Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News: New method to lock/chain your bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by ForumBot, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Here's a new invention for chaining up your bike in a campground, paddock, or anywhere else where there is nothing but ground.

... more

This is an automated posting of a new news item added to Netrider News by Netrider.
  2. A spade or a maddock would make short work of it. You could even use a decent stick to dig it out in a few minutes.

3. I just laughed when I saw how it worked. :WStupid:

I was thinking more of just wrenching the chain back and forth to make the hole in the earth bigger. :LOL:
  4. OK, so you've pulled it out - then what? You can't ride it, or push it far. So your only options once you get it out is to get an angle grinder or hacksaw to the chain, or to lift it up onto a ute or trailer.
    Like anything, it's just a deterrent because we all know that if someone really wants it they'll get it and there's nothing you can do about it. But as a deterrant, it works slightly better than a disklock because it will take the thief a little longer to gte it out of teh ground ... and that's what you really want - telling the opportunist to move on to teh next (easier) bike to grab.
  5. But this really isn't a deterent.....I'd liken it to one of the 'please don't spit' signs that have fantastic gollies all over it.
  6. A deterant? :LOL:

A half starved Hyena attatched to the other end of the chain is a deterant.

Let's assume that the thieves are going to lift the bike up and put it into the back of a ute.
    Pulling the glorified tent peg out of the ground is going to consume all of what?
    30 seconds?
    A strong bloke could probably wrench it out in one big tug (no tug jokes thank you Jason :LOL: )

Look let's be honest here, it's a practically useless bit of kit. :roll:
    Maybe if it had an alarm that went off if the peg was moved around, that might be more advantageous.

Some of you blokes would be interested in buying real estate in the Everglades wouldn't you?
  7. I have something like this to stop my dogs running away.
  8. For the few dollars that these things would be and thier compact size, I'd be more inclined to use one than just risk it with a chain (Kryptonite style). As the guys above mentioned nothing is perfect but the more difficult you make it the less attractive it is to a theif.

Maybe a new method of theft deterrant is just to ride around really bad rat bikes. Who'd want to steal that, even if it only took 30 seconds to get going?
  9. I thought it was a decent idea until I saw how small it was. If it went in about 120cm deep, then it'd be anchored reasonably well, not the ~30cm length that it's presently sized at.
  10. Surely no-one is actually parking their motorbike on grass?!?!?!?

Spot of rain - bike falls over, anchor comes out.

What a piece of crap.

Maybe ok for mountain bikes/BMX.
  11. So what. It's still only going to be as good as the chain between it and the bike - get around that or the lock and you can leave the damn thing in the ground. All it's really going to do is to let you know that yes, that was definately the spot you left your bike.
  12. +1

All I have to say about this is:

13. Ah the adventures you have ahead of you young man.
    One day, when you go to a real Aussie bike Rally you will discover that apart from grass, dirt, or sand...there is nowhere else to park the bike mate.

I shall give you the tips on how to do it now.

Tip #1...You take a bit of flat wood or metal with you, or you find a thick branch or a rock when you get to the rally site, and you simply shove it under the sidestand.
    This stops the bike sinking into the earth and falling over.
    Tip #2...Never park the bike next to your tent, people have had nasty accidents like that when the bike falls over on them in the middle of the night.
    Tip #3...Don't park the bikes next to one another, or you get the domino affect. And I ain't talking about pizzas. :LOL: