Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Next time, let's just leave them there, eh?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Ugh. Its one thing to cheap out on the volunteers who spent the better part of two weeks looking for your arse. Cheaping out after (allegedly) promising them $100,000 is a whole 'nother thing.
  2. Hey guys. I'm going camping for a we... um... I mean day.

Promise you'll come look for me if I'm not back in 24hours.

PS. My bank details are as follows... :p
  3. Lots of people would do the same
  4. How is this any different to the thousands of lotto winners who, before winning, promise that a massive percentage of their winnings will go to charity and then after winning, what happens?

5. The lotto winners do not owe their lives to a volunteer service.
  6. What. A. Twat.

I still can't believe that he was paid to tell his story. I mean, how exciting......"I was fine........then I was lost.......then it got dark.......then I got hungry........thought I would starve........so I ate some grubs and shit.....then I was found."

Boo fcukin hoo. Tightarse.
  7. Volunteer service is correct. They don't get paid because the love what they do. These people just love saving folks.
  8. Edit: Ohhh, sarcasim. no?
    They may volunteer thier time, but food, fuel and helicopters cost.

:roll: Think. Harder.
  9. As per fifi's post, why would you pay 200k for the story in the first place.

He'd have to lie to make it interesting wouldn't he
  10. Presumably because a *hitload of people saw the promos, watched it on 60 Minutes and then went out and bought Maccas because they saw an ad during 60 Minutes.

Channel 9 is happy, Maccas is happy, the Big Mac eaters are happy...

11. How is this different to a state member of Parliament, minister and servant of the Crown who left a hut in the high country in inclement weather, fell, climbed to a ledge, told some other walkers he was fine, realised he was lost and then was rescued by a top secret AFP plane that was deployed to assist in his recovery and who, as far as I know, has made no donation at all to the SES, AFP, Vic Pol or the Rural Ambulance Service who looked after him when he was found. Or do you have to be a tourist to deserve scorn?
  12. For me the issue is the amount of money these people get paid. He got lost! Why should he get a $200K pay check?
  13. Because some stupid media company independently decided to pay him?
  14. did he get a 200k cheque for his story but?
  15. What an arsehole. They should put him back.
  16. That's not the point though, is it? If you're complaining because someone was stupid enough to think his lame story was $200k, then that just sounds like sour grapes. If you're complaining because he cost taxpayers good money to save him, then you should be equal in your criticism. But then be careful if you should ever be stupid enough to need rescuing, in case you have to pay back your rescue money and that no media company is dumb enough to think your lame story was worth paying for.

Me, I pay me taxes and expect to be rescued. It's called society and the price for living in it is the occasional idiot who takes more than they've put in. But there you go.
  17. There's a bit of a difference. The pommie bloke wont pay any taxes in Aus. Having said that, if i needed to be rescued in England, would be a bit pissed if they checked my credit rating first.
  18. Of course, I know that. It is just ridiculous to me, that is all I meant.
  19. Unlike politicians, tourists get the benefit of the doubt to start with...