Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

no fuel gauge

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by lopsided, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Okay, so here's the story. Get ready to point and laugh. :LOL:

Got the new bike, rode it around for a few hours slow, had a rest. Got on later, and it would not go. Realise at this point, that there is no fuel gauge. Go into panic mode, thinking "Petrol! You moron! You're probably out of petrol!" Flip the lid on the fuel tank and peer around inside. No idea what I'm looking at, but can see zero liquid on either side. Flip it onto reserve and still doesn't go. ARRRGH.

Finally I do the walk of shame home (helmet in hand) intending to get a jerry can and credit card and get some petrol at the servo near my house. Read the manual, and oh yeah, there's this thing called the choke. *blushes* Problem solved.

But it made me think about refilling. I googled "no fuel gauge" and it says to reset your kms after you fill up and then by the distance you can judge when you're going to need to fill up again. Am planning to do this when I top up later tonight.

Now is this the right thing to do? Or is there any other way to tell? (Uh other than the obvious "sputtering to a halt at a busy intersection" etc.)

Thanks in advance,
  2. I know I'll get 230km's out of a decent tank of fuel on my bike.

I'll usually fill up before or around 200k's, just to factor in crappy fuel... or 'enthusiastic' riding :grin:

No fuel gauge or light on my bike either.

... ye olde shake the bike and listen for splishy-splashy can also be a highly accurate indicator depending on how experienced you are ;)
  3. Oh yeah! Just went outside and tried that, think it will work. (Typical noobie, the splashy sound has been there all day but I hadn't made the connection that it was the petrol!) Thx. :)
  4. Its all part of the learning process.
    But on the plus side @ least you remembered the reserve.

Quite a few of us have forgotten that in the heat of the moment. :LOL:
  5. Hey, lopsided,

What you've described is pretty much standard procedure on bikes without fuel gauges/lights.

You'll probably find that a lot of the time your main supply will run out while you're moving, not stopped at the lights (that's always been the case with me). If that happens the bike will usually sputter and lose power, but if you switch to reserve while still moving you can usually just get straight back on the throttle and keep going - no need to pull over and stop.

If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favour and practise switching to reserve while moving. Just don't forget to switch back again.

Personally, if I'm close to the point where I'd normally switch over and I know I'm heading into an area where I need full concentration (e.g. curves or high winds) I'll switch over a little early while still on an easy bit of road.

Hope that helps you a bit.

As for pointing an laughing at you, don't worry - I'm pretty sure everyone here as done at least one similarly dumb thing at some point. :)
    Mine was getting off the bike and putting it on the sidestand - while the sidestand was still up (yes, folks - another name for that is "dropping the bike on its side") :oops:
  6. :rofl:

everyone does it at some stage, so at least you are not alone.

in the old days, before electricity and tv we used to get one of mums wooden spoons and dip it in the tank to see how much there was in there. kinda like a dip-stick.
    but then we would get our butts kicked from here to next week so its not the best solution.
    use the odometer method, that is a good guage and also if your bike under normal circumstances begins to use waaayyy too much fuel you will notice real fast and know to get it to the mechanic ;)
  7. Don't worry about it!

I spose a similar noise could come from your battery... if you REALLY need a new one :)
  8. Joel, before I googled it, I was thinking that too!! Like with the oil on the car!!

The wooden kebab skewers though (that you throw away) probably would have gone down better with your mum than the wooden spoon, though. :shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies, I don't feel like such a dork now. *sigh of relief*
  9. Odometer method works for me. I have a fuel tap for each cylinder and the front one has a shorter tube to the back, SSSSOOOO it turns into a 450 for a while 'till I flip both taps then it's back to a 900 again :grin: . Usually at 180ks (distance) it needs to go over. Once youve ridden the thing for a while you'll get used to it. And BTW didn't they teach you to F.I.N.C.K about starting the bike. Fuel , Ignition , Neutral , Choke , Kill switch :wink: . saves a lot of embarrassment if you mentally run through each time you get on.
  10. This is my one and only time of running out of gas!!!

When I upgraded from a 250 to my 750, I didn't really give much thought to petrol consumption.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!

Riding back northbound from the south of sydney on a Friday night and just at the entrance to the harbour tunnel, the new bike starts spluttering and making strange (to this new owner) sounds and I thought I had lost a spark plug. NO TURNING BACK NOW!!!

