Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

nice bikes...but whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by T4, Dec 21, 2005.

1. just wanted some people's opinion on the YZF R1 and the CBR fireblade 954. I like both bikes a lot.... a LOT. But have heard that they are very different to ride. The fireblade being more forgiving and easier to ride but the R1 having better payoff if you get it right.
    what are peoples thoughts on how they match up for handling, power and rideability? and thoughts would be great

2. forgiving is a very relative term when your talking about 140 hp+ motorcycles ... nethier is if your ham fisted or inexperianced
  3. only meant compared to each other, i've never ridden anything that powerfull...yet.
    i wouldn't imagine you'd want to be making a mistake riding either one.
  4. Hmm... well my R1 experience is limited, but I have had a couple of decent blats on the older Fireblades and can give you an idea.

For starters, the riding position sucks for me (180cm, roughly) - too hunched over. Seat is pretty damn hard too. So comfort ain't a strong point.

How it rides... well, gearbox was smooth, especially compared back to back with the ZX9. Engine kinda felt like a 600.... until you hit the top third of the rev range, then it went manic. And by manic I mean it basically tried to throw you off the back, throw the front in the air and generally do all sorts of anti-social things that would be a bucketload of fun if you're into it. ;)

The 'blade seemed to handle well, but both tries seem to lack a little feel on how grippy the tyre was... perhaps just a suspension/tyre setup issue, perhaps not.

Obviously in the end, I bought the ZX9R instead. :p
  5. its a lil like compairing a tbone steak to another t bone steak............ both yumo .. u need to ride both ... as their similuar but different ...... but a lot the same ... were talking about picking needles in a haystack and ... less then 1 % of normal road riders will ever use them to their potential .. so the handleing /performance differences you speak about are not really relevant for a road bike / road riding ...it will be all down to what candy suits your eyes/ears more than any handleing quirk/power difference
  6. Can't speak for a 954, never ridden one.

I have a 2000 model R1, and have spent a fair amount of time getting the suspension set up right.

My R1 steers very quickly. Almost nervously. Not unstable, just that the smallest user inputs translate into the bike doing something different. In comparison, my old Honda VTR1000 feels like a bus. Excellent feedback from both ends of the bike. You always know what the wheels are doing on the road. Can be a little disconcerting if not used to it. The amount of feedback can be somewhat overwhelming to those used to more stable bikes. For example, hit a small pebble, and the bike will let you know about it. You'll feel the tyres moves that mm or so, whereas on other bikes I've ridden the feedback has tended to be a little numb in comparison, not numb in a bad way, but less visceral.

The R1 doesn't like bumpy roads/corners. Well, no bike really does, but the R1 with its direct feedback to the rider really lets you know about it. It's nothing bad, it's just that the bike reacts to ripples and bumps where other bikes would tend to glide over them, but such other bikes are also providing less feedback about the tyres struggling for grip. Again, it's a case of the bike really telling you what's going on, it screams about it to you almost.

Brakes are strong, at least for road use. No complaints there. Slight lack of feel through the lever when braking really hard, but I don't have braided lines on my bike, so this is somewhat to be expected, and is true of almost all bikes without braided lines.

Power is strong. Not OMFG strong (well it is if you jump onto one having never ridden an in-line 4cyl litre bike before), but easily more than enough power to get you into serious trouble if you try to whack the throttle open everywhere. It'll unhook the rear in corners if you're too ham-fisted, and it'll power wheelie it up in 1st and 2nd, and for me with my lardy weight (95kgs) it'll also do it in third with a good road bump or if heading up a hill. I've got a carbeuretted motor, but throttle response is excellent everywhere, and is never "light switch" on/off on throttle transitions through corners. Again, requires a delicate hand though - there is a lot of power there to unhook you, so the finest adjustments are necessary when altering throttle mid-corners.

Cornering wise, the bike tracks like it's on rails, but again, it's up to the rider. If you mess with the throttle, move about on the seat, heck, even if you wiggle your pinky, the bike will react to you immediately. It demands smoothness from the rider if you want it to be smooth. On the flip-side, if you want to change your line, or even maneuver around 4 different road-bound obstacles mid-corner, the bike will do it for you. The bike feels like it'll lean right off the edge of the tyres without complaint if you so choose to push it that hard. Oh, removing the foot-peg feelers is a MUST. The hinge on the stock footpegs is angled wrong, and when the footpeg feelers touch down, they don't just scrape the road, they dig in and throw the bike off line 'cos the pegs don't fold up properly. People have crashed due to this. Remove the feelers as a first course of action.

