Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja 300 Tyres - Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 Vs. Dunlop Α-12

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by SydneyNinja300, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

This is my first post so be kind :)
    Picking my Ninja 300 up from the dealers tomorrow. After spending some time reading people's reviews of the bike, there seems to be one repeating issue. The tyres. (Apparently RoadWinners aren't really winners after all...)

First thing I'll be doing with the bike is replacing the tyres. I've done a little bit of reading and narrowed my decision down to either the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 or the Dunlop alpha-12.

As is with these types of threads I'd appreciate anyone's experiences, comments and recommendations.

Open to suggestions too.

Thanks in advance.
  2. I run rosso corsas on my street triple and love them. I think rosso 2s are a bit more an all round tyre with better wet grip and a bit less dry. had pirelli angels before and they are good, so I'd suggest the pirellis, which seem to be in the middle.
    but get them changed at the first service. you won't be going hard until then and you might as well square of whatever it comes with, unless you want to try and sell the oem ones unused on ebay.
  3. Welcome, it'd be a good idea to introduce yourself by starting a thread in the welcome lounge.

Are you a new rider? What type of riding are you planning on mostly doing? My 2c is keep the stock tyres as your other choices are overkill
  4. Agree with bigdan. Those tyres are definitely overkill if your new to riding. they are aimed at purely fast twisty road ride, who do track days.

I have used the Dunlop alpha on the rgv, on the road only riding the twisties and the track. They are super sticky and heat up really quick. They dont last long though, was averaging 3000 or less kms for a rear.
  5. I run the Rosso II's on my Daytona... yes, they are nice and sticky (although I had a moment in the rain last Sunday where I did a massive power slide on Ryde Rd over a diesel spill I failed to notice). Next set I want to try are the Metzler M5's though. I'd have to agree with bigDan and natta; if you are new to riding I'd be leaving the stock tyres alone for the time being. Put down some km's on the stocks, get to know your bike and your abilities before you go spending additional money on tyres - do you have all the required safety gear?

PS. Do yourself a favour and a) fill in your location of your profile, and b) post an introduction here.
  6. or you could do what i did with our VTR and put Pilot Power's on there if there's enough space on the rear to go to a 150/65.

it's up a class of tyre to a proper sports tyre, and the single compund seems to be holding up pretty well.. presumable cause of the reduced loading compared to being on a bigger bike.

Blaise might be right though, if you're a new rider then the chances are it wont be your tyres grip that lets you down, rather your lines or confidence... do a few k's... you can always change them later. I put on the PP's cause we desperately needed new tyres on the bike and while it gives my gf a bit of extra grip which is nice, it's probably more beneficial for me cause i chuck the bike around more and am used to that level of grip.
  7. #7 Myke, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    I have a cbr250 and I thought about changing the stock tyres as well- they are Road Winners as well. In the end I didn't.

My advise is don't bother. The Road winners are fine for the smaller bikes (well definitely for the 250 anyway). You'll be scraping your pegs well before you get to the very edge of the tyre and they grip just fine - even on the track.

Have also spoken to guys on Ninja 250s at the track and same deal. Granted your bike has an extra 50cc... but I don't think that will change the bike's weight by much.

Save your $$ for the next bike/other cost.

Also what the guys said above is true in my experience. You'll be shitting yourself before you get close to scraping your pegs on the roads in the early days. (and its not wise to do that on the roads either).

Just be careful in the first 400kms and explore the lean angles slowly and smoothly.
  8. This thread appears to have suffered a quiet death however I beleive there is some logic to going to Diablos.
    I have just decided that my Pirelli Sport Demons are cooked. After 10 000 ks the wear markers are sticking their heads out yet on the side there are yawning chasms of tread remaining. I have done mostly commuting with 10 or so spirited rides of around 500ks of victorias finest twisty tarmac. The blokes i ride with get better mileage from there 600's using pr3's and sport smarts than i got with my cheap and cheerful single compound, bias ply, dinosaur tyre on a diminutive zzr250 (with a less than diminutive 110kg me on it). For $430 fitted I can get Diablo's vs $340 for demons.
    To me it seems better mileage and better safety through the grip and compliance of modern tyre construction seems to be a better option than paying less for mediocrity.
  9. If money is tight, save it an keep the OEM's. If money is no object, then I'd get the Pirelli's, Pirelli make great tyres. I've never tried the Michelins but I hear that they are supposed to be even better than the Pirellis.
  11. Sorry bit of a ghost post there.
    On the money front it may be a case of false economy ie cheap tyres could wear faster and give you a better opportunity to fall off.
  12. Look at the Michelin Pilot Street , another tyre for the small bikes ..
    Message @MMMTS@MMMTS for prices :)