Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie's Blog by Raid

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Raid, Feb 12, 2012.

1. As i mentioned in another post, i would keep a blog of my progress..

Today, i met my mentor for the first time, Bumbleebeeman. Prior to this, after offering to assist me through this forum, we have been e mailing back and forth and planning logistics, etc, etc.

I live on the northside, Ascot area, and we have been discussing areas for practice. I did some recon, and found about 4 areas, just in case Bumbleebeeman was not familiar with my area.

Not to worry, my mentor actually did some recon of his own! He found the tradezone area, about five minutes from my place.

Bumbleebeeman rang me up just after mid day, and we arranged for him to come over to my place.....he was there in twenty minutes or so!

After some introductions and general talk about riding and my bike, we set off for the practice area, with him riding my bike, and me, following in my car.

Mentor did a fine job finding the area, it's perfect----no cars, nice long straight roads, good turns, and some big round abouts, not to mentions a big empty car park. Perfect indeed.

So, the moment of truth, i was shitting bricks....if you have read my other posts, you would know that i had a spill trying to come up my drive way, which did not do my confidence a world of good!....so it's been about almost two weeks since that time, and about three weeks since my q ride course..

So this was my MAIDEN try on the bike, first time ever on the road. After, advising me on the finer points of take off.....off i went, hesitant, but on the way, and not a hiccup!

My first trip around, i was very cautious and stayed in second gear....i did this maybe three times.....until i got a really good feel for the gears, brakes, and specially the throttle....

After the third trip around, i got upto third, then fourth.....getting it upto speed, then down changing......what a feeling!

I stopped by my mentor for some feedback.....he said, i was doing really well and was happy with my gear changes.....next set of rounds, he wanted me to mix it up a bit and use different routes.....it's a big area, and lots of side streets, turns, and roundabouts......so off i went, each time, feeling more and more confident.....and once again, an awesome feeling! I couldnt wipe the stupid grin on my face!

More feedback from Bumblebeeman.....i was too early in down shifting coming upto roundabout and corners....but otherwise, he said a good start for me already.....

The next round was take off.....on the straight, all i did, was take off, stop, take off, stop.....just getting me really familiar with the friction point....a really good exercise.....as i humble admit....taking off is what i get nervous about.....i will continue to do this exercise on my own until i get it downpat...

I had one more round going all over the place and then we called it a day....as a storm was coming.

Our plan was to have some drinks afterwards, but due to the incoming storm, we had to reconsider for next time....i will gladly shout my mentor a few drinks! and lunch/dinner.

Overall, the day was very exciting for me and did my confidence a lot of good, specially knowing that i can control the bike, that it's not too big or powerful for me....

Bumbleebeeman was very patient and encouraging and calm....installed some confidence in me, an excellent teacher and mentor, so im very lucky, grateful and humbled to be mentored, my big thanks...

We plan for some more next week....it's just a matter of working out the times....but i am very happy and satisfied with my first effort....i feel comfortable knowing that i can do it....without my mentors help, i would still be doubting myself and shitting my pants!

So other newbies out there, i strongly encourge you to get help and find a mentor....just dont steal mine!

Till next time...safe ride everyone...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good write up Raid.

Look forward to the next installment

PS. Is that your mentor on the Buzz insurance ad??.......lol

3. Great to see you have such a good mentor, and that you are coming along so well with it all. You'll be out riding over the mountains before you know it, and with an ever broader smile on your face than now!

4. A good read Raid and thanks to the BeeMan. (y)

Awesome effort there.

5. So after my first day out with my mentor, tonight was my first time out, on my own.

The first part was i thought going to be the hardest part....going up the ramp. As advised, i positioned my bike, dead straight and a metre or two before the ramp.....smooth take off, just like i practiced....and i was up and riding up the ramp....all the way out to the street.....

It was eleven 2300 or so, so very quiet. It had been raining earlier, but to my luck, it stopped and the road was actually dry.

