Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie to Melbourne and Bikes! Update: VTR250 ques!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by aero_nz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

My name is Travis (aeRo) Ive just moved to melbourne from NZ, Im 23 and can finally afford to fulfill the life time dream of having a bike (that and im far enough away from Mum for her not to kill me! haha).

First off can I just say what a great resource this website and forum is so much useful information! Ive done some searching and read some posts, but still have the following questions;

Gear - Where is the best place to buy, Ive been down elizabeth street and was impressed with the range of stores there, but is their anywhere else I should try?

Also with gear I would like to get a good leather jacket, but the $1000 price tags are a bit scary, is there a good bargain store around? I don't want to sacrifice quality, but I don't mind if its last season etc etc.

Bikes - Ive fallen for the VTR250 i just love the look of that bike! One day I'd love to have a street triple so you can see the attraction, anyway where would be my best bet of picking up one in good nick second hand? Being new to aussie I'd prefer to go through a dealer just for that piece of mind, also what do you reckon about $7200 for a new one, is that a good price? (its a bit out of my range but Im in my first real job, earning real money, why not!??!!!)

Thanks in advance :)

Update: I have now got the L's and am picking up my vtr250 next weekend, got an 07 Red with 10k k's on it, with one year left on honda warranty, and a full year rego, its stock standard, and I have a few ques!

1. Oggy knobs? Where do you get them from (melbourne) what are the worth? Are they required on VTR (no fairings)
    2. Bike Mart Ringwood is it the best place to get gear? I picked up a helmet gloves and jacket at peter stevens in town (for convenience) but when I have wheels Id rather go somewhere else, need boots and pants
    3. Bags/racks for vtr any tips pointers? Id like to put some storage on the bike (just enough for a change of clothes, or the old camera) where again is the best place to look for this stuff.

Thanks
    Trav

2. Gday Travis :)

Welcome to Australia & Netrider

3. Welcome in, mate.

4. welcome mate.
    I've recently just got my bike and gear.... i went to bike mart at ringwood... they were pretty good on price and did me a good deal (which most bike shops should be able to do for you ;) )
    also 1300 kawasaki at ferntree gully (yes might be a little far depending on where you are) are having a big sale to clear all their stock.... was out there today getting my bike serviced and will be going back with some cash soon to get me some bargains! have some good deals out there from what i saw.... just some food for thought ;)

5. welcome to Au and netrider aero :)

since you are gonna take up motorbiking for the first time, I would prefer you invest on a second hand (used) motorbike for starters.
    reasons for it :

1. it is gonna be way cheaper.
    2. everyone (xceptions ruled out), drops their bike at some point of time. thats the learning process. dropping an old bike wud have lesser after effects in your heart, mind and pocket, in comparison to dropping a brand new bike.
    3. get an used bike, harness your motorbiking skills, and go for a new street tripple.
    4. if u save up on the bike, you have more money to spend on valuable things which will save your life....
    a> good gear.... a good helm...a jacket...draggin pants...gloves...some gaurds maybe... that should cost you anywhere between $1000~$2000
    b> u can invest on HART training courses which will improve your skills...which u will carry with you for the rest of your life
    c> after you buy a bike, u might think of getting a comprehensive insurance done for it. so that would cost u some money too.

as for getting gears, i got mine from Brighton Bikes and Bits, gave me a really good deal and gave me very good gears.
    http://www.brightonbikesandbits.com.au/

hope that helps

6. +1 for Bike Mart at Ringwood.

I went in as a total newbie and they were very helpful... let me try out virtually every helmet in the place and never pressured me into any decisions.

The VTR250 is a great first bike, but you'll grow out of it so why take the depreciation hit on a bike you'll sell in a year or so? If it's peace of mind you want, look at some second hand bikes and get a professional (or at least someone with plenty of experience) to look over the tastiest prospects for you.

Welcome to Oz and Netrider!

7. Kiora
    Welcome to NR and welcome to NZ's west island :LOL:

Have a poke around eBay for gear.

You'll need a thuck skun from time to time but ut's all en guud fun eh?

8. Thanks guys, just found the tuesday learner thread, will definitely be attending that once i get a bike and license etc.. if i ever do argh its so confusing to know what bike to get, great advice on getting a second hand bike, im quite content with the fact that I will probably drop it in a carpark, or fall off at some stage, would hate to scratch a brand new bike! What about this lams business, in NZ its 250cc or less nice and simple haha

I like the look of the Suzuki gs500 but hard to find a second hand one? Whats this like to ride in comparison to the vtwin vtr, wouldnt a vtwin be easier to learn on? Also I like the idea of a light easy to handle bike to begin with...

Cheers

9. Hi everyone,

Been for the first 2 days of the learner course, Im really enjoying it, and want to pick up a bike asap afterwards.

Anyone had any dealings with Spot-on bikes on elizabeth st? they have a few vtr250's there at the moment, or A1 bikes in brighton? they have a nice looking red bike there.

