Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja 250R gear shifting issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Ebathory, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I'm having some issues with a 2012 Ninja 250r. Bike is a bit over a year old and done around 5000km. I'm the only owner and have had the first service completed at 1000kms.

Basically having issues shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. This problem started a good few months ago but was only occurring rarely so I put it down to user error (I'm a noob!) However it is now happening every time I ride the bike so I'm pretty sure it's mechanical. When I go to change gears the lever seems a bit softer than usual (floppy) and although I give it a firm lift with my foot it doesn't engage. I have to release the shifter completely and repeat the process which always works the second time around. Doesn't occur between any other gears although in the last month I've had the bike drop into neutral a couple of times when in 2nd or 3rd gear.

After doing some reading online I thought it might be a bent selector fork, although it seems that this would cause errors each time I shift in and out of the affected gear?

Bike has been dropped, bent the gear lever but replaced it myself with a new one, this happened the day after I brought it home though so not sure if this could be related as was a good 6-8 months before I started having any problems? Have checked all the parts I replaced all bolts are still tight and appear in good condition.

Hope I've included all the necessary info, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.
  2. Isnt the bike still under warranty?
  3. there's allot of people here better equipped to answer your question, so I'll just offer a couple suggestions which are pretty basic (like, noob level basic)

Clutch is adjusted properly?

is there any play in the shifting mechanism? (there's a bolt that controls how much a part of the linkage bites to the bit that actually rotates which then changes gears. While it may be tight, there could still be some play. I noticed that extra chain lube had gotten into mine and made it a little loose on my ninjette, but had no shifting problems)

is the oil in the bike more than six months old? The little ninja doesn't hold much oil (1.6L) and I've noticed a huge difference in shifting every oil change (although I presume thats fairly common)
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hey, thanks for the replies.

Mcsenna - yes the bike still is under warranty however I've been trying to teach myself about basic bike mechanics and if this is an issue I can resolve myself and doesn't involve me having to completely strip apart the transmission I'd prefer to have a go at it myself. Big believer of the best way to learn anything is to get in there and get your hands dirty!

Peppy - Have checked the clutch adjustment and that seems fine, will have a further look at the shifting mechanism tomorrow for what you mentioned. Also it has been around 6 months since my last oil change - was going to wait till my next service but this might be a good excuse to get in there and do it myself! Thanks!
  5. There is a very small amount of play in the shifting mechanism (maybe 1 - 2mm?) so this could be the issue. Also can see some excess grease, (I'd be guessing lube cast off from the chain while riding?) so I'm going to disassemble it over the weekend (need to borrow some tools from my brother) give it a good clean and make sure it is all nice and tight and not overly lubed when I put it back together. Let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for the suggestions bikefixer, I checked the adjustment again today and believe it to be fine, used a 50c coin which i measured at just on 2mm to adjust the play. It was pretty much that already - I'd estimate 1mm or less difference? On the wider side - last time I checked it I used a ruler though so maybe not as accurate as possible.

Once again I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out!