Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

newbie! shadow ta200

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by tashadow, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Found the forum searchin for some info! looks great!

Anwyas I ride a Honda Shadow ( phantom in thailand) ta 200.
    I love this bike and bought it over a kawasaki eliminator (el250 i think) based on condition and price. in hindsite i believe the el250 is the same motor setup as the zzr 250. vrmm vrrmm

Anyways after owning my shadow for over a year and ready to trade it in I discovered there are restrictors placed in the end of the exhaust.
    they are caps with the tiniest of holes to push through.
    Remove these and she has heaps of pickup, cruises at 100-110 easy tops at 130kph after a wind up. :mad:
    It also now sounds how it looks! so dont do it if you like the quiet sound.

I also read another thread about brakes. the ta200 has a rear disc on its solid wheel and twin spot front caliper.

so my newly derestricted ta200 may get to hang round for a bit longer.
    Thought Id share this info for any others looking to buy these bikes or anyone that has one!
  2. hey mate!

I got one of these bikes...was wondering if you could let me know how you got the caps out?

Sorry, i'm a bit of a noob!

3. Caps in your exhaust? Couple of options. You can dremel them out, hack the end of the 'zorst off and take the restrictor with it, or possibly find how it is attached and do something to it that way. Last option a bit useless if its pressure fitted or spot welded.

Personally, and without having seen the actual setup, I'd go the dremel...or at least a similar style grinding attachment used with a power drill.

Cheers - boingk
  4. The Virago got these?
  5. You should be able to see fairly easily, personally I have no idea. It'll be something in the end of the exhaust, or fairly close to the exit, that restricts it down to less than the diameter of the actual muffler exit.

The idea is to limit the bikes acceleration/top speed/power and limit revs, thus make "safer", "more reliable". One consequence of fitting a performance exhaust or removing any restriction from the original exhaust is that you will now have more airflow and thus the engine will run leaner.

TUNE YOUR CARB(S) AFTER ANY EXHAUST MOD. No "buts", just do it or you may burn out your piston or something nasty, k?

Additionally, you may find it now has flat spots compared to stock. Its up to you what you want to do, and if you keep it that way.

Cheers - boingk