Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

news-Father's plea for superbike clampdown

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by livingstonest, Feb 20, 2006.

1. http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/too-much-too-soon/2006/02/20/1140283989021.html

Code:
    Father's plea for superbike clampdown

* Email
        * Print
        * Normal font
        * Large font

By David Braithwaite
    February 20, 2006 - 1:36PM
    Page 1 of 2
    MAtthew Mork ... "A person with Matthew's record should never, ever have been allowed to have a bike like that ..."

MAtthew Mork ... "A person with Matthew's record should never, ever have been allowed to have a bike like that ..."
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

Matthew Mork's father and friends warned him he'd kill himself if he bought a 1200cc super sports bike.

And just one day after buying the 300kmh Kawasaki Ninja on a $23,000 loan, the 22-year-old tragically proved them right, killing himself doing a "wheelie".

Now, three days after burying his son, racing driver Richard Mork, 58, is calling for a licensing clampdown to stop young people like his son - who had an appalling driving record - from being allowed to ride such powerful machines.

Matthew's funeral was held Friday in his home town of Londonderry, and he was buried in the same plot as his late mother at a cemetery in Rouse Hill.

Mr Mork said his son's mates told him at the funeral that they had warned Matthew he would kill himself if he bought the 1200cc Kawasaki Ninja bike.

"They said they told him he'd get himself killed on that bike," he said.

"I could barely speak, but I got up and gave them the message at the funeral if they got behind a wheel or on a bike they should think of their mate Matthew."

Mr Mork said he also implored Matthew not to buy the motorcycle, described on a Kawasaki website as a super sports bike with "mind-boggling power".

"And I told him I wouldn't lend him my big motor cycle because he wouldn't last a week on it - the way these big bikes accelerate, they're just weapons," he said.

Mr Mork was frank about his late son's driving record - he said Matthew had his licence suspended several times for a period totalling three-and-a-half years.

He said Matthew had appeared in court for a number of incidents, including a 20-minute police chase, about a month after he got his first set of P-plates.

But Mr Mork - who has more than 40 years' motorsport experience, including driving V8 Supercars - said this should have been a warning sign to licensing authorities.

He admitted to some close shaves when he was a young driver.

"I was lucky to get through, but they have got to take that element of luck out of it," he said.

New laws introduced last December prohibit NSW provisional riders from motorcycles larger than 660cc plus a range of more powerful, smaller bikes.

But a full licence for any motorcycle can be obtained after just 15 months on the road - three months as a learner and one year as a provisional rider.

The pre-learner's licence course involves seven hours' training, while six hours' training plus a one hour test is needed for a provisional licence.

2. Darwinism for the win.

3. surely there is a limit to where you can protect people from their own stupidity?
    who in the hell gets a loan to pay off the insurance? what happens when it comes round the next year?

The poor father sounds like a pretty sensible bloke. Couldn't imagine what he would be going through and I guess you'd be searching for answers. It sounds, however, that the kid was out hoon no matter what restrictions were put in place (i mean 23k would stop most people in their tracks let alone going for a 1200cc bike first up

4. The father has some valid point imo about licensing going from a 175CC to a hypersport..

5. agreed, but given the kids driving record i doubt the restrictions would have been adhered to anway...

he'd been suspended for 3.5 years, i'm assuming it would be for fast driving... at some point if you are pushing it (without the skill & luck) something bad is going to happen.

6. Yep the father has some valid points. But reading through the article, if the kid wasn't able to kill himself that way, he would have just found an other way to kill himself.

7. Unfortunately you cannot legislate against stupidity no matter how hard gov.co tries.
    I feel for the father.

8. imagine if they started taxing stupidity :shock: talk about a budget surplus :p :p

9. Agreed. I could rarely support the call for restriction of others people rights, because of the stupidity of some individuals, especially in times of grief.

Isn't it fairly common to bundle the first years insurance into the purchase price of a bike when financing it?

Condolences to family and friends of this guy.

10. Its exactly the same as the gun argument - with regards to morality and public safety - but it ddoes not equate when you think about the variance bwteen gun tax revenue and motor vehicle revenue.

License testing is a joke. (for cars and bikes)

11. Darwin award winner

12. The simple solution would be that suggested recently in the media - that having a full car licence be a pre-requisite to getting a bike licence. This would at least stop those getting a bike as a means of getting around the performance restrictions for p-plate drivers (can't buy a v8, buy a bike instead kind of thinking). At the very least they could look at restricting anyone without a full licence to a LAMS bike.

13. I don't think that is a fair comparison. Guns are much more likely to be intentionally used to kill/injure someone other than the holder.

14. Not really. Buying a high-powered bike doesn't let you mow down dozens of people. You might manage to get a few, but if you really wanted to cause more damage, you'd buy a gun, hijack a truck, and then drive that through Bourke Street Mall at high speed between 1-2pm.

Largely, buying a powerful bike doesn't equip you to cause mass harm, whether directly (ramming people) or indirectly (threat/hijacking to gain access to more deadly equipment).

The two are not even remotely related.

15. i'd probably dispute that. most LICENCED gun owners are pretty damn good about it, its the UNLICENCED ones that cause problems. and unfortunately, its also the unlicenced ones that are impossible to keep in line, they're breaking the law anyways so making them tighter does nothing :roll:

plus, i've ridden/driven around in peak hour traffic enuff to know which i'm more frightened of :shock: there are some screwed up people out there, and they're legally allowed to point a car at me :?

16. Only in the hands of a moron, which was exactly the cause of this scenario. The lowest common denominator thinking our Politicians seem to take really sucks. Don't take guns off perfectly responsible people and don't give licences to completely irresponsible morons.
    I don't think it's too much to ask.

17. if you were to buy a gun legally, i think you'd find you'll have a bit of trouble driving a truck at the same time as shooting people (i'm sure john wayne could do it, but i dont think using a bolt action rifle while driving would be altogether too easy :LOL: )

18. The number of deaths that are gun related compared to the number of deaths that are high powered vehicle related is the real issue though, not _intent_, and there are many more vehicle accidents resulting in death than gun accidents resulting in death.

For the purposes of reducing deaths intent is irrelevant and therefore the gun argument isn't invalid... as long as ones stated intent is to reduce fatalities (and serious injuries).

And no... I have no guns or gun licence before you accuse me of being a 'gun loony' :)

19. I think everyone has valid points here. Unfortunately for this fella if it wasn't on the first day of getting his ninja it woulda been a month, a year or few yrs later. I mean c'mon, you don't go pulling wheelies on your first day with that kinda bike!

I feel for the father....i think everyone here knows of at least one person who should never ride a motorbike.....ie they're too emotional, easily distracted, hot-headed, un-coordinated

At least this guy didn't end up taking out anybody, let alone those poor 6 teenages down in VIC

20. it does appear that way eh :?

sure, stop him from getting a zx12 straight off the mark, he'll find a way to be silly on that RS250 instead. pretty nasty for his dad, but i'd be thinking he would have known it was only a matter of time anyways :(