Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News: Motorcycle accidents epidemic for returning US troops

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by ForumBot, Feb 7, 2006.

1. More US armed forces have died in off-duty motorcycle accidents since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, than have been killed in combat in Afghanistan over that same time, according to safety records.

... more

This is an automated posting of a new news item added to Netrider News.

2. A large part of this is probably from deterioration of riding skills after a long break while on active service. Pilots have recency criteria for certain types of flying to make sure they have enough recent practice to be considered safe to fly with passengers so for something requiring refined motor skills and thought patterns, such as riding a bike, it pays to get back into it slowly.

When I get back into it after 3 months away(30 days to go), I will be starting off real slow until I feel I have overcome the staleness.

3. No mate, you missed the point of the article. It's about the thrill and the excitment of riding in regards to just coming back from a combat zone.
    You live with adrenilan every day in Iraq and the Ghan. It's a natrual high, many guys can't get over it. You ride fast, you drive fast, right up to the edge where you think you might not make the next corner, then the adrenilan kicks in, then you've got to the zone you were looking for. If these guys were rollerblading they'd do it on the edge of mountains, anything to get the adrenilan rush.
    Given time and a little mental control it goes away.
    Regular high engery exersise is often a good substitute, but many soldiers, away from the routine of the military when on leave let everyday exersise slide. Bikes were a favorite of many soldiers who returned from World War Two, many of the modern motorcycle gangs were formed by ex soldiers. Same thing now, just a different war is all.

4. To a certain extent I think both of your theories are correct. I just took my bike out for the first time in 3 months today. I was crap.

Up until my crash everything was coming natural. Avoiding objects. Picking lines, braking points. After hitting some bastard gravel (3 mths ago) and loosing the front end I have next to no confidence in the front (i'll buy some new tyres that'll fix it :) ).

I definitely agree with you gegvasco it certainly does pay to get back in to it slowly.
    It makes you appreciate the efforts of top level riders who can crash their bike, run back to the pits get on their "B" bike and qualify first.

5. just a slight correction jaqhama. it was the original outlaw(1%clubs)(for scooter)that were formed by ex military personel, it was there way of thumbing their noses at a country that thumbed their nose at the ex servicemen. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

6. Actually, if you study your recent history, you will find that a lot of people came home from wars addicted to drugs/alcohol, and having seen death and cheated it, careless as a result..... Some were (and still are) subconsciously suicidal....

7. Those war death figures are understated IMO.

If you read the article carefully, you'll see that they are talking about soldiers that have returned from Afghanistan and Iraq, however only compare the number of bike deaths to the yank death tally in Afghanistan.

Of course the figure wouldn't be as impressive (to the media) if they compared bike deaths to the number of soldiers that were killed/being killed in both these places.

8. Guys, America has nearly 2 million soliders, sailors, airmen and marines. 359 deaths on motorcycles as a proportion?? What about car-related deaths? Or accidental drownings?

Or suicides??

Many more than 359 US service personnel have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq; I think the death toll in Iraq recently topped 2,000.

9. WHAT HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH THE ONES THAT COME HOME GETTING ON A BIKE AND HAVING A STACK :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

A SAD FACT YES BUT STUFF ALL TO DO WITH THRE ORIGINAL POST

10. {pardon??}

I can't hear you !

11. Well can I sugest you learn the meaning of caps lock on a chat forum and then you may be able too. :wink: :wink:

12. Ahh, that's better.....

(the volume, not the content :LOL:)

13. Wrong. It has everything to do with the original post. The article implies that there is something unusual about the number of motorcycle deaths amongst returning service personel. The reader is led to the conclusion that there is a link between motorcycle deaths and returning from active service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But that conclusion only makes sense if you can demonstrate that the rate is higher than:
    a) the rate of motorcycle accidents amongst personel returning from other theatres of war or
    b) the rate of motorcycle accidents amongst all service personel or
    c) the rate of motorcycle accidents amongst the general population or
    d) the rate of accidental death of all kinds amongst one of these groups.

In short, the article is a journalists beat-up unless there is some reason to think that the rate of deaths is unusual, and that there is a link between active service and deaths, and that no other confounding variable is skewing the data. Nothing in the article provides the baseline data for comparison.

14. I'll clarify my original post about Motorcycle Gangs:
    Many (but not all) modern motorcycle gangs can trace their founding members back to the early years following World War Two. Ex-servicemen who found the return to civilian life rather more boring than engaging in active combat situations saw motorcycles as a way to enjoy themselves. Many were ex-bomber and fighter pilots who saw two wheeled machines as a land bound extension of flying.
    Some of the first clubs (which later turned into what most would refer to as gangs) were The Galloping Goose's, The Boozefighters, The Gypsy Jokers, The Hell's Angels. It had nothing to do with thumbing their noses at a country that shunned them, ex-servicemen and women in America who had served in World War Two were worshipped back home. (Vietnam was a different era and another story) The veterans chose bikes as their form of transport and enjoyment because they were loud, fast and powerful. And dangerous.
    It's generally considered that either the Goose's or the Boozefighters were the first club. The Gypsy Jokers, The Hell's Angels, The Black Sheep and the Flying Tigers were all the original names of the bomber and fighter squadrons that the servicemen came from.
    The term One Percenter originated at the town of Hollister, a small drunken brawl by some M/C members was blown out of all proportion.
    The AMA came out with a statement to the press that the violence at Hollister was caused by only a few members of motorcycle clubs who made up only one percent of the entire motorcycling population.
    Hence the term one percenter was born.
    Sonny Barger of the Hell's Angels claims that when he heard the announcement of that on the radio, he and Chocolate George Wilson, immediately went to a tattooist in Oakland, California, and had the now famous 1% badge tattooed on their arms. Outlaw bikers all across the USA took the 1% logo to heart and many wear it today.
    An interesting side note to this is that for the first time in many years Hollister is offically closed to the annual rally. Rumour has it that bikers are still intending to converge on the town regardless.
    Please forgive me if I sound like an authority on Outlaw M/C's and their origins, it goes with the territory. I write stories and articles for Bikernet.com, one of the more popular Custom Harley/Chopper Webzines on the Net. Keith "Bandit" Ball is the owner/editor. He was the former editor of Easyriders magazine for many years.
    You can find articles and stories about the original motorcycle gangs on his site, complete with many rare black and white photos of the members and their bikes.