If I was to purchase through a private seller, whats the best way of test riding the bike, is there someone who test rides the bikes for you? I just think ill be so busy concentrating on riding, to read much into the bike.

Cheers

10. usually if you ask nicely you can probably get a nice experienced NR member to accompany you to look at a bike your keen on.
    Best bet is to probably get your pick of bikes down to one or two so that you arent dragging them around all day.
    Being experienced they could take it for a ride for you and pick up on things you might not, and might have a good opinion of whether mechanically it is sound. Also having someone there stops you buying the first thing you see cos your excited;)
    Otherwise you can get a wualified person to look over it for you. Do a search.... should find something on who to use if going that route;)

11. Welcome to Aussieland and have fun riding =D

12. Thanks everyone, I think a guy from my work might help me out testing the bikes.

Ive been offered a 2000 Suzuki 250 Bandit for $4500 which seems a reasonable price it has low k's around 15k and is mint condition, plus its someone I know through someone I trust so I know it won't have any major issues, is that an ok price for a bandit?

I had my heart set on a vtr250 but this seems like a reasonable deal, what differences will i feel between the 4 cylinder bandit, and vtwin vtr?

Thanks
    Travis

13. Hey Travis, welcome aboard mate!

Your going about it the right way. Asking heaps of questions, doing heaps of reading etc. Dont rush in to any decisions. There are loads of bikes in Melbourne, Dealer and Private, so if it takes a bit of stuffing around and time to get it right, so be it...

Ok, so I bought my bike at 'Spot On' (98 GPX250).. Customer Service wise, they were ok. The young bloke David who I dealt with was a good bloke. Didnt set the world on fire but wasnt a rude ass either.. Just did his job. THe others in the shop were ok, but i did feel a little bit of Noob Judgement perhaps (ok, so I was asking a million and 1 questions over about 4 visits, but with 4 grand in my pocket its my right!.. A few of the blokes were a bit over me by the end, and I did crunch them heaps on price too so they were sorted happy to get me out of their hair)..

So, my bike is good/solid.. stock standard condition for a bike with 45k on it for what I paid for it, however, what they did do was give me all the gear and cost price to stop me buying somewhere else.. and they pretty much admitted that to me. I had my limit to spend for the whole box and dice, they had what they wanted to get into the till and we worked it out.. The only thing is they dont have pants, so you would need to allow extra for leather or draggins. Depending on what you what, I could throw some ideas your way too.

cheers, Greg

I work near Elizabeth Street so if you want to go see them and ask questions I can come along to give you some credibility in the store. They dont need to know we would have only just met 5 minutes before hand etc...

PM me if your interested.

14. Welcome Aboard Travis !
    :biker:
    As you can see, we have many here that are more than willing to help a new rider & NR member.
    The VTR is a great bike !

15. Hi Travis - welcome to Australia. :) What part of NZ are you from? I'm from Taupo (moved to Aust. when I was 6).

The VTR250 is a great bike - best learner bike out there IMO. Totally recommend you get one - esp. cos you've got your heart set on it.

Here's one for sale at A1 Brighton - $4500:

[​IMG]

http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/sear...4&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=64

Definitely worth a look! Low kms too. :)

All the best with it. :)

16. That one has sprung a leak Rosie :LOL:

17. Update: I have now got the L's and am picking up my vtr250 next weekend, got an 07 Red with 10k k's on it, with one year left on honda warranty, and a full year rego, its stock standard, and I have a few ques!

1. Oggy knobs? Where do you get them from (melbourne) what are the worth? Are they required on VTR (no fairings)
    2. Bike Mart Ringwood is it the best place to get gear? I picked up a helmet gloves and jacket at peter stevens in town (for convenience) but when I have wheels Id rather go somewhere else, need boots and pants
    3. Bags/racks for vtr any tips pointers? Id like to put some storage on the bike (just enough for a change of clothes, or the old camera) where again is the best place to look for this stuff.

Thanks
    Trav

18. Welcome.
    Great choice of bike, heaps of fun, easily thrown around and very forgiving of the inevitable whoopses and brain fades.

like you I needed help in selection and found the MadBiker- Brett Harrington, paid him a few hundred, but I have a great bike at a great price. When I resell, I won't loose a cent. Mine already had oggys, a saddle bag and a Madaz pipe (my poor VTR thinks it's a Duke). I've now added a Ventura pack rack.

I got my gear at Black Rose in Port Melbourne and also at XDC in Hoppers Crossing, some leathers, kevlars and also a dririder jacket.

I'm happy as a pig in ****

Enjoy

Daz

19. Welcome to Netrider :grin:
    The VTR250 is an awesome bike, so you made a great choice.
    1. Oggy Knobs - Yes they are worth it, in the event of a slide they are likely to minimise damage to other parts of your bike.
    3. Bags/Racks - I have an Aldi tankbag that works nicely, it was only $50 and have used it everyday for the last couple of months. Highly recommend it if you can find one. Ventura also a popular brand for bags and racks.

I can't answer your other questions as I don't live down there :LOL:

Have fun and ride safe.