Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

newbie questions about bike prices

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Snowman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Hi, Im new around here, I joined this site a while ago with a view to getting my bike license but i kept putting it off etc, then there was a bad bike crash right out the front of my house in which (i think) the rider died, his girlfriend was seriously injured and the car they clipped veered through my fence and came to rest in my front yard. SO, again i was a LITTLE put off about things with 2 wheels, but now im ready to take the plunge again and was just wondering what bikes i should be looking at, but mostly what i wanted to know is, are the bikes listed on bikesales,com.au and bikepoint,com.au worth what the owners are asking for them?

a silver and black 1999 KAWASAKI ZZ-R250, with 55,000ks, for $4999, from a dealer in sydney.

a silver and black 2000 KAWASAKI ZZ-R250, 38,000ks, for $4000
    a private sale with the reason for selling "Reluctant sell (girlfriend or bike)" :p

do these seem like reasonable prices? or will i have some haggling to do lol

anyway id appreciate any help with my questions and hope to be hanging around here more often :)
  2. Hey there.

First - accidents can happen to any road user.

Second - I would strongly suggest you be a confident experienced road user before riding a bike. Some will disagree but in my view having a car license for several years means valuable experience about rules and watching other driver behavior that you get while having a cage around you.

Third - see this link for bikesales.com - it will give you a rough valuation to the bike you want. Bear in mind you should allow for wear and tear / inclusions / rego etc www.bikesales.com.au/tools/valuation.do There is always haggling to be done.

Good luck with the decision.
  3. on your first point, I think the guy on the bike was speeding doing about 120 in a 60 zone on a two lane road, and a 4wd turning left onto the road saw him coming but mis-judged his speed and pulled out into the right hand lane and the rest is history. so the lesson i learnt that day was dont be silly especially without a cage to protect you.

second point: ive been driving almost daily for about 3 years now i can get my blacks in dec/jan, but ive only had limited exp with manuals, would you recomend learning a manual car before attempting to ride a manual bike?

third: thanks! ill check that thing out.
  4. My mechanic told me that ZZR's tend to have engines that die round about the 80,000km mark. Bear that in mind when looking at high mileage bikes.

My ZZR (2000 model) had 11,000 on the clock and was advertised for $4k - I ended up getting it for $3.5K which was a bargain (reckon it was probably worth $5k!).

If you keep looking you will find decent deals out there - look for private sales and not dealerships and when you find a bike worth looking at move quickly - go to see it the morning the ad appears and have a big wad of cash ready in your pocket to seal the deal before anyone else gets there.

Buying any second hand vehicle is a bit of a crap-shoot, you can reduce the risk buy getting a bike checked by a mechanic - but then you're spending money on something other than your bike. I ran the risk and bought mine with no inspection other than my clueless poking around and gave money to a mechanic afterwards to get it fully serviced - and I got lucky!

Have a good long chat with the previous rider see if their attitude seems ok - Do you think they look like the type to thrash the bike to death? Look at the bodywork carefully, scratches from a drop are probably ok (bring the price down without doing any structural damage), but any crash marks (long horizontal scratches) would require a more serious look and all kinds of things could be twisted and weakened.

Good luck anyway - the ZZR is a great bike to learn on (I'm having a fantastic time) and seems reasonably forgiving of silly mistakes. Get yourself a bike and practice like mad... do it safely and carefully on empty roads and car parks and find other riders to help give you pointers (preferably responsible sensible ones who wont push you too hard too fast too soon!)

Have fun! :grin:
  5. ok. what is considered a high mileage bike? i would have thought 40,000ks or less was pretty good.

If I could get the whole deal (bike, gear and other costs like getting license etc) for $4500 i would be one happy camper lol
  6. Snowman, yep in my opinion 12-24 months driving a manual car will give you excellent knowledge you can apply to riding a bike.

Clutch / accelerator use, planning which gear as you approach obstacles. Using your brain to do a few things at once.

The biggest thing you need to understand is that riding is your decision. You are responsible for the consequences. Ask yourself if you are ready to ride a bike yet?
  7. Good point Jimmy.. however it may work the opposite.
    Perhaps riding will make you a better, more defensive & alert road user.
    I'd been driving over 28 years before jumping on two-wheels. It was only after riding that I realised just how poorly observant a driver I was.

Food for thought
  8. eBay is probably worth looking at too, because bikesales can be a little bit insulated from real world prices at times.
  9. I was driving manual cars for 18years before getting a bike , but found i had to learn to ride much different to a manual car, you dont ride the clutch of a car even at low speeds, but i still let out the bikes clutch too fast, and a manual car i got used to the smooth syncro gear box, a bike doesnt have and it uses dogs to latch on, so you have to change gears with revs up and as quick as possible , and bikes give faulse neutrals too, which is a neutral stuck between gears if they dont engage.

so in other words, you dont need to know a car manual, but the experiance of knowing what the other tools (drivers) around you are doing or going to do is valuable.
  10. ah k, so its a pretty big learning curve anyway? i think i read somewhere that basic gear changing is covered in the pre-provisional test is that true?

and both my parents have bikes, so ive always been pretty curteous to and aware of riders.
  11. Just start off with a cheap bike, if you want new get a sachs 150 its easy to learn on only cost $1990 new and has a gear indicator on the dash which is useful to learners so you get a feel to what gear your in. its got no fairing so doesnt look that fast, but if you drop it it cant crack up like fairing bikes, alternative is the yamaha skorpio but cost more

if your looking for a fairing bike, the gpx250 is light and easy to ride too
  12. Obviously everyone will be different, but I didn't have my manual license when I first started learning a bike... I could drive a manual (with a bit of bunny hopping hehe) but I wasn't very smooth at it. 2 days of sporadic bike riding, and I could pretty much handle the gears without any problems. It's entirely possible that I've picked up bad habits or that my gear changes suck ass, since I have no one to offer an opinion or observe my riding style, but I'm still alive, I'm still getting around, and my engine hasn't died...

