Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No chain? No transport!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Matty J, Feb 16, 2006.

1. I rode out of my driveway yesterday, and as i took off my chain jumped off the sproket. I havent been riding long (bout 8 months) and dont have any other form of transport or much money, (or anyone who can give me a hand!) so i am going to attempt to fix the problem myself.
    I called my old man (Who has been riding for eons..) and he gave me a "run down" of exactly what i have to do.. but i just want a second opinion of whether its a good idea to try and fix it myself (with his good advice with me of course!) or should i wait and get someone to help me?? Just moved to melbs so dont know anyone, but still need to get to work. My bikes a '81 GSX250
    Any advice for the newbie? Matty J :grin:

2. Did he say .. put chain back on sprockets, making sure it's not twisted. Then tighten chain adjustors to correct chain tension! ??
  3. Chains don't routinely fall off in my experience. You say you've been riding for 8 months. Have you been maintaining your chain? Checking/adjusting/lubricating? Did the chain break or just jump off the sprocket(s). It may be as simple as loosening your adjusters right off, re-fitting the chain and then tightening it to the right tension. On the other hand, there could be all sorts of other problems.
    I'd be inclined to get the bike to your local bike shop if you can. At least that way you'll get some advice about why the chain came off.
    Good luck.
  4. What he told me was this.....
    " Put the bike on the centre stand, and loosen the wheelnuts so i can move the wheel inwards (towards the front end of the bike) so i can get the chain back on the sprocket. when i have done this, i have to pull the wheel back to pull the chain tight against the sprocket, and before i tighten my wheelnuts i have to spin the wheel and check how much play i have with the chain, he says i should have only 2.5 cm up and down." He then went on about the tight spot in the chain, and although he has told me this stuff thousands of times, i still dont understand! this is all new to me but i want to learn and would like advice from y'all that know what your doing..
  5. sjestory, you are probaply right, as he has been insistant that i oil my chain every week, and i'll be honest, i havent been doing this, and may have worn my sproket as he had warned, My bad, i know... i'll try and loosening my adjusters to get the chain back on as you say, and down to the bike shop (bout 2 km away..) but how huge is the danger if i do something wrong?

Cheers Matty j :eek:
  6. If its just a matter of a loose chain that has come off you shouldn't have too many problems. The main thing is to make sure that the wheel is aligned with the frame. Most bikes have some sort of markings on the chain adjusters so that you can count the number on each side. If you don't have a handbook or at least an owners manual for your bike try searching the web for info about it. In fact there are other threads here about chain maintenance.
    As long as the wheel is straight, chain tension correct and all nuts/bolts re-tightened nothing disastrous should happen. Go for it.
    Sounds like pnut's maintenance course could be for you.
  7. I'll give it a go and let ya know how i get on....

thanx again, and let me know when they're enrolling for the peanuts maintenance course!

Matty j
  8. See how usefull it would be if you at least listed a suburb in your profile.

Melbourne is a large place. If your profile said Hoppers Crossing/Werribee then I would have been happy to duck out and help you fix it.
    Had it said Brighton/St.kilda I'm sure anyone around that area would have offered to help you.

When you don't list a suburb people do as I did, looked at the location and thought, pfftt, next.
  9. ... and next time... listen to Dad, he's not telling you this stuff to puff himself up.
  10. My brain is all screwy today. I read that as if the word 'danger' rhymed with 'whanger' and started giggling. Took me three or four re-reads for the proper word to formulate in my head.
  11. Oh, and go do PNUT's intro to spannersmanship course. You really ought to know how to fix at least the little stuff.
  12. There is actually a Haynes service manual available for your model GSX, you might want to look at picking up a copy.
  13. Where in Melbourne are you Matty J?

If you're close, I'd be happy to show you how to fix it ;)
  14. You could cut off part of your finder, and have to rush to hospital with it in a bandage and get it stitched back on to your stumpy finger ..... isn't that right Justin :wink:
  15. I live in Upper Ferntree Gully... Only just registered last night and am late for the bus so ill update my user profile later..
  16. Newbie needs help!

My chain has jumped off the rear sproket, and i've only been riding a few months.

My only day off is today (Friday) and would appreciate if anyone in the area could give us a hand fixing this problem... I live in Upper Ferntree Gully..

Give me all the shit you want about not knowing how to fix a simple problem if you like, but im not a mechanic..

Im not gonna ask you how to make a bernaise sauce!!

Matty J :p
  17. I would think it was simply hollandaise with fresh herbs (I like to add alittle lemon juice as well as the usual white vinegar). Emulsion sauces are great fun, aren't they! Sure give the wrist a nice workout...

Can't help with your chain sorry! All of the info in the other post should have helped:

1. Loosen off the axle nuts, then push the wheel all the way forward (keep jiggling it, it'll get there)
    2. Put the chain around the sprocket
    3. Pull the wheel back, making sure that both sides are pulled back the same amount (so the wheel's straight), there should be markings near the axle bolts, so that you don't have to guess.
    4. Tighten up the axle nuts.
    5. Adjust the chain to the right tension. If you're not able to do this, it should be safe to ride it somewhere if you've managed to get the chain back on at least.

It's all very similar to a pushbike!
  18. There's a small chance you may not be able to get the chain back on without undoing (i.e. breaking) the links.

Depending on how your chain is fastened, (rivet, link) you may need other tools.
  19. Wooo Hooo!!!

Thanx for all your advice everyone!

Got my chain back on, checked the tension at the tightest spot, made sure my chain was clean before doing anything, lubed it up after i was finished ( yes i know u usally lube things before "Gettin it on!!) and took her for a test ride!!

All is good!!

Thanx again!

Matty J :grin: