Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ninja 1000 or FZ1S

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by ursus, Jul 1, 2013.

1. I recently got my full license and now have the itch to upgrade my bike. Currently I have Ducati Monster 659. Ducatis are nice, but I cringe at the price of the fast ones.

Went to the shop last week and two bikes attracted my attention: Ninja 1000 and Yamaha FZ1S. Both are light and comfortable to sit on. Couldn't test ride them yet because of the miserable weather in Sydney, but planning as soon as.

Does anybody have any of those bikes? What are your impressions? What are the weak points? One of the things that are important is the comfort of the passenger seat. I would appreciate the opinions.

2. Both great bikes.

Not sure if the FZ1S has ABS as an option. May or may not be important to you.

I've not ridden the Ninja, but I have ridden an FZ1N......very capable bike. Good torque. Good road manners.

The only detracting feature was that it had little personality. Just a little sterile. Coming off a Duc, you might miss that.

3. Really you can't go wrong with either of them. Test ride them both and buy the one you like the most.

As @BitSar said, neither of them will have the character/soul of a Ducati.

4. After much research, one test ride and torturing posters on various motorcycle forums I eventually settled on the Ninja 1000. It is a truly great bike. It is nimble, handles well, sounds serious, looks good. Not particularly excelling in one area, but can do anything (except off-road) at a very good level, for me at least. So going through downtown Sydney is as easy as going to Penrith on M5 (err... or equally shitty in traffic...) More than enough power for my riding in any situation.

One of the things I like is its power distribution: its dyno graph is pretty a straight rising line. So, if you want to go faster you twist the throttle. Very different from my previous bike where power would taper out at around 5000 rpm and you had to gear up in order to accelerate.

Downsides so far. One - hard seat. Two - windscreen does not protect from the wind as well as I expected, so taller one (and goofier looking) may be better.

5. Pics or it didn't happen :D

6. Congrats mate. I took delivery of my ninja 1000 this week. Agreed on the windscreen and seat. Puig double bubble will fix the windscreen, and some diy will fix the seat if you don't want to outlay $300 for the sergeant seat.

Bloody close gearing though hey? 100% of city riding easily doable in 2nd only!