Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [Nigeria] Just when you thought Aussie riders had it hard... 24mths HARD LABOUR for no mirror, no li

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Motorcyclist jailed 24 months for riding without side mirror, licence

Tuesday, 14 August 2012

An Osogbo Senior Magistrates’ Court HAS sentenced a 19-year-old motorcyclist, Oyedele Tunde, to 24 months imprisonment with hard labour, for riding without side mirror and valid rider's licence.

Tunde was arraigned on a four-count charge of riding on the highway without side mirror, valid licence, safety helmet and riding an unregistered motorcycle.

The convict was, however, given an option of N1,500 fine on each of the counts.

The Police Prosecutor, Cpl Okedara Abimbola, told the court that the convict committed the offences on Aug. 6, at Igbonna area of Osogbo.

According to Abimbola, the offences committed are contrary to and punishable under Sections 4, 7, 34 and 25(1) of Road Traffic (amendment) Laws of Osun 2008.

The convict, who had no legal representation, pleaded guilty to the four-count charge and prayed the court for leniency.

In his judgment, Senior Magistrate, Mr Olusola Aluko, said that cautioning the suspect would not serve as deterrent to others, especially motorcycle operators, who find pleasure in disobeying traffic law.

Aluko,therefore, sentenced the convict to six months imprisonment on each of the counts ``or pay a fine of N1,500 on each count.”

He ordered that the sentences should run concurrently.

= = = = = = = = =

Fricking hell. That is ROUGH justice!
  2. Yes, they've been cracking down on motorcycles to try and curb militant attacks, eg.

3. N1,500 = $A9.03 8-[

I worked in Nigeria for 16 long, awful months. Hazard flashers indicate that you are going left and right atthe same time, ie straight ahead at a crossroads.

Windscreen wipers are for dirt roads, to prevent stones hitting the windshield.

Sitting in a Lagos traffic jam, a Police m'bike weaved through the traffic and stopped alongside a taxi ahead of us. After a brief, one sided discussion, the cop pulled the driver out of his cab and proceeded to horse-whip him. I asked our driver "what for he do that thing?", to be told...... "dirty taxi".

Lots more, but it's not a nice place :bolt:
  4. The average wage would be pretty low in Nigeria though, especially for a 19yo? $1 per day territory? Compared to Australia's $73,000 per annum average?
  5. About $100/month. Maybe we should donate the $28 for his fines ;)
  6. I dont know, they keep emailing me about the fortunes to be made if I can just mind some money for them, for a small fee of course.

So there must be plenty of money just lying around.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I find it interesting that they refer to the offender as 'the convict'.

Is this where Victoria is heading?
  8. Probably lives in a hut where Shell want to put an oil well, and they need him out of the way.
  9. Sorry, but this is not a motorcyling issue but just part of the continent-wide tribal warfare that has been going on since these countries gained their 'independence' from the old colonists. Add a mixture of Islamic incursion, and rampant corruption of the 'legal systems' and it's absolutely no surprise....