Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Nikola Tesla

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DisgruntledDog, May 15, 2012.

1. ahhhh god bless ya brother, that man there makes me proud being a Serb
  2. Tesla rocks. Love the Anti Edison stuff! lol

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  3. Edison bashing was good hahaha.

I must say though...every invention today or in the future, would have come from ideas from the people before. Patents and endless supply of journals of what is now useless, will come in handy in the future when some genius comes along and puts it all together.
  4. Tesla was cool but very very mental...
  5. Genius and madness, not that far apart. Genius with sanity and common sense, that extends beyond the subject's immediate field of expertise, that's impressive.

Given how well his early ideas worked, I've often been forced to wonder if his seemingly screwy later ideas could have been made to work as well. The principle difference was that the early stuff made it easy for a wealthy industrialist (or a venture capital company let's say) to build a monopolistic system, and lock everyone into it. His later ideas were aimed at breaking that lock-in, so they didn't quite receive the same level of support, and the general perception of his nutty-professor side suddenly got a heap more air-play. It's funny how you can be everyone's best and most trusted friend while you're making rich men richer, but a pathetic loonie when you start doing stuff the rich don't see as being good for them. Poor old Peter Brock could probably tell you a thing or two about that.
  6. My fave past genius is Galileo
  7. Galileo Figaro?
    (I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me...)
  8. Giaus Julius Caesar, the younger.
  9. magnifico!
  10. Just to preempt any outlandish claims, the Tesla turbine is an interesting and practical device (you can build a working one with some MDF, wire and old CDs) but it isn't magical and doesn't contravene the laws of thermodynamics.

And Peter Brock wasn't a pathetic looney but he did get involved with a bunch of charlatans. Whether he was aware of it or not is questionable.
  11. I think he believed it. Holden believed that it wasn't financially justified to build bombadores with IRS, and Brock called then liars, and proved it could be done. He was making them look bad. But he was also charging several hundred bucks extra for an energy polariser that ... didn't seem to be capable of actually doing anything. So that was the point they went after. Ad hominem.
  12. oh, sorry. I'll cut n paste. It's a bit long.

Part 1 of 3

13. Part 2 of 3

14. Part 3 of 3
  15. Read this on the Oatmeal this morning......... Couldn't help thinking about Steve Jobs........ Too soon?

Tablet talkin'
  16. Tesla wanted the world to have free electricity. Could you imagine how nice that would have been.