Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No damage/injuries - luckily

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by James_Syd, Nov 3, 2010.

1. So about a week ago now I was travelling home from work (on the bike) and came to a set of lights... not too much traffic, I went into the far left lane (3 lanes) and stopped at the front. The left arrow got the go and there was a car behind me so I rolled across to the left side of the middle lane in front of the first car there noticed at that point in time that it was a young P-plate guy in a toyota supra with the music blaring. I saw the light go orange for the people travelling across the intersection and was about ready to take off when in the corner of my eye I saw the shadow of the supra moving forward, I looked up at the lights and they were green and was releasing the clutch when bang the supra hits my leg and takes off!!
    As I had only just started moving and didn't know what he was doing and didn't want to get hit again I swerved a little into the left lane and thankfully the car that was in that lane did not move as he saw what had happened (imagine I fall and the car takes off over the top of me) and so I took off in that lane and absolutely rang the bike out got next to him still in first, however with adrenalin pumping and not being injured I went past him and then had to merge into his lane.
    After a few seconds I thought I'm not going to let him get away with this so I slowed hoping he would go past me and I could get his plate, but he obviously knew what I wanted to do so he put his blinker on to turn left in a street that I had already gone past. I then looked forward again to monitor traffic and then glanced in my mirror and saw that he had not turned, again started to scan traffic and glanced in the mirror and he was gone, by now I had already gone past the next street so I turned left down the second street after where he had gone and got to the end of that street and stopped and waited to see where he would go, after about 10 seconds I decided to go to the street to which he had turned down and as I went past the street in between I saw his car turning back onto the road we had turned off (road of the incident). I couldn't turn there so went up the next one and got to the road of the incident and couldn't see him, I turned and started proceeding, stood on the pegs to try to spot him in the traffic but couldn't find him!!!
    Have kept an eye out since and looking forward to seeing him again as the fact that he did the runner made me even more irrate and now I really want to report it to my friends at the police station in my building!! I mentioned the story to one of them and the first thing she said to me was "you were speeding to get past him weren't you.... glad your ok though" and started laughing, she said if I get his plate they will note it against his record and it could help someone else one day!!

Good to keep that last point in mind in the event of an incident.

2. glad to hear you are OK, James. Every time i rode, I always avoid getting close to those supra noisy music kind of guy. It doesn't mean they are all trouble makers, but who knows.

I guess what you learnt this time is not to stop in the left lane if there is left turn signal. I often stay in the middle lane at big intersection just in case someone wants to turn left and makes me move. This is always a potentially dangerous situation.

Hope you didn't get hurt.
  3. Out of courtesy I always move to the next lane over to let em through, but if theres no room in the intersection for me or they're just being a knob about it I'll stay put. Chuck it in neutral and get off the thing and stare at em if they start getting aggressive. Drivers do it all the time, why shouldn't we be allowed to considering it's the only legal option if you're in that situation?