I turned right at the top of the ramp, straight onto the street and then left onto Racecourse Road, the main drag. Once again, i was advised to turn left first.....

Once i was on Racecourse road....everything just went click, and i was soon changing gears all the way to fourth....then back down all the way to first at the end of the street. I hit a light, so this was my first time at the lights, and i had to turn left.....no problem, managed to take off smoothly, without freaking out and stalling......so off i went with a monkey grin, only to realise a few hundred metres down the road...my freaking indicators were still on!

There were no cars, but i thought i'd still pull over and make sure i knew how these indicators worked as far as on/off.....i took my time getting to know these ....pretty simple....so off i went....to MacDonalds, at Albion, it's 24 hours.....

Surprisingly, there were quiet a few cars and people there.....and holy shit, i was getting some looks! I felt cool, not to mention slightly embarassed, if only they knew! ha ha ha....it's only a noob! Of course , i had to stay cool, and i was praying, "dear god, please don't let me drop the bike in front of all these people".....so i was very careful parking it, making sure the stand was out and the bike was grounded before getting off.......

I proudly walked into Maccas.....with the helmet, glasses and, black masks on! I don't know whether they were scared or just bemused...but i sure felt stupid!......Even worse, when i realised what i had done, i tried to take off my helmet....of course i still had the gloves on......so i calmly and cooly stepped back outside as if i knew what i was doing.....hey, no one was going to say anything in my face....after all, i was all in black, with masks and all....a total badass...lol....

Of course, while i was stuffing around, everyone was still looking at me.....is this normal?....or maybe they just thought i was behaving oddly?....or do people stare at bike riders?

Anyway, i finally managed to wrestle out of the gloves and helmet....in i went for my chocolate sundae......probably nothing more ridiculous looking than a biker in black, with a big bike.....eating a sundae....but i did manage to scowl through it all.....represent!

After the sundae....i decided to head towards breakfast creek hotel, using the backroads, with lots of hills, and turns, and little roundabouts.....

I used the Breakfast Creek hotel carpark to do slow maneuvers, and figure eights.....

I also tried some u turns.....i bloody have no idea what to do in a small street.....bigger streets, yeah, alright, but tight streets, ....total noob territory...

I think i spent about thirty minutes doing some q ride maneuvers.....then off i went back to Hamilton and towards Tradezone, my first practice place with my mentor.

Absolutely zero traffic....and i had a blast doing some fast gear changes and stop starts at roundabouts....trying to simulate take off during traffic.....I did well, no stalling , no nerves.....Of course, there was no pressure, so i still wasnt sure how i would go in real traffic.....Only one way to find out!

I was feeling good, so i decided to head towards the Valley! Holy shit, that required me to ride along Kingsford Smith Drive with traffic lights and actual traffic, even though it was very light.....

I encountered a few red lights....and to my great relief, i did not stall, and managed to take off fine......what a bad ass!

However, common sense prevailed, so before i actually hit valley central, i turned around and headed home, backtracking.

Once i got back to Hamilton, i did not want to stop, i just wanted to keep riding! So of course, i rationalised, i was thirsty, and needed a drink.....so off i went.....back to MacDonalds!

This time, i was cool, calm, and collected.....I parked, I took off my gloves, the mask, and the helmet....

I walked in holding my helmet....cool as shit....everyone looked at me....well three people anyway.....

"What's up man?"....the kid behind the counter said to me....

"Just been riding man, just riding".......was my cool reply.......yeaaaaaaahaaaaaa!

The ride home made me feel like a real rider......thank christ i was wearing a mask, otherwise they would see a big shit eating grin on my face and be wondering why i was so happy this late at night....

Till next time......safe ride everyone....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Great read!!! Look forward to the next one :)

7. :) Nice read....

8. Well done Raid - great read. Many thoughts that I can relate to over the past few months. I look forward to the next installment.

9. Brilliant! Just what I expected from you. On the next outing we'll both be on bikes. Now the fun really starts.

Peter

10. Tonight i went out again, it didnt rain today, and the weather was good....so after feeling good watching Hangover on tv....i thought, "mmmm, why not go have a coke?'

