Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC No insurance, not at fault, a few q's please.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by FreddyB, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Yes I'm dumb enough to not have any insurance (Bike's not worth much more than the premium!) and I had a bingle a couple of days ago. :nopity:

A nice little old lady turned in front of me and I touched up her door pillar. I was only going about 30 or so, so no injuries to speak of. Bike is now even more dinged up than it was, however.

I have seen the letters of demand in the stickies, one of those will definitely come in handy.

I couldn't find much in the way of threads with people in a similar position, so have a couple of questions..........

She is with AAMI. Should I ring them first or just take my bike to my mechanic? (Brought it home on a trailer) Do they always send an assessor or just rely on a quote? Would they be likely to have a preferred repairer? Will they pay for a tow if they want it taken somewhere else?

Anyone have an idea of how long these things take to settle?

How is "Market Value" determined in terms of whether they write it off or not? (95 Yamaha XJ900)

If it was in "not quite showroom" :rolleyes: condition before the prang, does that affect the payout?

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance :)
  2. I'm sure some more knwoledgeable folk will chime in shortly, but for starters:
    Wouldn't hurt to ring to find out their processes and to see if the little old lady has put in a claim. Got a police report? 'Cause they might try to put you at fault.
    Can do either
    Irrelevant if they do. You're getting the bike fixed by your repairer, they're footing the bill. They might suggest it (I'd be surprised), but take the bike to someone you trust.

The piece of string is how long? Weeks, months...

Insurance companies have access to sales data, but from my (car) experiences they'll often base it on some current adds. Remember, if you go the write off path be prepared to negotiate. Consider their first figure an offer.
  3. Victoria Police no longer do reports for minor accidents
    Here is their new brochure.
    right click and select OPEN
  4. the advantage of having your own insurance in a no-fault accident is that everything gets processed behind the scenes and generally speaking payout from your company is quick, and then they recover costs from the other parties insurance company.

not having your own policy in this case shouldn't affect the end result, but dealing direct with this ladies company will probably mean you have to jump through more hoops for them, and it will very likely take longer to receive any payout.

as others have suggested - ring them directly and ask them what their procedure is. Don't wait and rely on this little old lady to make a claim because she most likely won't. You have her details so start the claim process yourself

good luck.
  5. Ring her insurance company and get a claim number. Maybe even tell them where you are taking the bike. Give the claim number to the mechanic. He will deal with the insurance company. At least thats what happened with us. (We had insurance but the other party admitted liability so we didn't go through our insurance company. We did ring them but they said not to put a claim in but to deal directly with the other insurance company and only contact our insurers again if it went pear shaped). Only becomes a drama if they want to write it off. Been down that route too and there is room for negotiation.
  6. I am not sure if the other parties insurance company can forcibly write off your bike, unlike your own insurer (if you had insurance) who is actually taking on the risk of your specific bike and charging a premium on it, 3rd party claims are non specific, therfore there is no actual value of the exposure at which point a write off becomes financially beneficial to the insurer. Obviously if you want it to be written off, or replaced, that's completely different.
  7. Thanks for all this. I rang AAMI today and the guy on the other end actually seemed pretty reasonable. (Not that I'll probably end up dealing with him :( )
    He almost laughed when he read her description of the prang. Motorbike speeding around a single lane of traffic. Ha ha. Speeding at 30k an hour in the LEFT lane. Some people just don't like admitting they made a mistake. No doubt I should have been more alert myself and kicked myself afterwards, but thankfully it's pretty obvious who's at fault. Letter of demand and 2 quotes required, then hopefully she sees the error of her ways.... which begs another question...

If the client thinks they're in the right, I assume the insurance company will set her straight rather than fight me? (Fingers crossed)

Even though it was fairly minor damage, given the age of the bike, I would assume it would be cheaper to write off?? Not too fussed either way really. She has been a great old girl for 7 or 8 years since getting off my restrictions. Ultra reliable, but then, a couple of grand toward a new bike might be OK too.

Does that mean it's all essentially negotiable? i.e. if the quote to fix is 3000, then I can say "give me $3000 and you can have it instead"?? " Does prior condition, extremely low k's (or high), Mint (or crap) condition have much bearing on what they are likely to offer if it's a writeoff?
  8. Yes and yes. Why wouldn't it?

