Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW No L plate.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by aaace, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I had a run in with an officer today who did me for no L plate. My L plate had snapped off and portion of it could be still visably seen and I believe if I hadn't taken the extra steps to secure my L plate (bolted on at top, cable tied at rear) I would not have lost 2 dermit points and be $230 poorer as the officer would not have even bothered stopping me if he hadn't had seen this.

I understand they need to enforce these types of laws but when it can be seen I have made an effort to keep my L plate on I still be punished. I would have though my 8 year clean car driving record may have helped aswell.

Am I in grounds to make a compaint with SDRO and what are the chances of actually benefiting from effort being put in fighting this?

(Picture was taken as officer was walking back to his car)

Attached Files:

2. The picture clearly shows there was a plate there, and it had snapped off... but the unfortunate thing is you can't prove WHEN it snapped off.

clearly the officer didn't use his discretion and decided to fine you, which is a really shitty thing, the fine and the demerit points is ridiculous for the offense.

i would fight it, write a letter,email.. or ring whoever.. and explain your situation and can they be lenient on this occasion, you have a clean driving record etc..

its worth a shot.. but it sounds like the officer was a dick, it is obvious your plate was attached at some point.. but i guess rules are rules..

let us know what the final outcome is.. because i don't think you should have to pay it/lose points for it.. as it wasn't something you did deliberately.
  3. As a matter of interest, when DID your plate snap off?
  4. There has been a few cases come up like this on net rider. I don't think any of them have been successful in an appeal though. But I don't think any of them had the remnants of the plate remaining.

It's worth the letter, but as crap as it is you were unwittingly in the wrong. The only law is that you must display the plates at all times, not at the start of your journey.
  5. Yeah the plate snapped off some time after the weekend as I had to change my license plate light. I told the officer this and his response was just "you should be checking every day". I understand this but come on.
  6. Then don't say it snapped on the weekend, say it was there when you left home that morning.

You can challenge it. If it goes to court, hope they weren't recording the exchange.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It's worth writing a letter to appeal. But it seems SDRO only allows appeals when the cop made an error of fact or interpreted the law incorrectly. That is, when they are satisfied that the fine is actually invalid.

So you have a better chance if 'the plate was there when I got on the bike this morning' than appealing for leniency because it happened sometime after the weekend.
  8. ..agree, say the plate was intact when you left the last stopping off point. BTW, the magnetic plates don't generally break or crack, because they are more flexible. My L & P plates stayed on the entire time, while bolted to the bottom of the rego.
  9. i think that you were hard done by. any reasonable officer would have given you a warning. they would have it logged on the system anyway....

sorry to hear of your misfortune.
  10. Yeah as he went back to his car to write up the fine he came back and handed me a L plate and told me to ensure I always have one on, why couldn't he just give me one and a bloody warning.
  11. Because he is an arsehole.
  12. Man that's tough.

I was riding last weekend and had my L plate attached in a similar way, and noticed that when I hit 80km/h it got sucked backwards and was scraping on the rear tyre and wasn't visible from behind - but was still attached.
  13. hehe I had my L plate and Number plates slide past me one night whilst stopping at a traffic light.
  14. Then I'd suggest you be creative and find a different way to attach it, b/c it won't be there for long. I was forced to have mine so that the hole on the plate was actually near the middle rather than at the top to prevent exactly that. Meant having to break out the drill and exercise my non-existant DIY skills.
  15. The whole displaying L and P plates rules are stupid. Really - what's the point of them?
    Are people supposed to drive more carefully around you? (ha ha yeah right).

The points are even more of a rip off than the money I reckon.

I might be wrong but I think its also an offence to display Ls r Ps if you are NOT on L's or P's ! In which case sharing a car with a parent, for example, would be a real PITA !
  16. I had the exact same issue when I was on my P1's and an asshole bike cop pulled me up. Same shit, he would never have known I was a P plater had I decided not to put the plate on at all - he only saw the white plastic and decided today was the day to be a c-word.

I wrote a letter to the SDRO and got off the penalty. You should include in your letter that it was on before you were pulled over and that you've since taken measures to ensure it doesn't happen again + it's your first offence etc. Include that photograph - I did the same and I think it helped..

Page 17 is the relevant one:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I know there is a big culture amongst L and P platers to leave only a tiny bit showing so that they can always argue that "it was there when i last checked", when they actually are embarrassed having it on. I think this is one of the most preventable fines possible as it so easy to keep the plate on there permanently (tip later) that anyone who has a broken or non-existent plate really has no excuse.
    -it is too easy to do a .1 second eyeball to see if its still there.
    -you said it snapped after the weekend, today's Thursday, thats 3 full days of riding that you didn't neglected it. One day? Fair enough. 3 is a bit much
    -if it snapped off only after 3 days of riding, I'm sure it's snapped off plenty of times before. You should've found a solution long before this time.

That said, the standard plates issued by the RTA are weak and fragile. I wrap mine in thick sticky tape (packaging tape), the clear type. DO about 3 layers and punch holes for the screws, Had mine on for about a year and its the same one, hasn't come off. If it cracks underneath the tape keeps it all together. Cut off the crinkly edges of the plate leaving only the flat part. Guarantee you won't have one come off again if you follow this tip.

And i don't think making an effort is enough when something is so simple and easy to avoid.

This is mostly a devil's advocate comment because noone is disagreeing with you so i thought i would.
  18. Same here, couple of holes drilled in the magnetic plate and bolted to the bottom of the number plate with two screws. Never had an issue.
  19. ouch. I got done for no plate on new years day this year, and only got pinged $122.
  20. Not really, if you need to put them off you take them off when you're finished. And they would mainly be used for police to identify what speed you can go (in NSW at least) I don't think there are speed restrictions for platers in some states (Which i agree with, driving under the speed limit is ****ing rediculous, plus the fact that supervisors actually take L platers on freeways at these speeds)
    • Like Like x 1