Of course, this requires suiting up, and getting on the rocket.....never mind that there's a Seven Eleven across the street from me!

A funny thing happened though....i suddenly felt anxious and nervous while preparing the bike....wasnt quiete how i felt the other night....

I plowed on...shitty feeling and all....and once again positioned my bike a metre or two from the driveway up.....then i suddenly got really nervous! What the F is going on here? I took a few minutes to compose myself......and decided to back the bike in towards my garage more.....

This required me to actually take off and steer the bike in between walls at an angle.....I figured, at least this way, i could have a nice smooth take off, get my balance, and steer the bike up the ramp......and it worked!

I got to the top, held the clutch in, engine revving just a little too much....but if the one thing i really learnt is....to SLOWLY let the clutch out.....and of course, im still paranoid about launching the bike out of control....so that probably helps me, or hinders my take off a little bit....

I got to the end of the street for my left turn....car coming....had to stop....time to take off.....and once again.....i got very nervous and had to compose myself for the take off.....luckily, no cars were around.....tsk, tsk...

So i was soon putt putt putting down racecourse road.....still extremely nervous....which started to annoy me.....ok, time to hit a side street and compose myself once again.....

I did my stop/start practice on a quiete street....i found that i was very slow in getting the friction point, and revving the engine too much....for some stupid reason, once i got it to bite, i was very hesitant to let the clutch out a bit more.....i think for fear of stalling or launching.....must get this right, otherwise i can't get confident in heavy traffic....

After a few more goes at stop/start......i set off once again towards, Maccas....the trip to Maccas requires going on Lancaster road, and some narrow and tight turns, which i managed pretty well...

After coming out of a bend....there is a long stretch all the way to Maccas....and i took the opportunity to get it up there.....got to 4th doing sixty...which felt pretty fast.....and out of nowhere i just let out "wooooooooooooh".....amazing feeling.....

Oh ok, here comes Maccas, down shifted all the way to 2nd....and entered the driveway just a little bit too slow in 2nd gear....and promptly stalled! My first stall out.....i felt a total dick.....i was in the corner of the entrance....i kind of panicked a bit.....i was stuck in a slight dip between the road and the entrance.....and i wasnt confident enough that i could put it in first and not stall it again, or worse, launching into the carpark out of control.....paranoia took over me....shit...

By the way, there are two entrances to Maccas carpark...the one i used the other night had no dip, so i just entered in 2nd gear, no problem.....mmm, maybe i should have used the same route......

Anyway, i put the bike in neutral, and push it into the carpark....whew, heaving bloody thing.....by this time, i REALLY needed a drink....and ordered myself a big coke.....

I took my time drinking it and composed myself, thinking about what i could have done(should have been in first gear entering the car park)....

After my drink, I headed to Breakfast Creek hotel to do some slow riding in the car park....but this time, there were still cars....so i headed back home.....

I used Kingsford Smith drive, no problem, although, cars passed me, but those idiots were speeding, i was doing 60ks, so i wasnt exactly putting along....I have to admit....60ks seems fast, so not that comfortable ....im sure that will come in time.....

Racecourse road was coming up on the left....changed down gears, took the corner pretty well, felt really good, and instead of turning left again for home, i decided to just go around the neighborhood just one more time....

I took the opportunity to get it up to 4th and then back down again, no progblem, until i got up to the lights....stalled it!

Luckily there was no one around.....i was on the left lane....and for the life of me....i could not get the bike started....so backed the bike away a few metres so if a car wanted to turn left, it could just get past me......

I put it in neutral...got it started.....put it in gear....and it promptly stalled!.....I repeated this process several times....to no avail.....

By this time, i started to have that "oh shit " feeling....and then my noob brain woke up......and realised the freaking bike was on it's stand....hence everytime i put it in first gear....it stalled! ....Noooooooooooooooooob!

