Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News: UK gets tough on the SMIDSY excuse

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by ForumBot, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Smidsy - "Sorry mate, I didn't see you." If you've been in an accident, or potential, with any vehicle, you've probably heard it.

... more

This is an automated posting of a new news item added to Netrider News.

2. My head hurts from too much commonsense...

Surely they could have just banned bikes, or made something illegal, increased the fine, put more speed cameras in, sent people to jail... that's the Australian way.

But education? Sounds a bit fancy to me. :)

3. Saw a car parked the other day with a parking permit from somewhere - noticed that on the other side facing into the car was the message "look out for motorcycles" or something similar. Don't think it would be that effective but nice of them to try I guess.

4. Unlikely to do much IMO.

Bikes are small and they change speed much more quickly than any other vehicle. Our single headlight makes it harder for people to determine how far away we are. Our lack of reflective surfaces makes it difficult to tell what speed we're doing.

SMIDSY is here to stay, do what you can to manage it.

5. As i'm a newbie, I don't know if this is a common thing, but I see a lot of riders out there will always have their headlight on. Day or night.
    I think that's an awesome way to ride. I notice them straight away.

I think this idea may have been covered before, but making drivers more aware of you doesn't necessarliy have to be restricted 'seeing'.

I recall reading not too long ago about a campaign in Europe/UK that pushed the idea of motorbikes having louder exhausts made drivers more aware of them. I think they had a slogan like "loud pipes save lives" or something (a quick Google search brings up a few interesting articles).
    I really like this idea. It may annoy the hell out of other people in traffic, but at least they know you're there and can't have the excuse that they didn't see you.
    I guess the main problem is that too many people would winge that they're too loud, and not all riders want loud pipes. I imagine it would probably give you a headache after a while.

I think it would be a great idea if the government supported this idea in the attempt to increase rider safety. It'll never happen, but I reckon it's a good idea :grin:

6. ADR requirement of bikes - you have to go back a fair few years to find a bike with a headlight that's not hard-wired.

7. That needs to be passed off to the urban Myth pile, speak to some people that drive prefessionaly these days and they will tell you, that in the newer vehicles, windows up aircon and radio/cd on ,they don't hear you until your in front of them. The quality of sound dampening in the newer cars easily overcomes "Loud Pipes", Its more the frequency of the sound that is likely to have any effect these days.

8. ADR states that headlights don't have to be hard wired, this was changed way back.
    the headlights are hardwired due to market pressure from othere regions, so suppliers conform mainly to the greater market. Australian market is too small for them to have major differences from the US and EU requirements. So if you want to put a switch on ya bike to turn off your headlights go to it , it's not illegal in Aus

9. I don't know - if it reminds the driver to look out it will have done its job... :LOL:

Putting it on the inside of all taxis so the driver could be reminded when they look in their mirror would be a good start!

10. Maybe, as long as you put it in 50 different languages.

I'm always shocked by how bad taxi drivers can be on the road - I mean, they're out there all day! Some seem to have shocking car control, jamming the gas and brakes on like clumsy toddlers. Others change lanes in a violent, unplanned stream of consciousness. I feel safer on my bike where I know can dodge the drongos than sitting in some taxis...

11. Even 50 languages wouldn't be enough in Sydney, besides wherever the drivers come from, most of them appear to be illiterate anyway. Don't get me started on Taxi drivers.

As far as exhaust noise is concerned, unless all our bikes sounded like Mark's SR-500, I doubt it would do any good anyway :LOL:

13. And if they did it still wouldn't make any difference because everybody would be deaf in a week... :LOL: :LOL:

14. I got T-boned by a taxi last year in Sydney, the guy couldn't even speak english, how the f@#k did he get his taxi license??

And in case you were wondering, yes it was a SMIDSY, except in body language cause all he could speak was Chinese.

I've been told by other taxi drivers that it's not uncommon for several people to drive under the one license - hence him not speaking "engrish"

The worst thing about the whole saga was that the owner of the taxi denied that the accident ever occurred when I tried to claim on his insurance.

Taxi's - wankers!!! I honk at them all the time now, make sure they've seen me.

15. I know I've had the discussion about being hard to see with committed car drivers. "But you can be hard to see, being smaller than cars" they say, trying to be slightly superior with their enlightened thoughts.
    "yeah, we're about as big as a mother pushing her pram, have trouble spotting them too??"
    Usually shuts them up.
    Shouldn't be SMIDSY, should be SMIDL. Sorry Mate, I Didn't Look

Stuart

16. Gotta watch out for those pram pushing mothers lane splitting traffic :LOL: .

17. Exactly right mate. the only reason they dont see you is if they havent looked property. The "blind spot" is only in the mirrors, they are meant to do a head check as well to eliminate it.

18. Blind spots also exist behind A, B & C pillars. Why they haven't invented a durable see-through material for these I'm not sure. :p