Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Newman vows to review Q-Ride licensing laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by CoinSlot, Mar 2, 2012.

1. http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/sunshine-coast/newman-vows-to-review-licensing-laws/story-fn8m0yxo-1226287181399

Do the real stats back this statement up?

2. probably. I'm guessing there has been an alarming increase in the number of motorbikes in Queensland over the last five years

3. Interesting that one article states the motorcycle road toll is down across the state, but up in the Sunshine Coast region. Perhaps this is reflective of the road networks around the Sunshine Coast hinterland? Are riders moving outside thier comfort zone too soon in their riding careers on some challenging roads? Does changing the licence process actually address this?

I'm guessing that most new riders would be more circumspect in their risk management than new drivers when considering the consequences of making mistakes. Q-Ride in QLD is indeed brief and introductory, but it does give new riders the information required to operate a bike.

If the new new rider choses to test out these freshly aquired skills up in the twisties rather than a quiet cul-de-sac in their neighbourhood then they need to accept the consequences of that decision, and sadly so to do their families, rather than trying to legislate against peoples rights to make those decisions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. More like a massive increase in scooter sales, absolutely zero training, cheap open-face helmets and no other safety gear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. https://www.webcrash.transport.qld.gov.au/webcrash2/external/daupage/weekly/roadsense.pdf

Seem to be off to a better start this year.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/15a8d250-8918-4067-b136-513da8c6412c/pdf_motorcycle_safety_strategy_2009_2012_complete_may09.pdf

Makes sense we would see a rise in crashes.

For what it's worth, in my experience I do happen to think that the Q-Ride system could use some updating. I passed having never ridden a road bike before and was pretty sketchy through-out the day. What I did do is take my time once I bought a bike, learned the necessary craft required and have survived unscratched for over two years now. I think time on a bike before the course would help a great deal for newbies.

EDIT:

Yes, this exactly.

6. But if it saves just one life it'll be....

Yeah I can't even type that with a straight face.
    This sounds like another knee jerk campaign by a family member looking for someone to blame.

Not that I object to reviewing the laws per se,
    but I'd like the headling to read: Newman to investigate what can be done to help vulnerable road users.

• Like Like x 1
  7. To true Damo, but then that wouldn't be politics would it....

I don't for a moment think that we shouldn't look at improving or updating Q-Ride. I see this course are just the begining of the process. Every year I try do do some kind of training, whether it be Stay Upright's advanced courses or track tuition with Champions Ride days. I've found some of it repetitive, some of it too simplistic, but all of it usefull in reinforcing basic skills and road craft. The bonus is that it's also a lot of fun.

8. So who the hell is Donna Ferguson and why is she claiming to be losing sleep over motorcycle fatalities?

Just what we need; to hand policy making over to a sleep deprived grieving parent(?).

9. "mum blames lack of mandatory education for kid's death"
    it's the same wagon they peddle every time some dickwit gets squished

pretty much yeah
    some kid went for a slide into an armco, sustained fatal head injuries.
    QPOL have denied being involved in a chase, though they had begun pursuit for "an alleged offense" but the kid was apparently already on his ass when they chucked a u-turn.
    rest of the article rattles on about how awesome the kid was

10. :soapbox:
    I got my Ls in Qld, and Ps and on to open in NSW.

Q-Ride excluded (because I didn't do it), NSW system is far better than Qld's (as a Qld'er that is hard for me to say). 6 written questions which had nothing to do with motorbike or road safety (if I remember correctly, years ago), and you get your Ls and can ride on the road and get experience if you are lucky enough to have a rider with an open license follow you.

In NSW I believe (I didn't do it), to get your Ls its a two day course about safety, techniques, tour of the bike and controls, skills course and road ride. Then you get your Ls and you can ride a restricted bike on the road if you are deemed competent by the instructor. Then its another course to get you Ps if you pass. I got a stack of hours in various conditions riding a 250 when on my Ls in NSW. Waited for my opens, my I have a blast and ride safely on a litre. I couldn't have done it as smoothly in Qld (just think, you have some time alone so you go for a ride, or ride to work, no need to be followed).

Is the big attraction of Q-Ride that you can avoid a restricted bike period? Is this really a good idea? I think all riders should have to do some training to get their Ls and Ps, not a few stupid questions like do you have to wear a helmet and how do you park your bike.