9. Been down this route about 20-something years ago with a cage-to-cage accident. Essentially, the ol' muppet decided to go through my car to buy petrol whacking me on the RH rear quarter panel. All appeared fine until two days later when I presented him with the required two quotes at which point he became hostile; claiming it was my fault and that I was a "devil worshipper". Quite clearly, he'd changed lanes without due care but he didn't see it that way. I was a young reckless loon who was speeding and I'd hit him, not the other way around!

I was attempting to get things sorted without going through my insurance (damage was reasonably minimal BUT I had attended a police station to make a report) and was clearly not getting anywhere with my letters of demand and phone calls so I enlisted AAMI (my insurer) onto the case. The other party was insured with GIO and he held "gold member" status which meant he was able to have an "at fault" accident without it affecting his NC bonus. He wouldn't budge until GIO threatened him with cancelling his insurance and being blacklisted if he didn't sign the claim form.

I did eventually get the outcome I was expecting but it took several months to sort out. Not sure whether if I'd been doing this without the clout of my insurer the result would have been the same or it would have wound up in the same time frame.
  10. what can happen is they subtract the salvage price of the bike from the payout and give you the money and the bike.
  11. Hi,

Lots of good advice above. My son had an accident in March and it's now August and we're still trying to resolve it. We have third party insurance but believed the driver was at fault. While we thought we were "negotiating" with the company, they just went ahead and repaired the car (without telling us). In the end, we were more or less forced to make the third party claim, with the alternative being to find a lawyer.

The key question seems to be who hit who? If you hit the car, no matter what the driver did, it's possible that insurance will try to blame you by saying that you "failed to maintain a safe distance." You then have to show that the driver contributed to the accident. If the driver admits fault, all's good. If they don't, life gets complicated.

In the meantime, get a couple of quotes on your bike repair. The insurance companies have tables of "current market value" and, if the repair quotes exceed the market value, they offer to pay you out. You can also ask a local wrecker for salvage value (it'll be an amazingly low amount).

Repair quotes include parts (new, if available), labour (not cheap) and prices can be inflated (apologies to any repairers reading this). If the damage isn't too bad, and it shouldn't be for a low speed roundabout bump, just get second-hand or aftermarket parts and fix it yourself.

Of course if the bike had previous damage, that massively complicates the insurance claim. Better not to let them know ... <re-reads OP> ... hmmm perhaps too late for that.

Finally, you should get third party insurance, just in case.

12. Also research the current value of your bike if it was undamaged through bike sales sites and so fourth. If it is worth $3500 but would cost $3000 to fix it, they may not want to fix it, but may, for example, only offer $2000 in settlement.

Don't accept less than the full value of the undamaged bike, and they get to keep it, or the full cost of repairing the bike, and you get to keep it.
  13. I cleaned up a car which did a right turn in front of my car about 5 years ago.

I rolled through an amber light (or I would've got hit from behind by a semi) but the other driver claimed it was red and managed to get the driver he hit after cannoning off me to back him up (which was interesting as I was able to show photo's to my insurer that the other driver had no visibility of our lights).

Anyway my insurer held on to my $400 excess for 18 months until the other drivers insurer caved in when they all eventually worked out that a vehicle turning right must give way to all other vehicles (& it doesn't matter if they run a red or not).

Oh, the other car was an Avis renter so they not only tried to get me for the repairs but the loss of revenue as well which was a tidy sum but having full comp insurance meant I was covered for it all.
  14. Sorry if it's a dumb question. Just thought they might have a set value or something. It's my first insurance claim on the bike. I guess I'll figure it all out. :)
    Thanks for the additional posts. (y)
  15. Market value is an insurance industry term for the price your vehicle would be expected to command on the open market
    in its current state. This is not the same as the trade-in value or the price that a particular buyer would pay for your bike.
    The exact amount will be determined using industry guidelines such as Glasses Guide or Redbook, with allowances made
    for the condition of the vehicle, distance travelled and any approved modifications or additions made.

16. 'market value' from my experience is about 20% less than the replacement cost. and is different for each insurance company.
    I've been chasing insurance quotes for our car, every insurance company has had a different market value, varying between $10k and $14.4k.