So yeah, the R1 is not forgiving on a twisty road if you give it crap inputs. It is a bit of a raw untamed brute, but that can be both a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the point of view of the rider. Treat it with respect and it's like a living extension of yourself. Problem is that it also magnifies your deficiencies too.

Oh, around town though, it's civil as, as if in total contrast to all of the above. A total pussy-cat. You wouldn't think it was the same bike that you just hustled through your favorite twisties. Strong grunty motor, perfect for getting about town and through traffic, but gets very hot though. It's been said that just on a quick ride around the block, most people would pick an R1 for its civilised manner at town speeds and comfortable position. Point it at a twisty road, and it demands respect.

Hope that helps somewhat. Probably not.
  7. [Edit] Ignore. You were talking about the Blade. :/
  8. I'll second alot of what has already been said...

1. Both bikes, compared to your current steed are stark-raving-lunatic-epilepsy-inducing-wheelie-popping MAD! (... and alot of fun! ;) )

2. There really isn't such a thing as a bad bike... just one that gets along with you and you get along with it.

3. If you want to know the last 1% of how the bikes compare, id suggest reading some of the track wizard reviews that some of the bike mags have done in recent times. From their words... it appears the R1 is a more finely tuned beast than the Fireblade.
  9. Tenoq has 'issues' with excessively sporty bikes for both chiropractic and phobic reasons. :p The ZX9R as his current steed was a tradeoff between aggressive riding position and performance. The GeePee-Hex has permanently warped his mind as to what 'hunched over' really means. ;)
  10. yes koma true .. and the review of the r1 ...... could have been a fireblade review too
  11. The R1 not liking the bumpy sections of road that you talk about is characteristic of the early R1's. The were renowned for bouncy around like a randy school girl when things came to the bump and grind. A quote from the latest AMCN is a good one:
  12. thanks for that, gives me a bit of an idea. I went for a ride with a bloke on an R6, well i kinda doodled along while he rang rings around me.

I was supprised to hear the R1 was comfortable to get around town on. Do any of you use these sports bikes as daily comuters? whats that like?
  13. Before you decied on the r1 or fireblade give the zx9 a try its the best of both worlds
  14. i commute regularly with the R1- in my opionion its ok but not so forgiving on the body (eg wrists) in city stop--start traffic. for small distance commuting a scooter would be more reasonable and sensible-- but the R1 is sooooooooooooooo addictive- any ride on it, whether small or long distance is an adventure and an uttermost pleasure.
  15. thats sounds good enough for me...
    commute on a scooter? sorry not familiar with that term.
  16. well the R1 is more pwerful and i think the R1 looks better, performs better and sounds better and is much easier to handle.
  17. firstly what year bikes are you talking about?
    if your on about current models isnt the '06 R1 going for $27k which makes the CBR better value, but then another point what sought of riding you prefer as they are both very different bike.
  18. My wife rides our CBR954 every day as a commuter and loves it.
  19. As a rule of thumb you'll find the yamaha is a little bigger which may be a factor.

You're still on a 250 so this is really just hot air. Get off your restrictions and then test ride as many bikes as you can, that's the only way you'll find the bike that's right for you. I went from a CBRR 250 to an '05 R6, in hind sight I could have jumped to an R1, but the R6 is very forgiving and I think that the bikes you're looking at won't be.

Rider is the most important factor in the whole process, so the k's you've travelled, and your confidence on the bike is something you can only judge for yourself. When it's time to step up keep in mind that a 600 sports bike will allow you to lose your license in 1st gear, but will also let you be a little less refined with your right hand and not kick you for it.
  20. i had in mind early 2000-01 bikes.

at 6'4" i think a bigger bike is better for me.

damn those restictions... thinking of getting a suzuki bandit for the rest of my restricted time. help me get more used to the sports bike style. and after riding my mates one it was supprisingly comfortable.

definately will have to test ride the bikes to find out what suits me better. but very thankful i could get you thoughts on the matter.