Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja ZXR 250 GRRRRRRRRR....

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by greenrider, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Hi All, Just wondering if anyone has come across this little annoying problem with a ZXR Ninja 250 2004 model before. Its relatively low KM with 8500 on the clock, but what is happening from time to time (intermittantly), is that you wil be riding along, rain, hail or shine, and the engine starts to break down and then cuts out!! This to say the least is damn inconvieniant and dangerous. I generally pull over. wait afew minutes and then she fires up and starts off again like nothing was ever wrong. First time it happened I thought I ran out of fuel!!, but this is not the case. Other than that she rides like a dream and is very responsive and smooth. The problem I have because it only happens once every few days and behave perfectly otherwise its difficult to diagnose. Anyone heard of this before??? Thanks.

2. We had a spate of these 6-12 months ago.

Fuel tank breather.
    Vacuum lines in general, but especially the one to the fuel tap
    Fuel lines.
  3. I had simlar experience riding to and from Sydney from Melbourne.
    The bike would get very hot and I'm guessing caused fuel vapourisation.
    Let it cool down and then was alright.
  4. Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention it happens whether the bike has been riden for an hour or more or if Ive been on it for 5 minutes!! Will check out your suggestions. I suspect that a pulse width modulated solenoid that allows fuel to flow from tank to carbies only when vaccum applied or engine is running, could this be a possiblity??? Im ripping my hair out here, going to be bald soon.. :roll: Thanks.
  5. an idea ... check ur battery terminals, mates zx6r had the positive loose and it was doing the same thing as your bike, worth a quick look anyway

6. Oh yeah check the terminals...

check all the fuel lines any vacuum lines... and coils!!
  7. Thanx people, will do all that and let you know it all works out over the next few days. If I dont get any joy not sure what I'll do with her next. (Bit hard to take her to a machanic when she does nothing wrong at the time!!)
  8. G'day everyone,.....

Sorry this is still happening to you Greenie,...

Did you get to cheak the wireing loom to see if no water go into it from sundays ride in the rain,.....

Short of the sugestions above I can only advise monitoring the bike whilst on a dyno to see the problem develop in real time.

Just a thought.

Dr Who?
  9. No. As above it's a direct vacuum line that connects to the fuel tap. It operates a spring loaded plunger inside the tap. If there is a vacuum leak then the plunger half closes and you get fuel starvation.
  10. It might be a bit of accumulated crap swirling about in your carburettor float bowls, and blocking the jets...