11. nah that straight to unrestricted thing was booted a few years back, even for open car licenseholders you have restrictions on bikes for a year
    when i did q-ride the instructor was chatting about license requirements and how qride instructors are trying to get QLD onto the same setup nsw has

12. no

In QLD to do the test at QLD transport you need your l's for 6 month
    You don't for Qride

So it's a minimum of holding another class of licence for one year, plus
    - 24 hrs on l's for Qride
    Or
    - 6 months l's for QLD transport test

Why wait the 6 months is why people do Qride

13. I curious whether Newman, Emmerson, Ferguson or Palaszczuk have ridden a bike before?

And why oh why do people keep demanding the government be an omnipotent arbiter of anti-death? sigh.

14. #14 MAG1991, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    My only gripe after my friends and I all went through the QRide process relatively close together was that different companies seemed to provide differing depths of training. I passed and afterwards felt relatively confident in my ability to ride. One of my friends can't slow ride, do u turns or take off without stalling yet he passed just the same. ❔❔❔

15. As much as people like you want to try and shift the blame for motorcycle fatalities or serious injuries onto scooter riders, the numbers just aren't there. Some gravel rash and the odd broken bone maybe, but scooter fatalities over the last five years can still be counted on the fingers of one hand. And scooter sales are declining, according to a contact in the industry. Pity; they're ideal city transport.

This shift in responsibility from the individual to the system that licenses them is insidious. I'm all for good instruction but the QRide instructor wasn't holding this kid's throttle open. Why not make advanced training obligatory after six months on the road if you're going to quality-check Q Ride? At least by then the rider knows what they need to work on.

16. Interesting idea. I'm planning to go do another training course soon for exactly that reason.

I like the current system with the two options - especially since QRide is supposed to be competence-based so that you can get your license straight away if you have the skills. (Compared to when I went overseas and had a mandatory five sessions of motorcycle training before I could transfer my license even though I was a competent rider.)

So if there's some way to better ensure an even, high quality across the board then great, but I hope they don't simply substitute quantity of training with quality.

17. Hmm. As a Queenslander having done the QRide under the current system (in fact, still restricted because I can't find time to go do the upgrade test), I am wondering what is broken.

From what I understand here, a young male rider (Angus) was speeding (probably not by much), saw a cop car, panicked and slid out.

QRide is 1 year on Open Car, 6 *really dodgy* multi-guess questions (can then ride anywhere supervised on a LAMS bike), at least one day QRide competency assessment (can do it in two or more). You then have to ride a year on restricted conditions before having to go back and be assessed for competency exactly the same as the year except now you are on a 600cc non-LAMS bike. You can have both competency assessments done at Queensland Transport but that's really annoying even without the six months - you need someone to supervise your bike there for you - and hang around to take you home - and their locations are less than convenient depending on where you live. Plus it's a half-hour (?) or so 'pass/fail' test.

I think this is a big improvement over the 'get learners on Friday, get open licence by Monday' system that they had for Open Licence holders before. I think an improvement would be some sort of competency test rather than six multiple choice questions. And I think some time (logbook?) on a bike under instruction by an open licence holder (like, months, rather than zero) before your QRide Tests would be an improvement. As much as it annoys me I'd probably keep the requirement to do a competency assessment before moving up to Opens. Perhaps too there should be something about whether you are still riding or are a 'returning rider'. What I don't know - annual form? Tick-a-box when you renew your licence every 5 years?

But there's no suggestion the rider here wasn't riding a LAMS bike, and nor that he was incompetent. It sounds like he panicked. I don't see any factor here other than attitude adjustment/experience that might have helped. From my understanding motorcycle fatalities (presumably crashes as well) have decreased, not increased, spectacularly since they changed to the QRide and LAMS system. If you ask me, any spike in the Sunshine Coast is probably due to the roads they have up there (wonderful riding roads generally but some not for the inexperienced) combined with the fact that it has been raining non-stop there for the past three years.

I note that Scott Emerson (he's my local member *cough*, so to speak) has only actually promised to "review the matter and investigate further after the election". That's weasel speak for "take this hand grenade away before the election". Chances are he'll review the system and do very little about it.