Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

No Back Brake!

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by SVBenno, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hi there!

I have a Suzuki SV650 that has been stored in a self storage unit for a year or two without use. I organised a bike towing company to bring it down to my home and I have had it on a trickle charge for the last week and I just fired her up to go for a quick ride and I have no back brake! I've checked that there is brake fluid and tried pumping the brake multiple times.

Does anyone know what could be the problem and any other things I could check or is just a case of pumping the brake lots of times to prime the brake line ... I'm clueless!

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Bleed the brakes

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Are there brake pads?

4. doe the brake lever have any resistance? caliper piston could be seized

if no resistance, see if the piston has just retracted, and moves in and out when you push the lever.
    if that is the case (and there is fluid in the reservoir) then you need to kinda hold the piston when it is pushed out.. it has to stay out to draw more fluid in, but if rubber seals are a bit stuck, then it retracts, doesn't pull in fluid, and doesn't pump up properly

5. A few youtube clips later and a trip down to supercheap and we're all good!

Bleeding the brakes worked a treat gentlemen! Thankyou

What tyre pressures do you recommend I run? I have Bridgestone Battleaxe's - The tyre says max load at 42 PSI and 325 Kg's. I'm about 75 Kg's.

6. Front 33 , rear 36

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Whatever pressure it says on the swingarm sticker.

8. Thanks for the advice guys - it's appreciated!

I went down to the petrol station and set them at 38 PSI front and rear before asking you guys. They were running at about 17 to 20 PSI which explains why the bike felt weird!