Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie question re gripping with knees

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dave_the_waterlogged, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Hi All,

(I'll do a proper intro in the newbie section post Learners permit course this weekend)

I was at the bike expo tonight trying a few bikes on for size, and one the seems to fit quite well was the Suzuki DRZ-400 SM. But, I noticed that unlike a couple of other bikes I tried (similarly upright seated bikes), it appeared to be very hard with the narrow fuel tank to grip with the knees.

Is there something I'm missing here? Actually, I'm sure theres something I'm missing, I just havent been able to work out what it is... :)

2. that's nothing, try doing it on a scooter, even harder
  3. narrow tanks are easier to grip with the knees, especially on dirt bikes. the drz is pretty fat compared with other bikes in that market.

its heaps easier to grip as the tank is plastic (i think) and you can just force it to bend and its easy as.
  4. It's about what the bike is intended or designed for. The DR is based on a trail bike. Something you let have it's head. And more so grip with the outside knee not both. That's not saying you cant though. but on dirty you should be well forward on your seat. And you will find its more your inner thighs that grips. A lot of the shrouds on dirties will hurt your knees because of the vent holes in them if you grip the knee's.
    That and it's 17 - 22 liters of petrol in that tank compared to 7.5 - 9l.
  5. Excellent.. thanks all.

That, plus the course this weekend made it all a lot clearer...

Thank you