So back on the saddle, bike in first gear.......but once again....it took awhile for me to take off......

This time i didnt stall it, but was not happy with my grandmotherly oh so gentle take off.....I had to finish the night on a high note....

Off i went around the neighborhood one more time.....no problems this time....finally headed home with some pretty good gear changing.....got into the driveway....changed into first gear, but i had to put my foot down, and every so gently, with the back brake, clutch in, one foot down....rode down the driveway and into my parking space!

Wheeew....that was stressful....and strangely wonderful at the same time....

A few points about tonight-----------

1) I definitely need more work on my take offs.....it's the thing that makes me nervous the most.....

2) I need to remember which gear im on....as i think it might have contributed to my stalls....

3) I think because i was still on a high from the other night....once on the road, i thought i would be able to replicate what i did.....and might have been a little non chalant about the whole thing.....don't get me wrong, i wasnt cocky tonight.....but i definitely thought i had it handled.....NOT!

4) Even though, my technical skills are not upto scratch yet....my awareness and cautiousness never deserted me.....continually scanning, etc..

5) I am nervous only because my technical skills are still shit....but i know that will go away once i know how to ride the bike....

For my next session.....

1) Will be doing stop/starts....a priority....i reckon if i get this down, the nervousness will go away....

2) Hill starts....

3) Big circles, figure eights, then U turns....

4) Slalom(simulation), swerving...

5) Back to Maccas to tackle that entrance, this time on first gear...

Ride safe everyone....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Good stuff! My driveway is a bit steep so when I come back from a ride I park the bike on the footpath while I open the garage door. After that I let the clutch out to the friction point and accelerate enough to get up the driveway and into the garage. I tend not to let the clutch all the way out, I just hold it at the friction point. I do this because I'll have to pull it all the way in to stop the bike from stalling once it's stopped anyway.

I've done the same thing with the side stand, I was worried that there was something wrong with my bike, but no, it was just my brain :) When you get used to where the friction point is on your clutch things get a lot easier, I've been out in more traffic since getting used to the clutch. I was out with the cars at a few sets of lights today. No stalling, yay! I stalled a couple of times at a set of lights last week, but it was about 8:50 at night so there wasn't anyone behind me... lucky for me, stalling in front of people is embarrassing!

I haven't attempted a U turn yet, but I went into a court today and turned around there... and nearly ran into the curb :oops: it's a bit scary learning how to do those tighter turns, but you can learn from my mistake:

I looked at the curb instead of where I wanted to go which is probably why I nearly hit it.

The nerves shouldn't last for too long, after you've been out a few times it just becomes a normal thing and doesn't scare you so much anymore. I had a great run today, this was the first time I'd ridden in a 60 zone without my legs shaking lol. Keep up the good work, it gets easier every time, and keep us informed, I'm liking your posts :)

12. Wow! What a day....that's why it took me a while to write this post....i had to unwind for a few hours... to think about my ride today....even now, a few hours later, im still thinking about it....you will see why....this is fairly long, as a lot of shit happened today.....unexpected shit...some WTF shit....

So today was my FIRST ride with my mentor, the ever patient, BBM (Bumblebeeman).....by first, i mean, me following BBM from my place and heading out to a practice area....

This was also my FIRST time out in real traffic during the day....

So off we went, up the driveway.....right away a four wheel drive decided to block me as i was coming up and out of my driveway.....no probs, just let him do his thing......ok, after a quick scan (my street is pretty busy), turned right heading towards Racecourse Road....

I was stuck waiting for traffic....it's a very busy road, and today was race day, so even busier....great! My nerves started to kick in, but only very slightly.....i was more worried about stalling during take off.....lots of crowd around....as well as cars, behind me....

Found a gap, took off with just a little too much rev, but otherwise ok....wheww......then got to the end of the street where we had to turn left onto Kingsford Smith Drive.......I got stuck behind three cars....and my take off was pretty slow....so by the time i got to the lights, it turned red on me again.....by this time, i was talkign to myself, "not to worry, just make it smooth, relax, keep your cool",.....green light....took off, but once again, rev just a little bit too high....and some bemused looks from the crowd.....stuff em....im the one riding the bike after all.....

