Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

newbie - vtwins are safer to ride than inline 4s?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by livingstonest, Aug 3, 2005.

1. i was just wondering if vtwins are safer to ride than inline 4s?

from what i understand, vtwins have more torque and thus greater engine braking? if this is true then would that engine braking reduce the chances of you comng in hot on a turn and running wide?

i got a cb250 and find that if i'm in a turn and running wide(due to poor turning skills), i just lay off the throttle and the engine braking slows me down to a point where i can take the turn comfortably. i always try to set up my speed before the turn but sometimes i misjudge and the engine braking saves me. i just want to know if this is the same or different if say i was on a cbr250 or zzr 250?

any comments? by the way anyone here own an aprilia tuono? looks awesome!
  2. A bit simplistic, although your basic premise is correct.

However, all four strokes have engine braking, and the amount would not vary that much between in-lines and v-twins to make a difference to safety (imho).

They certainly feel different and an inline feels smoother so the engine braking isn't as noticeable, but it's still there.

Just chuck your inline back another couple of gears and jam on the brakes, you'll be right!!!

3. Given safety is entirely subjective, you can't say that a twin will be safer than a four stroke.

If you're coming hot into the corner, you probably shouldn't be rolling off the throttle for a big engine brake anyway, that can easily go just as pear shaped (or more!) as a bad braking manouver given the effect on rear wheel traction.

Honestly, if there is an impression out there that one is safer than the other, it's a complete fallacy.
  4. Not necessarily safer, just different. V-twins are also more notorious for compression lock where your rear wheel locks up when you downshift too quick without revving the engine. Engine braking does save you on brake pads though :D
  5. DO NOT go there son, just DON'T!!!
  6. You can crash just as easily on a twin, four, single or triple. No, they are not safer or more dangerous.
  7. *insert sarcasm* Good advise for a learner....(I'm sure you were joking). That would on the other hand be the best way to achieve a compression lock up!!

No thats just you :p

I agree entirely
  8. from the point of view from another learner i think that there is little difference in saftey between them. My fzr250(4cyl fourstroke) is very revy and very picky about its revs two. so coming into a corner you really need to be in the *right* gear before hand if you want to come out of it smoothly. This i find othen means dropping a couple of cogs down before a bend and a bit of front brake before the turn.

I can only imagine that the vtwins 250s and single bangers would be less fussy about revs and would have enough torque to compensate for a incorrect gear and thus there would be less need to drop down a few before a corner.

(feel free to input and correct me as im open to corrections).
  9. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think you just summed it up perfectly.
  10. You can say that again!!!!!

I'm becoming a bit of an expert in "putting the back out"
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. ok i'm gonna pop in here for my first post after a month or two of lurking and offer my 2 cents worth. i ride an fzr250 4 cylinder buzzer and i honestly couldn't imagine a bike with more engine braking. Seriously, brakes are just an option (ok going a bit far there), rolling off the throttle mid corner has got me out of plenty a pickle, although not enough to save me down the great ocean road one dark day.
    Kind of scares me that this level of engine braking won't be on offer when it comes to upgrade time :shock:
  12. Man, are you ever gonna have the doors of your perception flung open...

Oh, and, rolling off the throttle midcorner... stop it.
  13. hey welcome FZRSpock........i know exactly what you mean when you say:

for a learner its been real good having this engine braking.....so are you saying there is less engine braking in the bigger bikes??
  14. pppffffttt :shock:

Just go the slipper clutch :shock: :D :LOL: :wink:

Cheers 8)
  15. :shock: surely engine braking has a lot more to do with what gear you enter said circumstance than the number of cylinders?

the zzr250 backs off a fair bit i find, and i agree with others it can be useful.
  16. Engine braking is essentially related to engine speed and torque - the more engine speed and torque, the more engine braking. Twins, particular injected ones, usually have a higher compression which is the reason they can be a bit more aggressive when throttling back. Slipper clutches on bikes and torque converters on cars can reduce this effect. Flywheel wieghts also affect engine braking. You'll find heaps of bikes that have good compression braking out there, and most of them won't be 250's :)
  17. Small point but rolling off the throttle mid corner is generally not the best of ideas.. I know it's REALLY hard to resist the urge to do it (I still do sometimes) but if you read any books about the physics/mechanics of bike riding rolling 'completely' off the throttle tends to destabilises the bike (even if it does wash off speed)..

In general (unless you've got your bike at 100% on the road which is really stupid given the uncertainties of public roads) the bike will probably lean lower than you have it leant over - so that's sometimes an option too although it requires more on the balls front :LOL:

As a side note - see if you can get a copy of a book called "proficient motorcycling" as it has some great detail in it on the physics involved..

As for engine braking in bigger bikes, if anything there is more rather than less IMO..

18. yes i spose i'm saying bigger bikes have less engine braking, but i can't really back that up with any facts. just a hunch.
    rolling off throttle mid corner - yep its a bad habit, but better than sling-shotting yourself into the scrub when you're a learner and don't know the roads that well. I'll try and cut back IK, and open up those 'doors of perception' a bit. :D

Put simply i suppose engines are for accelerating, brakes are for stopping, so i guess don't rely on your engine as a brake as i have a lil too often.

EDIT (didnt see your post dan or zx12r before i put that in)
  19. Ah - I wondered why I kept doing that! IN the car tend to drive into corners by down-gearing as oposed to braking unneccessarily - so thought one does on a bike too?
  20. The fact the twins back off quicker (including the parallel twins, like mine) is good going into a corner, but mid-corner can be potentially hazardous. So it's a bit of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I wouldn't generalise and say one is safer than the other, because it would depend on each individual situation. :)