Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No more procrastinating

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by NorthsideChick, May 24, 2015.

1. I am a 45 yo female wanting to achieve a goal I have put off. I am just about to apply for my Learners and need some help from woe to go. I guess I need some support in what would be the best bike to buy for a chick that has never ridden before. I am going to do a QRide course for beginners once I buy a bike. So I can practice in the quieter streets near where I live with a few bike friends. Be nice to get some feedback. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Depends heavily upon a few things, and nobody here can make any solid decision for you in terms of most suitable bike. You have to sit on them, feel what it's like and decide for yourself.

Your height
    Your weight
    intended style of riding - road or off road, tour or commute
    need to carry luggage if any
    Do you frequently need to ride at highway speeds= better with larger capacity LAMS compared with say 125cc
    Intention of upgrading from RE to full license so a bigger bike eventually or keeping this one forever
    Most importantly, budget.
  3. #3 NorthsideChick, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
    Thanks Tweet. I just will be sticking to an RE license. Mainly cruising, little highway riding, touring possibly. Height 167cm 78kg. Just a secondhand bike dollar spend no more than $5000 at the most. Hoping really between $3500 to $4000. Will get a private roadworthy before I buy to ensure I don't get a dud. Appreciate your input
  4. Other things to consider, the style of bike you want.
    Upright commuter,
    More sporty stance
    Naked or full fairings
    New or old school
    All important.
    End of the day, you have to 'like' your bike.
    Motorcycling is a very emotional And personal thing.
    If you look at your bike & it doesn't make you smile,,,, you bought the wrong bike!
    I've have a 2010 Z1000, but love riding my little 250's.
    Spada & CBR250R. Both built in 1988.
  5. #5 NorthsideChick, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
    Thanks streetmaster. Are the bikes you mentioned Learner approved (Spada & CBR250R. Both built in 1988). I think I will get some lessons, go for my license then be able to try some at dealers and decide from there
  6. For $4k u get a ninja 250 that's only 2 or 3 years old with low klms. Can't go wrong
  7. Where do I go on this thread to find a mentor. I would like to hopefully learn to ride without the huge costs involved through schools to just get the hang of things. North side of brassy.
  8. G'day Northside,

Nothing stopping you from sitting on a few LAMS bikes at the dealers. It will give you an idea of the various seat heights and riding positions.
  9. Thanks Basejumper. That bike looks really cool considering I was looking at a cruiser. Now my mind is ticking!
  10. G'day and welcome to the forum NorthsideChick. Good on you for making a goal happen too. I don't have much to add to the suggestions and considerations given by others.

I particularly agree with jazzfan's suggestion to sit on some (as many as you can!) LAMS bikes at dealerships before settling on a particular model to buy second-hand. Also, budget as much as possible for riding gear and try on as many helmets as possible before buying.
  11. I think this is the best order to get things in, Northside. Best to get some lessons with a recognised school if you can't get a friend or family member to help out, plus you'll get to ride the school bikes which will give an idea about what you do want, and don't want, in your eventual purchase.

12. Thanks XJ6N and XMan. I am so happy I found this site for feedback. I will book some lessons over the next month once I get my Learners. Just need another week for me to practice and will head to Dept Transp. :)
  13. Thanks JazzFan
  14. Just a sidenote - I have been helping out at the Sydney Learners sessions over the last year and have seen quite a few people struggle to master slow speed maneuvers on a touring bike (You mentioned in an earlier post this is what you where thinking of?). It can be mastered, but is not the easiest process! 'Smaller' sized naked or sport bikes are more 'nimble' and easy to handle at low speeds. Can't go wrong with a cbr250 or a ninja 300 second hand. Try looking at the ktm duke or the kawasaki z300 if you like more upright naked style bikes. Sit on as many as you can untill you find the one that really 'stirs your soul'. That's the one you have to get!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. #15 XMan, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    The right bike will choose you, not the other way around!

Later edit: I notice Streetmaster has "disagreed" with me, below. Mea culpa - I was attempting to be light-hearted, likening bikes to those flying Banshee critters in "Avatar", who choose their rider and then bond with them for life.(y) (Please take all future advice regarding bikes from Streetmaster, who knows what he's talking about. For mythical beasties however: I'm your guy)
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Howdy & Welcome to NR!
  17. Sure are LAMS approved.
    The Spada is a naked, the fore runner to the VTR250 but with better handling, a more aggressive riding posture, more power & an extra gear.
    The CBR250R (or the RR) Is one of the most powerful (& fun) Lams bikes around. A true 250 super sport (full faired)
  18. Welcome. Lots of ladies on here seem to like there Kawasaki Ninja's and they fit in to your price range.
  19. Actually, the small sports bikes can have their own problems.

Where the rider is too nose down bum up, it makes it very hard for them to do the simple basic of looking where they want to go without straining their neck.
  20. Thanks GeorgeO for your feedback :)