Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Next bike now I'm off restrictions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Wigan Warrior, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I'm off restrictions and am looking for suggestions for my next bike. I'm looking for a 650cc plus sports-tourer motorcycle and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I currently have a GS500F that has served me well and has a comfortable riding position for me. I want something with a little more poke (not too much, I'm still new to this game!) that has a similar riding position, passenger space and able to fit a rack and bag. I often pick up my daughter from school, so passenger space/position is important.

I commute daily (30km each way) and rarely do anything over 100km rides. I'd prefer a lightly faired bike and with a screen.

The budget is up to $10,000 new or low km ex-demo.

Oh yeah, I'm a 'big boned' guy so would like something that can cope with the load (150kg ish with myself, daughter and luggage).

The new 2012 kawasaki ninja 650 abs and the yamaha f26r/fz8s look nice, but not had the chance to ride.

Thanks....

2. Be wary with recent FZ6ers, they are essentially rebadged XJ600s I found out recently. Pre 2007 are the genuine articles though IIRC, no doubt a Nerdrider will correct me on this if I'm wrong. Yamaha fazed (pun intended) out the FZ6 in favour of the bigger FZ8s and switched up LAMS compliant XJs as the "new" FZ6. I've just bought a second hand FZ8N (the naked) and given your requirements I'd definitely go for the FZ8 rather than a 600. I actually saw a FZ8 (light fairing) with very low kilometres and immaculate condition at the same place for less than 10K, about 9.5k I think, PM if you want the details.

There will be other brands and choices of course, I really only know about Yammys though.

3. A quick search on Bikepoint -http://www.bikepoint.com.au/all-bikes/results.aspx?Ns=p_IsPoa_Int32%7C0%7C%7Cp_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_HasPhotos_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_String%7C0%7C%7Cp_Model_String%7C0%7C%7Cp_YearMade_Int32%7C1%7C%7Cp_PriceSort_Decimal%7C1%7C%7Cp_PhotoCount_Int32%7C1&N=1432+604+1430+1429+1626+1428+4294967268+4294966681&TabID=2207444&Nne=15 You can get all sorts of luggage options. I had the LAMS version and when I moved up to the 1250, all the gear transferred across, with exception to Yoshy. The Ninja 650s are a nice bit of kit, same with the Yammys. A VFR could also meet your criteria

4. I have the new Ninja 650L and its a great bike. I am also 'big boned' (ie 130kg 188cm tall) and it handles things fine. The unrestricted would be good as it nearly doubles the power and even 35kW gets me to the speed limit no issue.

Slight problem just at this second would be that there are no accessories just yet (like racks) for this specific model but so far no complaints. Did 122km with no numb bum as the seat is nicely padded but need to crank up the preload as the concrete lumpy bumpies gave my haemorrhoids a shake!

Bike is $9999.00 + ORC so reasonable price as well.

Cheers Spocky

5. #5 DJ666, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I also have the '12 650L (Peter Stevens $9990 inc on roads) cant really relate for I am 63kg/179cm but I have been looking at the OGIO tail, saddle and tank bags due to no official accessories being available yet.

6. #6 DJ666, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Also I personally find the 650L quite economic usually getting 200-300kms per $16-20 tank of bp ultimate 98 premium

7. why are you even considering 6fiddys
    sports touring >150 kilo with luggage and kidlet. > you need 12fiddy.

8. Yeh I gotta agree with this, the only "sports-tourers" around that capacity are just called that due to their upright seating position & fairings, they are not really sports tourers as they should be...

At a bare minimum you should probably be starting at the Honda VFR800

9. Vfr800 sounds spot on to me. Haven't been on one but people I know that have say they are an excellent bike. I have a mate about to sell a very low km one for $9k, so there should be plenty in your price range, not quite new but very close to it.

10. Another vote for the VFR800. Awesome machine purpose built for what you want to do with it.

No brainer if you ask me.

11. Looking for a ninja 650. Check out my bike for sale in the bikes for sale section. Its a lams model but have taken the restrictor off :). I'm upgrading to a 1000cc which is why she's up for sale. Awesome bike. Recently did a Tassie tour. Performed perfectly. Cheers

12. There are some awesome deals on the late (and great) weestrom now that it's been replaced.

I often have luggage and a pillion and she never fails me.

And it's not ugly! It's gots character :)

13. Plenty of good second hand Sprint ST's in that price range.

I had one for a few years and they are a good compromise bike. Hard panniers hold a fair bit of gear, and pillion accommodation is very reasonable. The tourquey 1050 tripple motor is an absolute gem.

It's no sports bike, but certainly won't discrace itself in the twisties. I rode mine from Townsville to Brisbane in 2 days and jumped off as fresh as a daisy.