I took off and did some fast gear changing to get upto speed (60ks) and found BBM on the side of the road waiting....he waved me on....he was soon behind me and overtook me to lead me to the practice area....

This time, the practice area was on the other side of the road from our first practice area.....still quiet, but with a few more cars than the first one.....

BBM had me running laps a few times, just to get a feel for the place, and of course, the bike.....no problem, did as befdore, jsut general riding, and enjoyying some open space to get my confidence up.....

The next on the agenda was U-turns.....as i found that i simply could not do em, and at one of the roads, i a had to do a u turn, and had to stop, then turn.....the roads were separated by a island/strip, but i still had to stop, and put my foot down, insteead of just riding it....

I asked BBM what gear should i be...first or second....and the answer was him jumping on the bike and finding out himself....what the bike could do as far as u turns go.....off he went...

So first gear is the go....and we discussed rear braking to control it....ok, got it.....off i went....and got it the first go! Shit...

The first pass, i took fairly wide, but the next three or so passes, i took em pretty tight....I got as close as i could to the edge of the island, and turned pretty tight, with still plenty of space left from the curb....one of the things that i found really helpful was getting rid of target fixation of the curb....so after my second pass....i came in pretty close to the island....shoulder checked to the left....and immediatedly turned my head towards the road...straight ahead......ok, got that one licked for the day....actually enjoyed it....who would have thought....

Ok, so got that sorted....now onto counter steering/swerving.....BBM gave me a few pointers.....and he was soon standing in the middle of the road to signal me which way to swerve.....we did this 4-5 times....no problem, BBM was satisfied......he said, i had good reactions, and did not over react and did not over steer.....both of us happy with it...

As he had to go pretty early today....the last on the agenda was him taking me out as a passenger on his bike for a ride.....this way, he could show me road craft, which road positions to take, scanning, cornering, etc....and also what it felt like to go 80-100 ks.....

We worked on hand signals when we were moving....with BBM signalling potential hazards, road positioning, etc, etc,.....

Now, prior to this ride, BBM had been sending me some materials to read, very much helpful....but there are some shit in there i don't understand!

One of the things i keep hearing and reading about, and it popped up again in one of the materials he sent me....is the word Apex......i know what it means, but i had no idea what it is in terms of riding.....

Not to worry....BBM got me to a spot, stopped the bike, and showed me what it was.....problem solved....i now know what an apex is.....and little did i know that i would soon be using it.....

So off we went once more....and got to the motorway, where BBM opened up the throttle to 80-100 ks......whoaaa, what a feeling! Oh my f ing god, i could not keep the smile off my face....and i wasnt even the one riding! This bike riding thing is good shit....

But all good things must come to an end.....so back we went to the practice area......we de briefed what we did today.....and just before BBM left, he advised me to practice keeping the bike on a "line"....either imaginary or line on the road......this will help me steer a courrse for the bike and get me to where i actually want to go....we also discussed that after a month or so...i would try getting to the 80-100 ks zone....i thought, that's pretty generous of him to think i would be good enough as good a mentor he is....but it would be awesome if i could do it....

So after BBM head off....that's exactly what i did....practiced following lines.....i did this with roads with lines as well as picking my own line and follwing it.....and of course, at every corner, i looked at the Apex and beyond....so much easier that way....

So i was feeling pretty good and decided i would explore the area more....did a few more laps....really got my gear changing happening, a few round abouts, corners....yep, great....and then i turned.....

Straight into a road that led into the entrance of the GATEWAY Bridge! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I immediately pissed, then shit in my pants! I think I also had a heart attack....This road had no exit, or u turns i could do....it's one f ing way.....

I soon found myself facing and heading towards the freaking bridge....and it's an 80ks zone.....oh shit, Raid, what in the f are you doing? ......

