Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newish to riding and ready to buy.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Leif, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Just got my L's again last month after letting them expire about 15 years ago!
    Looking at picking up a Honda CB400.

Already have questions, mainly whether I should spend about 8k on a 2 year old EFI or spend only 5-6k on an imported 95-97 to get me going.
    As much as i would like new or near new, being used to new cars and reliability etc I am tipping spending less on a first bike is a good idea.

Anyone had any experiences with mid-late 90s CB400s?

2. Welcome to the forums dude!

Depends on what kind of bike you want I spose. I bought a ZZR250, 2006 model near new for only $3800 on the road and my mate just got a CBF250 for about $3200, 2007 model. However in saying that the price of 250's are going to be cheaper then the 400's.
  3. I've got a 2008 CB400 - highly recommended. Sorry I can't comment on the earlier models but I think they are very different to the newer version.

Welcome to the forummm
  4. welcome in
  5. Hey Leif and welcome back.
    Personally I would spend as much as I could on getting lessons. It might work out cheaper in the long run. And make riding more fun. Sorry its my job ha ha.
    Seriously though it's not a bad idea. How we ride and teach has come a long way in fifteen years. A simple drop can cost more than your excess. And confidence will come quicker to you. You've been taught so you are not making it up a you go along. Once again that gives you more confidence.
    i see so many who just do Qride or hart and thats it. We teach FA about riding in those classes. Really just the basics.
    I would be looking at offering 6g on a two year old and 3g max on a 95. Hope your very mechanically inclined if you are buying the older one.
  6. Welcome and good luck with many more rewarding riding years ahead.

7. Hey Leif - welcome & enjoy!