Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Next Few Steps.....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Gypsy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I have taken my next few steps on my journey. This weekend I went around and looked at a couple of bikes. I know everybody tells me not to buy the first bike you look at but this bike just jumped out at me and said take me.

My new trusted steed is a 1998 Yamaha XVS650A Drag Star Classic. She is 70k K's old and looks like she has been well looked after til now. I paid 6.3k for her, which I hope is a reasonable price for her age and condition. Even though she was a bit out of my budget, the finance department (my missus) gave her authority to spend the bit extra. I should hopefully have this bike for a while before I even consider upgrading.

I have tried to attach a picture of her below but I don't know if it will work. If it doesn't, I'm open to suggestions on how to get the image up.

I haven't taken delivery of the bike yet but I should hopefully be going around to pick her up tomorrow evening and am seriously considering riding her home myself. I'll just take it easy and hopefully we'll get used to each other before too long. I'll post my 'First Ride' tale tomorrow evening...hopefully.....

My Yamaha XVS650A

Cheers All.....
  2. Congrats it looks mint, would never guess its done 70 thou, hope you keep it that way, stock up on that old mate Mr Sheen.
  3. Its crazy the LAM's bikes ect ,looks very very big
    and in very good condtion, good stuff looks great.

If your going to ride it home ,get mate in a car to follow you to buffer you from the other cars and if you miss a gear or stall at the lights ,your not worrying about the people behind you running up your ass or getting the shits.

See you next coffee night.
  4. very nice my friend.
  5. Man, that's a 650? Looks big. Congrats on the buy. Doesn't matter what anyone else says, it's your bike, you'll love it.
  6. @DuHAST
    I have no intention of keeping her that way. I'll hopefully be putting many more k's on the clock. Hopefully I'll still keep her looking fine, but she will get ridden.....the bike, that is, not the missus....

Yeah, I've been looking for a decent LAMS bike. Had discounted the 250's once I heard about the 650's and that's because of the relative sizes. I will be getting the missus to follow me on the way home. Hopefully, she doesn't remember the fights we've had and try and run me over. I have to admit, I'm nervous but excited at teh same time. Will post a report if I survive....

@everyone else,
    Thanks for the kind words of congratulations, the advice along the way, the patience and tolerance with my silly questions, etc. Unfortunately, the silly questions won't necessarily stop, just hopefully become less silly. Looking forward to being a more constructive member of the forum, and meeting the Sydney Siders come the next coffee night in Homebush....

Cheers All.....