Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

no photos here, but transporting slr on my bike?

Discussion in 'Luggage' started by rvpkash, Aug 5, 2010.

1. I'm not 100% sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move it.

I just got my first bike (2000 kawa zzr 250) and am realising that i'd like to go for rides to some destination and take photos.

Does anyone do this? I guess i'd be looking for a bag thats secure and can carry all my kit properly. But i'm a student so it'd have to be cheap.. Could I just strap my existing camera bag on to my bike somehow?
    it's similar to this one

My kit that i would like to take with me would be
    canon 450d
    17-55 f/2.8
    maybe 580exii but can do without
    and would love to take my tripod..

any ideas or solutions?
  2. I have a Nikon D90 with a 35mm f1.8 prime, a 50mm f1.8 prime, a 18-200 zoom, a flash and sundry other stuff in a Lowpro Nova 190 bag.

It fits nicely into a Ventura rally pack rack bag or most standard size top boxes.
  3. 1 word

lowepro is king

ok 3 :)
  4. i have lowepro sling bag and it works a treat with canon d450 + 2 lenses with heaps more room for other shite
  5. Pez - do you just wear the sling?

im not sure if i can spring for a rally pack at this stage.

how about a tank bag?
  6. Beware of carrying cameras on bikes. Vibration is your camera's enemy (sad experience talking)
  7. It all depends on what gear you have want to take I have use a selection of bags I like think tank the most are available in australia through l&p in sydney
    when off to a sports event would take 2x bodies 300 2.8 and 70-200 and something wide
    so would use http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker-pro-backpack.aspx
    also have
    when traveling by plane
    and http://products.lowepro.com/product/Outback-200,2154.htm
    The outback holds slr with 70-200 attached and room for 4 cards and 2x smaller lenses eg 16-35 and 24 105 in the 2x side pouches also have a rigging harness
  8. man I just keep bumping threads, sorry.
    How would a top box with custom cut foam go? d700+grip, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 is the eventual kit. I do already have several camera bags, just not keen on wearing a backpack whilst riding. My plan for tripod/lightstands (manfrotto nano) is to get a pannier mounting system then make some tube shaped carriers out of PVC - tripod and umbrellas one side and 2 lightstands other side - feasible?
  9. Ruski I just make sure there is padding in my topbox and toss the camera bag in it, the bag itself is padded, add to that any padding whether it be wet weather gear folded or whatever is enough.
  10. thanks Smee, I hadn't even thought of that to be honest but it sounds like the ideal solution. (when I can afford a top box/mounting solution anyway)
  11. Another help is wrap the camera in a bubblewrap bag then into the camera bag, bubblewrap is god's gift to padding.
  12. Lowepro backpack, $30 on fleabay, it's padded and has all the pouches you need..