Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Steve greenhalgh, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hi to all,
    I just joined up and am interested in keeping up with what's happening in the way of new laws proposed by governments within Australia on bike riders. Most of my riding to date has always been done off road, still on register bikes to access forestries, and now after a big off have turned my attentions to casual road riding. I'm still nursing 6 broken ribs, a punctured lung and a smashed shoulder blade after an "off" on my husaberg. All injuries occurred following an encounter with a stump hole and with no one else involved , but at 53 I've decided that I don't bounce so well anymore and am shelving the berg. I still need my fix of riding, life without riding a bike is something I can't imagine, so casual road riding is my new out let.
    After reading road bike magazines during my hospital and recovery time, I can see the powers that be are trying to crack down on road bike riders.
    That is what brings me hear, so I will be reading the forums to keep up to date with proposed laws and how I can voice my opinions.

2. Hello and welcome, there is often discussion of such matters here so you should find it useful. Bugger about your stack on the dirt bike, hope you fix up quick and find a nice road bike to keep you entertained.
  3. Welcome to NR. Hope you recover soon and get back on the saddle. (y)
  4. Hi guys ,
    Thanks for the "get well soon " thoughts. It doesn't matter how many times you have high sided it still hurts like hell ! I've never felt pain like multiple breaks of the ribs...... But enough about the negative side of bikes, back to the positive!
    I have owned a few roadies over the years ,but not for awhile, so I will be asking for a few thoughts on some bikes I have in mind for my next ride. I'm after a sports /tourer that has a comfortable riding position, 750 plus cc but not after a fire breathing monster either.
    I have been looking at the hondaVFR 800, but the latest models are 2010 (new) which I think is pretty shabby offering a new bike but 2 years old! That aside tho it seems like a nice bike. The other that has taken my eye is an Aprillia shiverGT750 ABS, a v twin sports tourer.
    Having little experience with roadies and all my mates are dirt riders with no real opinion of roadies, I'm hoping someone out there can help with an insight to these bikes or know of another I have over looked that may also be a contender. I have found the bike shops as usual to be of little help, most of my inquiries are made via email as I'm not to mobile just yet, but they don't reply, treat you like a tyre kicker etc. So any insight or if you know of any bike shops that are more helpful than the average, I would appreciate your feed back.
    Thanks guys.
  5. Why do i always read "Lazy Librarian" instead of Libran....

Anyway.. welcome to NR - sorry to read about your stack, but it's good to see it hasn't dampened your enthusiasm for riding (y)
  6. Welcome bloke
    Going those injuries your half purple as well
    As the green )