Interpret the above story how you wish.
  13. Mate, if you want a bike go ahead and buy one.

Riding makes you a better driver.
    Manual or auto in a cage doesn't matter bike boxes are very different and much easier.

Go for a well looked after low k ZZR250 and you will not have to spend more than $5000 including gear and 3rd party accident insurance.
    There are often good bikes for sale right here on NR.

Personally I'd buy private and have someone else check out the bike if you don't know much about them. Ask nicely and someone on NR will volunteer to go with you.
  14. ok thanks!

ive been looking at the zzr mainly because i like the look of it and im after a bike that id be happy to keep even when im not on restrictions anymore.

also the more i see at naked bikes the more i think they look pretty bad ass too, what are some goodies to learn on that are also cheapies? :p
  15. Here's my first real post. And my opinion :)

I was a terrible manual car driver but I picked up driving a manual bike pretty easily. I'm stoked! I have my L's :grin:

At my L's course, the main thing was balance. We had 1 chick who'd never ridden a bicycle before and she dropped her bike on the first exercise and that was it for her. I guess most of it take it for granted that we can ride a bicycle. And at those slow speeds you need really good balance!

Our instructors talked alot about knowing what other drivers are doing and being aware. As a car driver you might not check mirrors as much but I'll be checking heaps on a bike! It's just me and the road. Even being on a bicycle is a different feel (even though I've been faster on a bicycle than I did at the L's course!). I'm so glad I took the plunge and went for my bike license :wink: :grin:
  16. well, shit happens....and it stinks......
    so you learnt a lesson about not to turn into a dick like that biker who was doing double the speed limit...with a pillion behind him.
    Its your life...and u just have one, and if u have some1 elses life relying on your senses and judgement, be more careful and alert..

i have been motorbiking for some 10 years now, travelled all over India on my bikes, (indian highways, cud seriously be considered as the highways to hell), rode to Ladakh, at around 5700m height, twice, ( check links : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladakh and http://www.asiasafari.com/motorbike/ladakh_zanskar_bike_tour.html to know about ladakh) and, i still dont know how to drive a car :|

I had tried once or twice, but simply felt claustrophobic :| realized it aint my cup of tea.

So, maybe it does, for some people, but biking would never be relied on your driving skills.

I learnt how to ride a motorbike in 5hours...from 9pm to 2am, on a royal enfield.
    u need to get the basics straight first....
    1. the balance...
    2. letting go off the clutch and accelerating....
    3. controlling the accelerator
    4. controlling the bike
    5. breaking
    6. turning
    7. eventually taking u-turns without putting your feet on the ground.

developing a road sense comes up on how sensible and alert you are.
    so, its not a steep learning curve at all. Get the confidence and start on with it, thats all.

First couple of weeks, ride safe, and go at your own pace in the left/slow lane, dont get pepped up by the bikes which zoom past you, or the cars that blare out their horns behind you. Maintain your calm...

Now about buying a bike...

I bought a '96 ninja 6r this friday for $2700 from a private seller off bikesales.
    So yep, I would agree with the rest of the guys here, you should prefer on a private seller.
    I had Loz, (one of the mods in here) to help me out with my purchase. So it would be best if you find someone who knows about motorbikes, to help you out.
    If you are starting off on motorbiking, a 125cc or a 250cc should be perfect for you. If you are buying a second hand bike, and if its kind of old, make sure you still get parts for your bike easilly available in the market and, cheap. Well, cheaper, the better.
    Worry about how good the bike is mechanically, and dont fall prey for the looks right away. If you have a bike which is mechanically sound, you would save up a lot of money eventually and will harness your motorbiking skills quickly, and use that money on getting HART courses.

Try a lot of bikes, test ride them, and then decide on what suits perfect for you.
    As for gears, I had a tight budget on gears too, and got myself a HJC lid, a SPYKE jacket, a pair of winter gloves and a nitro lid for my wife for $700.

Be confident, and be sensible. if these two things develop inside you, you would be a safe biker in no time.

all the best,
    Hope to see you in the road soon :)
  17. One thing I say to alot of people who are not sure about getting into riding, is to go and do a course, one where the can provide a jacket and helmet to use, see if you actually like it.

Once that is done, figure out your maximum budget for getting into riding, then see what gear you can get for your self, and spend the leftover money on a bike.

I myself have $2000 worth of gear, and I have only just started riding. quick breakdown for me was:

Helmet: $500
    Jacket : $350
    Jeans : $150
    Spine protector:$120
    Gloves :$120
    Boots :$400

All up for my lessons and licencing, I spent about $450 getting the licence itself.

Hope you make the right decision for you, and that you ride for the right reasons and always in the right frame of mind.

Good luck.