Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No history/log books

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Johno, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Hi guys, just got my learners and hoping to do the stay upright course in the next couple of weeks to get legal. The problem is I have found plenty of great potential bikes but they dont have log book servicing. I have learnt from owning tin tops that a service history really matters. What are your thoughts.

2. Hi and welcome. Service history is good but it's not the be all and end all. It helps with resale and can give you a warm fuzzy feeling but at the end of the day the condition, age and kms of the bike are what matters, at least to me.
    In short if you find a bike that meets all the criteria but has no service history I wouldn't necessarily discount it altogether.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Congratulations on your L's, and great choice to get some rider training done so early on.

As Mcsenna has said, a service history is good, but not always the be all and end all. Something you can always do, when you narrow your search down, most genuine sellers would let you have a pre purchase inspection done (at your cost), this may help alleviate some concerns before handing over your hard earned. Obviously, a mechanic that you trust to get an honest opinion back from helps too. But, depending on where you live, ask around here, many can point you towards shops they've had good experiences with.

Good luck with your search for a bike, lots of great choices out there now for learners.
  4. Hi and welcome.
    What area are you in / from?
  5. It would not be a deal breaker for me. But I would expect to pay a little more for a similar bike that had evidence of regular services. I would ask the owner how often they changed the oil, when was the last oil and filter change, what oil did they use (someone who never changed the oil might have trouble with this one), how often did they oil the chain, how long since the brake lines have been flushed etc.

You could get an idea of how fresh the oil is by looking at the window if it has one. Similar for brake fluids but that is a less reliable guide.
  6. My thoughts are that you should look for pitted or weeping forks and condition of chain/rear sprocket, easy to see and not exactly cheap to fix. I think I would be slightly more hesitant to buy a known highly strung or unreliable model with no history.