Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News: Q1 2006 Australian Motorcycle Sales

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by ForumBot, May 10, 2006.

1. Honda once again leads the charge in a 28% increase in on-road motorcycle sales.

... more

This is an automated posting of a new news item added to Netrider News by Netrider.

2. Harley sells more bikes than any of the Japanese except Honda?!? That just blows my mind... I always think of Harleys as a fringe player but they appear to be more mainstream than Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha. How is that possible? Am I reading it wrong?

3. You read right. Harleys sell like crazy. If you amalgamated all the slightly different versions of the Softail, they'd outsell everything except the posties from memory.

Most of them are rich, busy peoples' garage ornaments though, which is why you don't see more on the road.

Make no mistake, Harley buyers know about all the pitfalls of their machines - performance, reliability etc. - but they don't give a rat's arse, it's all they'd ever ride, whether that's where they've come after years of riding, or whether they're a stockbroker looking for a sunny Sunday toy. It's an image thing.

4. I saw this list on another forum and Moto Guzzi were also up bit over 45% from memory.
    Must be the new Breva and Griso models selling well still small sale volume though compared to mainstream brands.
    One interesting thing though across the board motorcycle sales are up and that’s a good sign that motorcycling although small is healthy, let’s see how sales go through winter.
    You will see less Harleys on the road then. :LOL:

5. I would definately not call the performance and reliability of my bike a pitfall!!!! Sure, early model harleys may be unreliable, but things have changed alot in the last 10 years. Have you ever thought that maybe because they are so reliable and perform well these days that thats why so many people buy them???? Of course not.....because you have the same old biased opinion as most sports bike owners and cant see any other way....

6. good to see triumph heading upwards, Aust's most popular euro bike now.
    with the 675 on the way things are looking good for the dudes at hinckley

7. To the best of my understanding, apart from the Porsche-designed V-Rod engine, not very much has changed at all in Milwaukee in the last 10 years. Certainly not compared to the pace of progress at the Japanese and European factories. Nobody bought the V-Rod anyway, it was too new and un-Harley.

Every review I read canes the ancient brakes, and no changes have been made there. The god-awful stock suspension has made many aftermarket parts suppliers rich, and that's hardly changed in the last 20 years either.

The cruiser body shape is rubbish for going around corners, metal drags everywhere, and the engines need vast and hideously expensive modifications before they get close to breathing on the performance of a stock japanese sportsbike.

What motivation is there for H-D to improve? They sell by the shitload on pure image and branding. Their attempt to build a more modern cruiser tanked; people want the old-skool image, anything newer doesn't feel Harley.

I guess I don't know about reliability apart from what I've heard - a Harley is a bike that requires a lot of TLC in the garage.

I used to ride a cruiser, and I reckon I'll ride them again down the track, because they make me feel very cool and tough and untouchable and the little kids love them. Not to mention that the whole relaxed cruiser thing is a very different part of the motorcycling experience and I'm in for pretty much anything. But if you're buying Harley for performance - even Buell - you're very much missing the point.

8. Agreed, although I've haven't riden the new 675 from the reviews I've seen Triumphs 87% increase in sales is well deserved!

No surprises elsewhere either, the scooter companies are on fire and although I can't help but laugh at some of the crazy scooter riders I see in the city, it's great to see that maket taking off.

Ducatis clever marketing and consistent image is paying dividends and Hyosungs sexy new 250 is helping them along.

9. Hyosung from 80 bikes to 292 a 265% increase! :shock:

can we say now "Fastest growing motorcycle brand in Australia?" :p

Well that's if you don't count Pagsta a 540% increase, but these are not bikes they are pushies with motors :p

10. The encouraging thing is that Triumph have made their sales the hard way - by releasing several absolutely iconic and pretty unique models: the Rocket 3, Speed triple, Sprint ST and Daytona 675.

Each have received rave reviews for performance and build quality, as well as almost universal drooling over looks - and at prices that are very competitive.

