Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured No glove, no love

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Duke at Eee, May 11, 2015.

1. I was asked the other day why I don't wear leather gloves. Sometime ago I used to wear them and I was finding that my palms were becoming red and really itchy, every time I rode so I started taking antihistamine to keep it in check. Unfortunately it got worse over a period of time so I went to the Drs. It was identified that I had an allergy to the chemicals they use in the tanning process and it was causing the effect as the leather was in direct contact with my skin. Jackets and boots are fine but not gloves. I am now into my third pair of DriRider Adventure gloves and sure they aren't as good as leather but they do the job and I certainly wouldn't ride without gloves, not only would it hurt but who could I get to wipe my Rs if my hands were bandaged? Anyway for you noobs and maybe some others, keep this in mind if you find you're getting red and itchy palms when you're out and about

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Get some nitrile rubber (hygiene type) gloves, slip them on, then wear your normal riding gloves. Job done.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. I tried the latex ones but with the summer humidity up here in Qld, my hands looked like I'd been in the pool far to long
  4. Sounds like you're between a rock and a pruney place.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I wonder if cotton gloves under leather would work Duke at EeeDuke at Eee . Annoying dilemma though.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. I got myself some cotton gloves too keep the fingers warm in winter ... as GoldenberriGoldenberri mentioned they might be the way to go..

Although mine have the tips so you can use your mobile phone (not sure how thats going to work when my leather gloves are over these :p)

• Like Like x 2
  7. And here I was thinkin my itchy palms were a sign of too much self-lovin'!!
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Thanks Goldenberri, I might try your suggestion when I'm up for my next pair of gloves
    • Like Like x 1
  9. inner glove liner? might be too warm though
  10. I agree with the cotton gloves. I work in a laboratory and sometimes you are in gloves the whole day. We wear cotton gloves with Nitrile gloves over the top. Works a treat. I have some staff that even get contact dermatitis with Nitrile gloves and this fixed it to a fair degree by wearing cotton gloves underneath them.
  11. can you make me a female herman the monster?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. No, but I can tell you if you have Prostate Cancer! lol ;)
  13. close enough
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Funny thing is, my mobile touch screen works fine with my leather gloves. But I only found that out after forgetting to take therm off once, so not sure if they did when new and none sweat absorbed.
  15. WKD60WKD60 you disagreed with my post about nitrile gloves. Why?
  16. Thanks for the informative post re leather allergies btw Duke at EeeDuke at Eee, but I'm not sure when the decision to wear textile gloves became one that we had to explain. (For the record, I wear mine because they're warmer.)
  17. It's funny hyperspex because the guy I was telling then told me that his young son was getting the same irritation from his dirt bike gloves
  18. Yeah it's funny, all our bodies react differently to various chemicals. I won't bore you with the details of my struggles with antiperspirants but long story short, I have to get my wife to buy mine nowadays.
  19. you using femfresh?
    • Funny Funny x 4
  20. It's also not uncommon for people to develop allergies as they get older. Especially women. I've never been allergic to anything in my life and ended up allergic to 'something' (not sure what) after I was bitten by a spider on the neck. Smack bang in the middle of the Canning Stock Route. I have to carry antihistamine with me now.
    • Informative Informative x 1