Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News: Canada gets it right with mopeds and scooters

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' started by ForumBot, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Moped and scooters are the current two-wheeled fad across the world. Sales are increasing exponentially, and the safety and licensing of scooter and moped riders is on everyone\'s minds. Canada is leading the way in this area, and seems to have gotten it right!

... more

This is an automated posting of a new news item added to Netrider News.
  2. Funny, a similar scheme of introducing a special moped/light motorcycle has been recommended to the Victorian government twice (once by the RACV and once by one of their own committees) - both times it was rejected.
  3. Because there is no benefit over current licensing methods and testing. In fact, you can do your bike test on a scooter if you like/prefer. (So that could be an argument for a different license type, so that if you do it on a scooter you can only ride a scooter)

That said, either option is certainly a much better idea than allowing scooter riding on a car license, like some people advocate :x
  4. WA has both options. There is a moped/scooter licence that can be obtained at 16 years of age. There is also the, 'on a car license' option for 17 years and older.
  5. I'd love to see some stat's on scooter accident rates for those with this license type. Quantified correctly on a % of accidents per active rider with this license type and factoring in km's travelled.
  6. I'm not sure that would be indicative of anywhere but Perth. The geography of WA means that you just don't ever see a scooter more than a few k's from the CBD. Perth doesn't have a fraction of the 'urban sprawl' that most cities do, and to go to outlying towns is just not a practical scooter ride.

Edit - Given WA's unique licensing, what would be interesting would be a comparison of the 'licensed' scooter riders, and the 'car license' riders here in Perth. I suspect a difference in safety would be obvious.