Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie with some decisions to make!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Ant_01, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I have come across your good forum and decided to sign up.

I owned a couple of trail bikes in my later teens and a decade has passed in which I wish to relive all the great days I had hitting up various trails (Menai/Lucas heights/ Heathcote areas) however this time legally :]

Just completed my pre learners cert and will sit my Ls computer test next week.

I have detemrined that I want to buy an Enduro bike as I can have the best of both worlds (road/trail) but need to do a lot of research on which bike (def a 250).

Have always had a soft spot for Yamaha's as some mates used to own YZs, but back in the day I owned & rebuilt a KTM 125sx for my HSC project and regard KTM highly. Another mates RM250 always went hard too.

Now......... I am leaning towards a 2015 WR250R due to reliability & long service intervals. I gather they are a bit on the heavy side but would love to hear from you guys with diff opinions and info.

Cheers!
    Ant_01

• Like Like x 1
  2.  Top
  3.  Top
  4. G'day and welcome to NR, Ant_01.

Just the other day I had a glowing recommendation of the WR250R by a rider who bought one for himself to use on local trails and around the town he lives in. His girlfriend wanted to ride too and now they've both got them - both for the ride-ability and long service intervals you've mentioned.

5. XJ6N cheers , a lot of great info on NR.... Thanks for that, by the sounds of it that rider who purchased a 2nd bike for the girlfriend says a lot. Im very keen to test ride one and no doubt my decision will be a lot clearer at that point. Another option im keeping close is also a WR450R.....

6. Definitely ride a wr450 before u buy a 250. I found the 450 a much better bike. I only ride trails. The more power it has means u don't have to rev it like a 250. Less gear changes. I'm not super fast rider but u can just use the low down torque of the 450 and have fun. Will never go back to the 250

7. Yeah fair point but still I dont believe a WR450F will suit the riding im after. According to Yamaha, valves to be done every 10-156 hrs, same oil intervals , regular oil changes.

I'd like to do a few Gong>SYD runs or at least have the ability to & believe the Wr250R is the only capable..

8. Welcome to NR Ant_01. A few enduro riders lurking on here...looking forward to some dirty pics!