Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No more BMW F800S in 2009

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by noods, Jan 8, 2009.

1. I've just been down to Southbank BMW here in Melbourne and they told me that BMW are not going to be importing anymore BMW F800S' in 2009 (although they will still be bringing in the F800STs).

The reason stated by the salesman was that BMW Australia had just brought in the F800GS, and that that had led them to having too many models and that this downsizing was to 'clean it up a little'.

This was a shock to me as this was one of the models I was looking forward to test riding once off my restrictions. So I thought I'd let others who were interested in this bike know as well.

I wonder if this will raise or lower the price of second hand models?

2. No loss, its a POS, worst suspension ever

3. For $15k base, its simply too expensive compared to all the other sporty bikes you can get for that amount of money.

Whereas for $15.5k base, a F800ST is a damn fine touring machine.

4. Any idea if the r1200s is continuing??

5. I'm sorry I didn't ask - but given that I'd heard nothing about the F800S then I wouldn't take anything for granted.

Hey Saba - that may be the case, but do you know of any other new sports bike on the marked with a belt drive (that's not a crazy-ass Buell)??

6. Nothing jumps to mind.

I'm quite fond of the belt drive too.

7. The S will no longer be imported into the USA either. If I didn't feel special enough on the BMW F800S, now I really am going to be part of an exclusive group. The ST is definitely the preferred model but it tends to be the combination of rarity and quality that contributes to a collectaible so I'm not complaining I have an S.

While people will have different opinions I'm still going to refute that the suspension on the F800S is the worst ever. Can't complain about the front and the rear is fully adjustable.

Nor is or that the bike too expensive. Granted you may be able to buy a Jap 600cc sport for the same money but you aren't comparing like with like. The S is about balance rather than all out performance. ABS, heated hand grips and belt drive and 4L /100km, longer model run, the BMW badge and reduced depreciation are what you are forking out the money for.