Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News Story on Green Slip Extra Premium For Accidents

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by grange, Mar 9, 2008.

  1. How much is it? Here in Victoria we've had this sort of cover since, well, forever, I s'pose. At least since 1986 when the Transport Accident Commission was established by the government.

    My TAC premium for an 1100cc bike garaged in a rural area costs me $340 a year, plus GST plus insurance duty. (one of which is calculated on the other - a tax on a tax).
  2. For the bike , it is $141 per year on top of green slip price , my truck is an extra $165
  3. If you're referring to bikes having to pay more for CTP premiums than other road users, no, it still doesn't make sense. CTP is for injuries to others, and bikes basically never cause injuries to others in accidents where the bikes is at fault (except to peds of course).
  4. More referring to the extra fee, being MCIS Levies ( Medical Care and Injury Services Levies), on top of the actual green slip cost.
  5. Ok. but how much in total do you pay for this insurance cover? ie. your "green slip" and this total cover?
  6. Green slip total price for bike ranges between $438 to $697. For truck , its costing me $438 every 3 months.
  7. OK, explanation of NSW system for those who are not....

    To register a motorcycle (or car) in NSW requires three documents and payments.

    1. A PINK slip; this is a certificate of roadworthiness. If you've got brains, you get this at a CAR mechanic's shop; he will just check lights, indicators and tyres.

    Cost is $19 and if the shop is equipped for it, he can lodge your certificate and the fact that you have paid, direct to the RTA, on-line. 20 minutes later, if you have everything else done, you can register the vehicle on-line too.

    2. A GREEN Slip; this is your third party insurance. It covers injury to a third person, (not you, or your bike) or property damage you cause, in the event of an accident. Mine just cost $301.

    3. Your RTA Registration renewal slip, with label attached. This is mailed out to you, but you cannot fit it to the vehicle unless you have had your inspection and paid your Green Slip.

    Once you have the inspection done and validated to the RTA, and have paid your Green Slip on-line, and also had that validated at the RTA, you can then go on-line on the RTA site and pay your registration and stamp duties (mine is $140).

    You can then fit your rego label to the left side of your bike, and ride on into the distance, till the same time next year...
  8. Hornet, CTP doesn't cover property.
  9. :oops: Used to :oops:

    I sit corrected......
  10. Wow. Talk about a convoluted process...

    I get my renewal in the mail. I log onto Netbank. I pay the renewal via Bpay. I go out side and fit the new sticker.

    That's it til next year.
  11. And as a result, if you choose to do so, you drive around or ride a vehicle which could be completely un-roadworthy and neither you nor your fellow motorists would know. I remember when I lived in the Yarra Valley in the 80s seeing cars which had no metal between the windscreen and the trailing edge of the bonnet because of rust, being registered every year because of that system.

    I was ONCE pulled up by a Victorian Policeman for a random roadworthiness check. He looked at my tyres and checked my lights. That's roadworthy??? What about steering and suspension bushes; what about BRAKES? etc etc..

    I asked him, as a recent emigrant from Canberra, how many cars he inspected in this way, in his opinion, were unroadworthy. He replied, "Over 80%!!".
  12. Forget Victoria, try Tasmania... or no, try King Island. It's hilarious the shit they drive around in. Fred Flintstone stuff, where you can stick your feet through the holes in the floor and doors kept shut with dunny door locks.

    The extra premium in the OP makes sense. It may cause some hostility between the hooligan riders and the ultra-conservative riders though.
  13. This concept of annual roadworthies is a furphy. The motoring industry body here in Victoria, VACC wishes to introduce compulsory RWCs. Shouldn't be a surprise as it would inject some $40 million into the industry's coffers.

    Problem is that the stats indicate that mechanical failure is an insignificant factor in crashes. Also, compare NSW stats to Victoria. NSW's per capita crash figures are much higher. So, either NSW drivers are not as good as Victorian ones or that there's some other reason - crap roads, or whatever. But the annual RWC doesn't seem to be helping.

    And Hornet, one sole policeman's anecdotal "evidence" does not a conclusion make...
  14. Annual RWC's means less oil on the road.
  15. *sigh* ..

    another reason to blame the imbeciles that keep voting NSW labor back in.

    after all, its makes sense to slug a bike owner for a levy in the belife that bikes cause massive damage to randoms.
  16. Well based off the article in the OP, the green slips fund the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme which is for riders who've crashed and presumably aren't covered by some other insurance.

    Having said that, their numbers don't seem to work out that great. They had 122,700 registered bikes/scooters in NSW in 2006. There's only 46 people total on the scheme. I doubt those 46 would account for the costs of motorcycle green slips because even if the green slip averaged only $200 per bike it's still $24.5M for bikes for 2006. That scheme is for Care and Support which probably isn't talking about medical operations.

    2326 were injured in motorbike accidents in 2006. I'm wondering if any of their medical costs are covered by motorcycle green slips.
  17. You're very young aren't you???

    NSW has had compulsory Green Slip/Third Party insurance for decades, through all sorts of governments......

    So, Martin, what you're saying is that there is no merit in roadworthy inspections because it hasn't been proven to be a big factor in accidents? So the next time some dozy idiot with lousy or non-existent brakes ploughs you under at a red light, the condition of his vehicle will not be a factor? I just don't see how you can reduce the whole argument to statistics....
  18. So he was just making a turn and a cliff appeared underneath him? I don't begrudge the system, but they kinda glossed over the facts of his accident there.
  19. Well if accidents aren't less per capita, it would appear that there's no correlation between roadworthy checks and accident numbers. So it's more caused by the dozy idiot than his lousy brakes. Brakes in Victoria should be lousier than NSW!

    Because NSW accidents per capita is actually more(!), the major factor is probably not roadworthiness of the vehicles. Other factors where Victoria and NSW differ create more accidents per capita than doing annual roadworthies.

    I think it makes sense since it's not just old bombs that are in accidents.

    You COULD argue possibly that the amount of damage in accidents is less when cars are more roadworthy. i.e. The more-tested brakes reduce the cost of the damage. It would be interesting to see the average cost per accident in NSW compared to Victoria.