Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja 250R gear slip

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tonee, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I've got a 08 model with 88xxkm on it. The last oil and oil filter service was done at 6,000km

After shifting into gear and accelerating to about 5/6xxx RPM(just guessing, correct me if im wrong most of the time i don't really look at the rpm) the gears slips. This usually happens while I'm in 2nd gear and accelerating

I find it quite dangerous when the gears just disengages and slows bike down and with motion of inertia my body continues to accelerate.

I've heard by other 250R owners that there gears slip however mines been happening too often now so im more concern about it.

2. Hi Tony, the first thing I'll say is that your bike is too new to be displaying signs of a worn gearbox unless it has been abused or riden badly - which is most likely good news for you. Did you buy the bike new or second hand?

I don't know your level of experience so I'll go through the basics for you.

You need to know that the shift from 1st to 2nd always needs a firmer lift of the gear lever to make sure it goes in properly as you are going through the neutral position, on some bikes the throw of the lever can be longer for this shift than for the others. What is happening is 2nd gear is not fully engaging, and as the engine gets to peak torque (at about the revs you mention), the gear disengages and pops back into neutral.

You can do some things to make sure you are engaging 2nd gear properly:

1. Set the gear lever a little lower, so when you lift it with your foot you can be sure you have moved it through it's full range. Consult your owners manual, it takes about 2 mins to adjust and it's very easy, but a lot of riders never check it.
    2. Concentrate on making that 1st to 2nd shift very positive, it's easy to get lazy, or to think you have it right because you've done it thousands of times before, but just concentrating on getting that particular shift right can make a difference.
    3. Make sure your clutch lever freeplay is adjusted properly, again check your owners manual, another simple task that you should get used to doing.
    4. Lastly, when changing up a gear it is not necessary to pull the clutch all the way in to the bar, doing so unloads the gearbox completely. Try just pulling the clutch in to the slip point (similar to the take up point you feel when moving off from a standstill), this will leave some load on the gearbox and help with a more positive change.

Most riders have had their bike jump out of 2nd at some stage, I certainly have on various bikes, and on every bike but one I was able to solve the problem permanently by going through the above steps. If you apply all of the above tips and still have the problem then you probably have a gearbox issue which could range from a soft return spring to bent selector forks or worn dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Bunas