But what was i supposed to do? I couldnt stop or turn around.....F it....gun it son....let's do 80ks as the cars are coming up my ass pretty fast.....

Hit 4th, quickly into fifth.....hit 80ks.....with a must have been WTF look on my face!.....So here i was....first time out in traffic during the day....and doing 80ks on a very busy bridge on a Saturday.....and i had no idea what the f i was going to do once i got to the other side....

Stay in the moment, i told myself, concentrate on what is happening right now....and deal with whatever once you get to the other side....but for now....get to the other side....that's your job....NOW....

Ok....i got to the top of the bridge, very scared, and excited at the same time, i actually had time to chuckle....you're a silly idiot Raid.....i started to relax....as i was heading down....

I scanned traffic behind me....and traffic up ahead...and started to plan what i was going to do once i get to the other side....

I decided, when in doubt, turn left! Good plan....until i saw that at the end of the bridge....the left exit i chose, required for me to do...a fairly steep (for me) hill start!

I started to freak out again....looked at ALL the cars behind me, that seemed to all decide to follow me.....BACK off you inconsiderate cagers! By this time, i was well and truly a mess....

Here it comes, change gears, it's green......i might be able to make it....NOT! The god of Motorcycling has decided to really test me today and made the light turn red....and a million cars are now behind me.....i am fcked...

Anways....I was behind two cars....and the car behind me, seemed like he wanted a closer look of my butt...he was pretty close....

Thank christ the light took forever to turn green....as this gave me plenty of time to tap tap away at the gears to make sure i was on first.....i think the couple in the car next to me might have thought " this is one angry biker, he keeps kicking the bike".....they were'nt so far in being right...

I also took the time to find friction point....which really helped me....green lights....the moment of truth.....here we go.....rev, clutch slightly out, felt the bike move, brakes out, more revs, clutch out slowly.....and off i went! Yeeehaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You cannot imagine my relief!

In my excitement, i kept going.....and was soon heading towards Brisbane Port Authority.....most of the roads....are 80ks zone! Oh Raid, why can't you just make it easy?...why do you have to do this to yourself?....

No exits....just long ass roads that stretched forever....and i had to go match the speed limit as there were cars behind....and these roads were one lane roads...with no overtaking.....

Fck it....you're in the shit now....might as well roll in it....let's do 80ks once again! Yippy, Raid you're so smart...

I was in a state of Major Shit in the Pants......for a few minutes.....and then i noticed that when i gunned it and hit 5th to get to 80ks.....i left the inconsiderate cagers behind! Where the f are they? ...I was gooooone....see you assholes....

This was when a very big shit eating grin materialised out of nowhere.....i suddenly realised i was out in the open road, with no buttfks behind me.....just me and Bam Bam (that's what i christened my bike)......

I let out a howl "Whowwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeee".....I was riding and screaming at the top of my lungs.....thank **** i was alone....

I kept going.....the roads were suddenly great......with long open stretches, and nice curves....

First major curve coming up to the right.....looked at the Apex, steered towards it....realised i got target fixated....immediately took my eyes off it....and as soon as i was about to enter it...my eyes immediately look ahead....**** yeah.....you're da man motherfker!

Don't get me wrong ....the adrenalin was still there....my heart thumping...but i think it was more excitement, oh ok, there was still a bit of fear in there....

I got towards the end of the Port Authority, i spotted a nice park, barbecue area up ahead on the left....decided this was where i was going to regroup and debrief myself....and maybe cry...

I was very relived getting into the carpark.....it's a nice little area, next to the water, with birds and shit.....took a good thirty minutes to think about what i just did.....just to compose myself, you know? I mean, this was a freaking monumental shit that i jsut did....high speed, hight traffic, the other side of town, the longest i ever travelled......i had very bad thoughts going into that bridge....