Got to the bottom of the tunnel and NOTHING!!! :facepalm:

I dismounted to the left of the left lane and I was SH@#TING myself. :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

Started walking the bike with cars and trucks blasting past within inches of my right handle bar.

I walked about 50m until the little light in the head came on!! :idea:

Switched to reserve, turned it over and got on the saddle as quick as I could and sped outta there! :bolt:

There is a huge fine for running out of fuel in the tunnel or bridge!!
    Geezzz, I'm just shi@#ting myself just typing this!! :rofl: :rofl:

Ever since, I reset the tripmeter and fill up at 200 klms religously :rofl:

My wife couldn't understand the brown undies at all :rofl: :rofl:

11. Could have been worse. I thought you were going to say "when I looked into the tank, it was all dark, so I lite a match so I could see"
  12. i know of a bitumen tanker driver that did exactly that after delivering a 25000L load of cutback bitumen (bitumen with 15% kerosene) it went BOOM and he got very badly injured, lucky to be alive really.....
  13. howcome zzr's have 2 trip meters?? one for fuel, one for, i wonder how far it is to work and back?????
  14. ah well, we have all been there or very close to it ;)

least you can look forward to a new bike one day, larger CC, and with fuel injection, it will have a reserve/low fuel warning light come up when there is a few litres left.
  15. G'day everyone............

When I had my CB250 I did 356kms on the main tank and still did'nt need to get to resurve.
    However,.........I used that as a guied to how far I could go.
    It is a 200km round trip for me to go to work and back so I filled up every day on the way in.
    Used to cost me $7.00 per day.
    Gee I loved that 250.
    I can recomend the "Trip Meter" method.
    Have fun eh.

Dr Who?
  16. I used to wonder that too.. :grin: And yes the odometer resetting is the only way to go.

17. point and laugh at this while on a ride down to denilliquin my bike completely shut down was certain it was feul as i had just fuelled up in the last town, after sitting on the side of the road waiting pateintly for some1 2 come back n playing with key and fuel tap, btw the no phone service... old man comes back, somehow i managed 2 hit the kill switch, d'oh
  18. I know not everyone here is a fan of the Hyosung, but my GT250 (just run in) gets about 30km/l and has a 17 litre tank.

The fuel gauge is kinda crazy and drops really quickly after the 300km. I fill up when it is right on empty and still only put 12-13 litres in the tank.

I usually fill up at about 350-400 but judging by the fuel economy (riding sensibly ) :p I should be able to get about a 500km range.

I won't be testing it any time soon though.

19. ^That's pretty friggin' sweet economy :shock:

Mine's ABOUT 20km/L... stoopid FZR
  20. Just an update to an old thread.

Riding home from work two days ago, doing 80kms an hour, three lane peak hour traffic, slight uphill incline... and I feel the bike lose power. First thought, "Maybe I'm in the wrong gear, too high, too high!" Change down but it doesn't make a difference. Bike goes dead. I have minor heart attack, but have the sense to indicate left, pull the clutch in and roll (with a fair bit of speed still, thank goodness) into first side street i see.

Anyhoo, check the choke, the kill switch. Both okay. It won't go. Memories of the bloke going, "Now make sure it's warmed up before you ride" echo in my head and I kick myself for not idling longer before going, but in the end getting desparate I flick the petrol switch thingie onto reserve and TA-DAH! It goes.

Funny thing is, when I filled up it was always a bit perplexing to me that I only ever needed about $5-8 worth of fuel before the bowser would click and stop, even though my GPX has an 18 litre tank or something. I rang my dad (ex-rider, and very anti-bike now) and told him what happened, and he goes, That's cause you're poking the nozzle in too far. You're meant to pull it out and fill it up to an inch before the top, ask anyone. :roll:

And also you know someone said earlier in the thread "learn how to flick the switch when riding" and I was thinking, I'm not going to do that! Because:

1. I'm never going to run out of petrol! I'm too smart/organised for that!
    2. No way am I taking my left hand off of the handlebars for that long! Too scary!

But now I am going to practice. Cause I realise that it was just luck that I was in a lane where I could exit when I ran outta fuel. They should teach learners that in the course. If I had been in the middle lane and I could not get the bike going again I would have been TOAST.