What a pity they're not set up to meet the demand they've created. That's a real let down to rabid, almost desperate would-be customers and is no doubt holding those tasty figures back.

I'm thinking about poor buggers like Undii who have had their bikes on order for months and months. It's shithouse. I'd have gone and bought something else by now.

11. Yeah Triumph seems to be doing pretty well - if the boom in sales continues (very likely when 675s finally become readily available) then they might end up outselling Kawasaki.

12. True, but i guess we have to remember that at Hinckley, bikes are still hand assembled. My mate did the tour of the factory recently and was amazed at the care and level of 'human' detail each bike is given.

When i order my scrambler i'm sure i'll have to wait, but it's worth it in the end.

13. I note that Kawasaki are down 13% .

So what's happened to the kawka's, have they moved up to Harley's :p :p :LOL:

14. Very true, I remember watching an episode of American Choppers on Pay where they did a tour of the Triumph plant in the UK. Was amazed at the fact that they only have the one production line, and the bikes aren't produced in batches - so they'll build a Daytona followed perhaps by a Bonneville, then say a Speed Triple.

15. hahaha comments on Harley's by sports bike riders - that’s like getting some vagrant unwashed wino off a park bench and making him a judge in a wine tasting comp.
    CustomKris your head is going to start bleeding if you keep banging it against the wall, i don’t defend my choice of ride, i know it is superior & wouldn’t change it even at gunpoint, so relax and enjoy what these guys don’t know or have, they will soon all be riding Chinese & Korean bikes and telling us how much better they are than Harley’s.

16. I think the trouble with kwakas is they're sort of not known for much.

The perceptions are that:
    - Hondas are more reliable and easier to ride for the average rider
    - Suzukis are faster and more racy for the real speed goons
    - Yamahas are better looking

Kawasaki don't really have any class leaders apart from the 636, and their racing results have blown dog for years.

They make a lot of fine machines, but they're suffering from an image problem.

17. Hey watch it mate :twisted:

nah love Harleys always have but not suited to my licence restrictions at the moment or to daily commuting.

Maybe when I am old enough to join Ulysses and I can cruise around trying to look tougher than I was at 18 :p

18. I owned a fat boy for 4 months no worries with reliabilty or anything like that but sorry to all you current harley riders they are just to f%$#@&* slow :wink: for me

They will always sell cause sorry chris and duhast but about 70% of new harley's are being brought by yuppies this is why they have good sales figures, and its all about the look at me factor with those sort of people :)

19. Harley riders tend to ride with Harley riders, if you ride with sports or touring bike riders then the chances are you aren't riding with Harley riders.

That means most people outside of that 'Harley culture' simply don't come across them much.

That isn't to say that they aren't ridden lots (despite what some people may think), but it does mean that people tend not to commute on them.

I see large groups (50, 100 occasionally more) of Harley's touring around the Daylesford, Maldon, Castlemaine area which I live in (it's a nice day ride from the city and attracts groups of bikes).

In fact I see many more Harleys on the road up this way than I see Japanese sports bikes, Japanese cruisers and Japanese tourers put together.

The next most common type of bike up here would be off road bikes (which are common).

City demographics are such that you mostly see commuters and sports bikes and that tends to be what you think is selling.

20. It's certainly not impossible - I dunno about the Chinese but the Koreans are starting to develop their products pretty rapidly mate.

The same blinkered, racist point of view has kept Harley alive in its American homeland as Japanese bikes galloped past on every criteria except "harleyness." Patriotism over performance, branding over specification.

If the Korean and Chinese companies keep improving, and Harley stays still then yeah, I'll rank 'em as I see 'em. And why would Harley bother? It's not like the target market cares, they're going to take all the stock parts off and replace them before the thing hits the road anyway. Is that because it's fashionable to customise your harley, or because it's necessary?

Anyway, I'm flexible. Harley start building some great bikes, or even bikes that show a slight inclination towards progress, I'll change my mind. Of course, if the v-rod's any indication, the average Harley buyer will refuse to buy them.