Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No Fear founder Marty Moates dies at 49

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by undii, Dec 14, 2006.

1. It appears "No Fear" founder found some fear from motorcycle related injuries and commited suicide :cry:

From http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061213-054821-5417r

LA COSTA, Calif., Dec. 13 (UPI) -- Marty Moates -- a motorcycle champion who was later a founder of the No Fear sportswear firm in California -- has died at 49 in an apparent suicide.

Moates' wife, Heather, found him in his car near their home in La Costa, north of San Diego, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Friends said Moates was living in great pain from old motorcycle-related injuries.

Moates' upset victory in the 1980 U.S. Grand Prix of Motocross at Carlsbad Raceway was a landmark moment in American motorcycle racing history. No American had defeated the more experienced European riders in 10 years of the U.S. round in the 500cc world championship series.

His infectious smile and prankish sense of humor made him one of the sport's best-liked figures, the Times said.

With fellow racers Mark and Brian Simo, he later helped found No Fear, a clothing brand that appealed to adventurous young sportsmen. Moates was also president of FMF International, a spinoff of No Fear that specializes in motocross gear.

The FMF Web site said Wednesday Moates would "be greatly missed."

In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Dakota.
  2. Sad news. :cry: Especially sucks cause there are family left behind.
  3. don't worry mg i didn't know of the man either
    but nofear of cause i knew of that

it is a shame that his demons conquered him in the end
  4. This is very sad for his family and those who loved him.

It's also a reminder to us all that our fellow Netriders, who have been injured in accidents, may well have to live with constant pain for the rest of their lives, and will need compassion, support and lots of TLC.

This is from "peter_reebok" in the "Tazman" thread:

Still walking 20+ yrs after I was told I wouldn't again.

Still riding too.

BUt weather changes hurt a lot.

Marty's injuries and the aftermath must have been very severe if the pain led him to take his own life.

RIP a champion.

5. Poor dude. Condolences to his family.
    Yeah, chronic pain does serious things to people.

Must have totally gone nuts - the dude's an ex GP champ and chose to die in a car??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
  6. dang, shame that.

oh and
    dont look familiar to you? :shock:
  7. i had so many no fear products lke t's and shirts and stuff.. pitty i grew out of them :(

Regardless.. im sure he is riding on one wheel in heaven... with god as his pillion :)