Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newie Newb

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Jeffreym, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Hi Everyone.
    I've been monitoring the forum for a few weeks now and decided today is the day I stop being a creep and start participating in the forum =D.

Anyways some talk about me and why I joined.

I moved to Sydney 2 years ago from the Netherlands. I only did half a day of driving a motor cycle (CB500) and loved it! However seeing as I didn't get my license back then I am now on my way to get my L's + P's.
    As it currently stands I am looking to get my L's and become a proper loving bike fanatic in about 2-3 months.

At the moment I've been looking at various beauties to start my motor career with, them being; KTM Duke 390, Kawasaki ER6-N, Yamaha XJ6 or MT07, Benelli bn302.
    Meaning yes I am looking at getting a Naked bike and dont necessarily want a 250, 300 or 600cc engine. I am looking for a bike that is easy to handle and navigate with as I will use it for my daily commute from Campbell town Area to Kensington/Randwick. Meaning M5 highway and a bit of city driving, I'm not much of a speed devil but more about safety and comfort however I do like the sound of a proper motor engine (don't we all?)
    My budget would be around the 6-7k Limit max. and am very interested to hear your ideas =], I am 185cm and 75kg for those who are keen to make their own suggestions.

As I said I don't have my motor license yet nor do I have any real experience with handling a bike properly. Once I do get my license I'll be sure to rock up to the test driving weekends that you guys organise near Homebush.

Thanks guys :)
  2. Welcome mate :cool:

For a bit of motorway something with a bit of extra go will be helpful. If you can get a chance to sit on your list of bikes it will help you as each one will have a different riding position. Good to hear that you'll get to Homebush, it's run byt a good bunch of guys and you'll learn a lot!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Howdy and welcome to NR JeffreymJeffreym . Have fun finding your new ride. Have you thought about petrol tank capacity? I'm commuting about 120km's a day on a VTR250 and I'm filling up every 2/3 days. It's comfy enough but wouldn't mind not having to stop so often. :bored:

Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you go! :woot:
  4. Welcome (or welkom as jy wil) - yup go sit on them all and try them out, you may be surprised by what might suddenly feel good:bad once you try them out.
  5. welcome aboard :)
  6. welcome to the forum.

I highly recommend the Duke 390. I prefer to commute on the M1 into North Sydney much more than my MV Agusta. You can even tour on it - just see ValvolineValvoline 's adventures and blog on what is possible.

Added bonus it's so much fun looking for the perfect bike.

If you want - pop in at the Saturday Learner sessions at Olympic Park (there's a thread called SYdney Learner sessions at Homebush). You'll be able to see others with their bikes and sit/touch/feel and ask stupid questions
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks everyone, and thanks for the tips :)
    Ye from what I read being on the highway with some extra speed would come in handy. 69SIM69SIM
    But I will definitely try to sit in them before I make my final decision although I am mostly looking for second hand ones as opposed to dealers or ex demos seeing as the price difference is quite significant.
    GoldenberriGoldenberri it would be around 100km in total a day that I would have to commute.
    GeorgeOGeorgeO it is a lot of fun but at the same time I just want to win the lottery and buy them all now! And I do like the Duke 390 a lot but the M5 always get some traffic so I would be driving slowly at some stages and 110 at others, meaning it either vibrates (according to some) or have to stay in low gear due to it being a high rev engine.
  8. gday JeffreymJeffreym and welcome to NR - some great advice about motorway riding speed and fuel from 69SIM69SIM and GoldenberriGoldenberri

I like it how you're about safety and comfort yet you want a m/cycle so you can ride the M5 everyday - dude are you crazy? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  9. G'day mate, yep heard nothing bad about the little Duke 390....can pick a used one for around 5 grand!
  10. Thanks
    Hahahah fair point. Maybe I'll just get a tank? Surely that should solve my traffic issue..don't know how they run fuel wise though
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. there are some pretty crap cagers on that road
  12. Welcome to the forum JeffreymJeffreym & to the expensive, all consuming hobby :)

Try try try the all! Out just never know what will end up tickling your fancy. ;)

Yes, as GeorgeOGeorgeO & tigamica350tigamica350 have said. The Duke 390 is a good and v v nimble commuter :) I got it partly because it's the lightest bike for that class on the marked and can go like the clappers when needed.

Don't worry too much about the highway stuff - it is capable. But like ANY of the smaller bike classes, they'll be a bit 'blowy'... Fuel on the other hand ... I get a kick when I go to the petrol station and get change from $15 of Ron98 for a tank full :singing::D
  13. ValvolineValvoline as the greedy Dutchman that I am. I am definitely looking forward to those gas station moments
  14. I don't think the Duke will give you much issues. It really does not vibrate that much and it is rather punchy
  15. Welcome to NR...
  16. GeorgeOGeorgeO mm I should really try it for a spin before I completely rule it out. But I have to admit the Xj6 is currently stealing my heart
  17. Go where the heart palpitations are the strongest
  18. Sounds like a plan to me.