Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja 250 fuel tank whistle fix

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Locky28, Oct 8, 2010.

1. #1 Locky28, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Hi All,

With the weather heating up, this problem was getting worse. The whistle sound from the fuel fumes seeping out of the tank as it heated up was getting louder, and was happening more often than it wasn't, whether I was riding, waiting at lights, or the bike was simply parked in the sun. This was annoying and embarrasing, so something had to be done.

ugeNE_AKlbc[/media]]Here is a video of someone else's Ninja 250 doing the exact same thing. When at the lights, it's not short bursts, it goes constantly, and only stops for a few seconds before going again.

I did some research and found this thread:

It involves removing the fuel cap assembly from the tank and drilling out some vent holes a bit to allow fumes out better. I did the mod last night using a 2.5mm bit (bigger than the 3/32 mentioned in the thread, but it's pretty hot up here so prob more fumes evaporating). It's an easy mod to do.

Riding to work this morning and no "gayest sound in the universe" fuel tank whistle! Today is a little overcast and not as hot as some days, so I'll update this thread after the mod gets a true workout
  2. Not a peep out of it over the weekend so it looks like this has worked great (Y)
  3. It really bothered you that much?
    When mine whistles i usually rock it around at the lights for a moment and it stops it...
  4. It was constantly going on mine on a hot day, would only stop for 10-20 secs before going again and was really loud at times.
  5. My zx10 does it too and my model is notorious for doing it, i like to think it adds character ;) One day i might do something about it lol
  6. Yeah I saw a few ZX-6R riders mention they had it in that thread as well.
  7. I think it's pretty common across Kawasakis.
    I've had a 250R and 2x ZX6Rs and they've all done it.
    I guess it's like the Kawi tick.
    You learn to live with it
  8. Mates z750 is shocking for this too, I laughed at him, it's a great bike but then we stopped riding and I was like WTF is that? Oh it always does it.... Ahhhhhh annoying
  9. My ER6 does this and so did my XJR400 when I had it. I just tune it out.
  10. I don't mind it especially after a going on a nice ride and you park it. It's like it's having a little whistle to itself.