Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie NSW

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Alli, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Hi All,

Got my L's 4 weeks ago, purchased a CB125 to learn on, its light and I'm short:) been building up confidence riding around town just started riding to work 25 kms each way, totally enjoying it, been far too long on the back of a bike, been reading some forums getting some handy advise, at the moment roundabouts are doing my head in!!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome AlliAlli good on you for commuting too.
    Lovely area up there. At the moment it is likely I'll be in Port in August for 6 months...we can go do the Oxley! ;)
    Roundabouts can take a while to master...a lot can be happening at once and that's just you getting up to it!
    You may be able to find a quiet housing development with roundabouts and practice perhaps? The secret (I think) is after doing your headchecks, is to always making sure your head is pointing where you want to go with your bike...sounds mental but it works. Remember too that the lane you are in is yours...own it, espesh if in a roundabout.
    Also you can actually see quite a decent zone in front of you before you need to swivel your head like a carnival clown.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Welcome to NR...

As above...look where you want to go. The bike follows.. And keep the legs squeezed around the tank. But not the Hands on the handles ..They should be light. :)

Find some empty streets or a factory area and keep practising ...

Read up on some more tips from here on NR..and practice some more.

All the best...

And love the pic...;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Welcome to NR, AlliAlli. Your 25km commute is a pretty good way to build up experience quickly.

Roundabouts are challenging for a number of reasons but the advice above is sound. Sort out your line, stabilise your lower half, relax your upper half and point your chin where you want to go.
  5. as a new rider best advise i can give is always expect everybody to pull out on you and make sure they can see you
  6. Welcome. Roundabouts, go round in a clockwise direction, you can't go wrong. Myself and several others will be up in Port Mac the weekend of the 19th. Join us for a lap of the Oxley if you like.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. G'day and welcome, AlliAlli. Congratulations for getting your Ls and motorcycle!

OldmaidOldmaid's advice about turning your head to the direction you want the motorcycle to go around a roundabout is something I had to tell myself a few times when I started road riding only late last year and as Oldmaid said, it just works.
  8. Welcome to NR - definitely some fabulous roads in your area - enjoy :happy:
  9. Howdy and welcome to NR AlliAlli . I started on a CB125E (I'm short too) and there's nothing like it as a shorty learner bike. I still take it out for a burl every now and then as I can't bring myself to sell it. Enjoy!
  10. Yeah I've found that one out pretty quickly!
  11. welcome aboard :]
  12. Wow thanks for all the reply's'and roundabout advice, like anything more practice! and yes it is a great area for rides, I like the comment about pointing my chin in the direction I'm going:), love my little CB too<3, I dont know if I'll be able to part with it too when I move onto something bigger
    • Like Like x 1