Time to go back home....let's keep it simple and head back the same way.....out of the carpark.....about to go, and a hoon screeched around the corner just as i was about to enter the road, which required a right turn.....braked hard, front and back.....i wasnt going fast, still on first gear, so the bike immediately stopped, and wanted to drop to the left side.....did not drop it, ......immediately put my left food down....and pretty much just hung onto it with my arms,....felt a slight tug....but im pretty strong( i work out a lot and wrestle dickheads for a living) so i managed to keep Bam Bam upright.....

Apart from that, the trip home was a pleasure.....this time, i enjoyed it....even when i had to turn right into the bridge....not a bother......turned right....facing the bridge......gunned it to speed upto 80ks....on my way home......of course....at the top of the bridge.....let out another almighty howl at the top of my lungs....fist pumping even.....god only knows what the cars around me thought......but i did not give a shit.....

When i finally joined the usual saturday traffic on Kingsford Smith Drive....i was very calm, strangely, i thought,......finally im in my street....four wheel drive cut right infront of me to get into a car space....but i had plenty of time, slowed than, and as he parked, rather than stopping, i slightly swerved around him to the right and swerved back in, just as another four wheel drive was heading towards me.....it was like a zig zag.....and straight into my car park entrance immediately after.....this time, it was easy, no dragging foot....rode all the way down straight into my parking spot......

Turned off engine......sat there for a while.....once again, just overwhelmed, and happy at the same time.....very relived and not quite believing i did just that......Raid, the plan was to do 80ks in about a month or so....not today!

Till next time.....ride safe everyone....

• Like Like x 1
  13. ^^ Reading this made my day!
    Good onya Raid!
    Was there anything you think you could have done different or better when out in the 80 zone?

14. LMFAO... must say thats the first of your blog i read in that last post Raid.
    I mean this totally endearingly, but you sound like a fucked up nutcase lmao. Keep it up.
    I remember enjoying my first ride, but im pretty sure i left the ganja at home too :p. My first road higher than 60kph road was actually a 110kph... so i went for it lol. Far easier to ride at speed than it is to ride slow i quickly discovered ;).

Good to hear you are enjoying it, keep the wits about you, relax that asshole a little as i can just picture you sucking yourself down onto the seat like a big suction cup as a nervous shaking wreck, and have some confidence in yourself. We are always learning, but after a year we all look back at that first learning curve that was so hard at the time going huh... wasnt so hard after all!
    :D.

15. Haha! Fantastic read, Raid. Sounds like you're cruising along just fine. :D

16. Welcome to motorcycling where the best route is the longest way there and the longest way back!

17. Great read mate, had a little chuckle as I remember each moment from my own recent (still) learning experience ;)

18. thats was a really nice read and i don't like reading! keep up the blogs mate! soon you will be riding like a pro!

19. I don't honeslty know as far as doing anything different.....but i know that i could have done better.....but being a noob....i can only analyse from that perspective.....an experienced rider for sure would be able to tell me what i could have done better......in riding, i am always thinking i can do better...that is my attitude to it....to always find a way to get better...

When i was in that position....after realising that shitting my pants and concentrating on it would not change my situation...i just focused on the things i knew.....I don't know much....so i just focused on what i knew....

1) I knew how to change gears and get the bike upto speed....so i was confident in that....

2) I am an experienced cager.....so my traffic awareness never left me....

3) I know a little bit about road positioning, so i did the best i could to position myself from what i have learnt....

4) I know very basic cornering....from reading Ravens Basics, q ride training, and BBM's (my mentor)...

5) I applied point number 2) with my new knowledge of riding awareness...so i now have that knowledge....just basic shit like when the light turns green, rather than just taking off right away (like most cagers)....I look scan right/left before taking off.....

I made it home, unscathed, and in some instances, in very heavy traffic....with no incidents...

So while my skills are very basic....i know that i have enough there for me to work with and ride competently and safely.....as long as i focus on what i know...i will be fine....

I know that with bike control and roadcraft.....i can ride....and for as long as i practice diligently and sensibly....i can get better.....

20. +1...

But i don't know about that route i took after you left the other day! What an experience....im still thinking about it...