Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newby from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by hcwd, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I thought it was about time I did a welcome post, having had my first bike for two weeks, and having spent many hours over the past few months reading netrider forums in contemplation of getting my Ls and buying a bike.

My primary motivator for buying a bike was to escape the crowded trains on my daily commute of about 15km into the Melbourne CBD. I was looking for something cheap, dependable, and of course still plenty of two-wheeled fun.

So having obtained my L's at the end of December, I am now the proud owner of a Honda CB125e. Yes, it is a very basic bike, and not exactly powerful, but so far I'm having a blast. Importantly, it is more than capable of keeping up with traffic on my commute and is very easy to learn on. No doubt I will eventually upgrade it, but for now it suits my need perfectly.
  2. Welcome.
    Which side of melbourne are you on ?
  3. Welcome to NR. Make sure the first thing you alway's do is warm it up. They do not like being cold.
  4. Welcome. Awesome choice of bike you have there.
  5. Welcome mate, enjoy the riding and go hit up some of the newbie practise sessions to improve your riding skills and knowledge. A wealth of info here (present poster excluded)...;-)
  6. Thanks :) I'm on the South-East side (Murrumbeena)
  7. That's not too far from the middle of Melbourne nowadays, the way we're spreading out east.
    It's a pretty good place to base from. Not too far from the city or the hills.
    See if you can make a Saturday practice in Elwood.
  8. Yes, thankfully I was aware of this before I bought it and have factored warming it up into my routine. I am trying to be as kind to the bike as possible - I have at least a little mechanical sympathy in me (I hope!)
  9. Welcome to NR..

+1 to Saturday practice... Truly an awesome Place..with awesome people..
  10. Welcome to the forum and a lifetime of addiction!

At least you are starting out on a 125. I only had the option of a 50cc back in the day! Reckon it's best to learn the basics on a small lightweight bike first before going big!
  11. welcome aboard :] it certainly beats training it in :]
  12. G'day.

Our situations sound pretty similar - I got my L's a few weeks ago and then picked up a used CB125e last week for my daily commute from Elwood to Southbank.

Let me know if you pick up any hot tips in terms of riding and/or maintaining the big burly 125. I've already had to fiddle with the idle speed adjustment a little bit but otherwise so far, so good.

13. Thanks all, definitely planning to make it to Saturday practice soon!
  14. Great to know there's at least one other CB125e owner on NR! I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the bike, so will definitely let know know if I come across any hot tips!