Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Next step from 250cc??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Beefcake, Jul 10, 2006.

1. As a newbie rider, I was just wondering what would be a good size motorbike to step up to from a 250cc?

I have heard a lot of different things like: "A 600 is all you need, it does all you want it to do" and "Go as big as you can because you will get sick of a smaller bike". Both of these have there good and bad points, but to me it is very confusing. Ideally I'd love to step up to a 1000cc because I'd have it a long time but the weight is an issue when you are only used to handling a 140kg bike, and then something smaller will not be as 'cruisy' on a longer run but will have it's advantages in the hills.

Can a person really go straight on to a big bike confortably after being on a 250 for 18 months? Or is it wiser to "work your way up" i.e get a 600 or something similar and then work your way up?

Basically I am super keen on an SV1000S :grin: and don't really like the idea of getting an SV650S and then trading it in for its big brother when I "outgrow" it.

What are your thoughts on the whole issue?
  2. An SV1000S would be fine. All you need to do is respect the throttle. A fair few people do the big transition, i went from the zzr250 straight on to the 12. I agree with buy what you want or you will just end up selling before to long.
  3. you have to really want the bike your going to buy or you wont feel as compelled to ride it. if you think you would be comfortable stepping up to a 1000cc by all means do it, just as blue12 said, you just have to respect it. im going from a 250 to 600. ive rode a 2003 R6 before for a long ride and was very comfortable on it, took a few minutes to get used to from my TZR250. and tomorrow im riding down to geelong to hopfully put a deposit on a new one untill i can sort out my finances.
  4. Ive just made the switch from ZZR-250 to SV1000 and its been a piece of cake.. In fact I feel much more comfortable on the SV than I did on the ZZR.. The better suspension, brakes and effortless power make it a pleasure to ride..

The SV is very linear in its power delivery so there arnt any surprises.. The SV is an easy bike to ride if you are easy on the throttle.. If you jump on the SV and twist the trottle like you do and a 250 you will get yourself into heaps of trouble..

At the end of the day the SV1k has similar Hp (approx 118 at ear) to a 600 sports bike but it has superbike torque..
  5. I know there's always the resale question, but seriously, if you buy well at any size, what's wrong with upgrading later on? Admittedly, any bike that has a good resale for you means its had a good resale for someone else but still ;) I'm sure once you ride the one you're really keen on, your decision will be made for you one way or another :)
  6. It depends on what sort of riding you want to do. More than one of the older and wiser riders I have met have gone back to the 600 size bikes due to power to weight and cost.
    I personally went to a 1000 cc bike because I wanted a big sports tourer. I commute on my bike and will shortly be living in the country. I wanted range, comfort, torque and carrying capacity, and also some ability in corners. If I was staying in suburbia, I'd have probably kept my Z650, for it's nimbleness, size and ease of handling in parking etc.
    The transition to a big bike is easy, I personally found the hardest thing was the sheer size difference of the bigger bike( and I came from a 210 kg bike to a 260 kg bike), throttle is no big deal in my opinion (but I am old enough to respect big engines).

Regards, Andrew.
  7. i think it depends how comfrotable you are with your
    riding skills
    be wise/sensible enough to not push it too hard with a 1000

i want too upgrade already from my 600 iv only had for a few months
  8. Whatever bike you buy, you have to go through the stage of learning to ride THAT particular bike - learning how it handles and travels in different situations.
    Basically...over and above your basic riding skills, you are simply getting to know your bike, and getting used to it.
    With that in mind...I think the "step-up" process can be a waste of money. HOWEVER...the bigger the step you take, the longer it takes to adjust and learn to ride the new bike. If you are patient...are prepared to invest some time in getting to know your new bike, and can control the urge to to twist the wrist in the initial stages, and build it up slowly...you will get used to the bigger bike.
    Go the SV if you want one...they develope a smooth - torguey, power that is easier to handle when it's new to you, and they have alot of grunt for later once you and your new SV are friends. :)

Just be careful and sensible
  9. This is something I've been thinking about as well. I sit the MOST in a few weeks and then straight onto an unrestricted license. I want to step up into a bigger cruiser, which is going to be another 60kg and another 400-600cc. I've only been riding 4 months - I'd definitely like some more grunt, but I'm still building my confidence and skills. When's the right time to change? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew ...
  10. I went pretty much straight from my LAMS bike to the GTR, as the astronauts say, it feels good.
    Lovin' LAMS and the 30+ lack of restrictions!

Regards, Andrew.
  11. Get whatever makes you comfortable, if you think that another 6 months down the track you are going to want the 1000, then get it now or you'll lose money, but can you control your instincts to respect it?

All I know is when I get off restrictions, I will be getting the ZX6R or the ZX7R, I don't think I am going to want something bigger than that. I will be more than content on something of that size. :)

It all comes down to personal choice really. Are you riding bikes because of fuel economy (if that is the case, the 1000 would probably be no better than buying a small 4 cyl car :p) if you are buying the bike for sheer pleasure of riding then, why not go the whole hog?
  12. it depends what kind of riding you want to do, and also your physique. i'm 55kg, about 165cm in height... so a fairly small guy. the riding i wanted to do was: daily commuting, and weekend wheelies.

i went to a hornet 900 - mainly because of the power, it was a good deal and it is fuel injected. i found it to be manageable. heavy when i have to move it around to park, but otherwise pretty sweet. the power was a good thing. i learnt a lot of the stunting basics on it.

then i got an old cbr600 and it was so much easier to do everything. i improved leaps and bounds. but the carbies really suck. but i really do think nobody needs anything more than a modern 600. they are basically jack of all trades, and if you're bored of riding one, you're not riding it hard enough.

so i'm selling my hornet soon and looking for an f4i or 600rr. but in terms of transition, you could jump onto a 'busa and be fine as long as you respect the bike.
  13. Awesome bike :wink:
  14. I have 2 friends who got into bike 18 months ahead of me.
    They both went from 250 sports (a CBR, and aZZR) to their new bikes, one got a new ZX6R and the other went for a VTR1000SP2.

Their advice to me:
    "When you can ride the hell out of that 250, when nothing surprises you, when the various operations of a bike are natural responses and you don't have to think about it, and you want more power coming out of corners - then get a bigger bike."

My friend on the ZX6r also says unless you're doing track days, you probably won't use the abilities of a 1000 more than you would a 600 anyway [unless you weigh a LOT].

Then again, my friend on the VTR says he wouldn't trade the sound of his bike for anything in the world :)

I think the best advice is to buy when you are confident [no-one wants to spend $15,000 and drop the thing because they don't know what they're doing] - then get what you want.

A decent chunk of motorcycling is the freedom, the fun, and the speed. So get the bike you know you'll love and just be careful like always.