Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie Needs a Helmet - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Chucks, May 9, 2006.

1. Hi All,

As a glasses wearer I was thinking about getting a flip-up helmet as opposed to a regular full face.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

p.s. Love your work guys(and gals) have learned heaps just reading through the forums. Cheers. C

2. Hey Chucks! Welcome to the Forums!!

Only tip I can give you is try on as many as you can. You'll find the brand and style thats the most comfortable for you. I find the Shoei fit best for me when I wear glasses. Enjoy the search!! :grin:
  3. As YammyChick said, just try as many types you can, and find one that fits comfortably. I ended up with a HJC full-face model for about $300. It's plenty comfortable, but the wind noise can be a bit severe at highway speeds. :(

I use a clear visor because I ride at night a bit, and just wear my sunnies underneath during the day. If you don't want to wear contacts, I'd try your glasses on with the helmets in the shop. I'm happy with a full face instead of a flip one, because I'm fairly certain the chin piece won't move even if I have a bad off.
  4. Yup, best advice is to take your glasses to a big store or several small ones and try as many brands on as possible. You'll find plenty that fit well with glasses.
  5. Chucks,

Welcome to the forum.

As per other responses, try on as many as you can. As it's your noggin' you're looking after, resist the cheaper options. I wear a full face Shoei and sunnies all the time and no drama - don't even know I'm wearing them. I'm with rb and prefer a solid chin-piece.
  6. Yeah, I went with a Shoei, though I don't wear glasses. My girlfriend does however, and she also got a Shoei :)

Good luck!
  7. I bought a Nolan N102 flip-face helmet last week. It made a 900k trip home in the rain and dark on Sunday a lot more comfortable. It came with a 'fog city' type anti fog insert that worked fine, even when I was being turned back by heavy snow near Adaminaby. It has an extra half-height tinted visor that flips down over the clear visor. It was good to be able to just flip it up when it started to get dark, rather than have to stop and change visors. It seems to also have a nice rain-x type coating, but I don't know how long it will last. It has good ventilation, a useful breath guard, and a curtain under the chin that kept out the cold even up at Thredbo.

I paid $350 (marked price $399) at the Yamaha place in Ringwood. It's a newish model that I haven't seen elsewhere.
    I'm normally an L but an M fitted me nicely (and fit is the most important thing in a helmet).
  8. Thanks for the comments all.

Will do as suggested and just try lots on till I find one that's just right for my melon.

Thanks for the feedback on the Nolan moike, will make sure to try one.

9. Like this ay?
  10. One of the tricky things for a newby can be knowing what a good fit feels like.

A well fitting helmet should feel a little bit tight, and should apply even pressure all over the head, including the back of the head, the forehead and the cheeks. You should feel like your cheeks are just a bit squashed. The lining will settle in afte a short while, and if the helmet isn't a bit tight to start with, it will be too loose. On the other hand, there should be no part of the helmet that feels much tighter than the rest. Doung a 500k day with the helmet biting into your forehead is not a nice thing.

With the helmet on, and the chin strap done up snug (you shouldn't be able to put a finger between the strap and tour chin without feeling discomfort) try to dislodge the helmet. You shouldn't bne able to push the back up so that the front drops appreciably or vice versa. You shouldn't be able to make the helmet twist very far sideways without severe discomfort.

Oh, and just in case you are a *real* newby, there is a technique to getting a full-face helmet on and off without removing your ears. The helmet shell has some flex, so you should be able to grip it by the chin-straps and pull outwards to make the opening a little wider while you slip it on over your ears. If you don't need to, it's probably too big.

I wear glasses, and I find it's not difficult to get into the routine of taking off the glasses, and holding them between third and fourth finger while putting on a full face helmet. You should be easily able to slip your glasses on once the helmet is in place. Don't forget to take your glasses off before attempting to remove the helmet. It hurts.

With flip front helmets, try to get one that can be operated with one hand. The nolan has two buttons one above the other on the chin guard. Pressing the lower one with a thumb pops the top one out so that it can be pulled down with the first finger of the same hand. It's a nice compromise. The double action makes it less likely the chin guard will be released accidentally, but you can still do it with one hand.

I was looking at a cheaper flip front (can't remember the brand.. something like "KFJ" for about $299) I thought it's hinge mechanism felt a bit fragile, in that opening and closing it made odd graunching noises. HJC make a nice one that's a bit more expensive, and although my old HJC flip-front was a good fit, the newer model seems a different shape and didn't feel right.

The one vital thing is fit. Everything else is secondary. Don't get so hung up on style/price/graphics that you end up with a bad-fitting helmet. You'll regret it.

Do have a look at how the visor mechanism works, particularly if you expect to be swapping between clear and tinted visors a lot. The ones that work without tools are a lot more convenient. A smooth profile over the visor hinge can reduce noise.
  11. After my recent off where I ended up hitting the ground face first, taking out a chunk of the chin gaurd in the process, I certainly would never consider anything but a conventional full face helmet.
  12. I can't see anything at that link.

It looks like this

In my normal riding position, the tinted part of the visor covers all of the visor that I normally look through. The clear part is what I look through to see the instruments. It sounds odd, and looks a bit like a space-cadet helmet, but it works for me.
  13. fairy nuff. Your choice.

Given that there are no standards or tests for the impact resistance of the chin guards on conventional full-face helmets, I'm comfortable with the idea that the steel frame, hinges and securing pins of my flip-front is probably as strong. Any impact on the face is likely to be one that tries to push the chin guard down, rather than up, so I don't see it going anywhere except in a crash that would destroy a conventional one anyway.

On the other hand, I'm also quite comfortable with wearing an open face helmet around town. Mine has a full visor that protects me from wind/stones/insects etc, and gives me slightly better vision. I can do a head-check with less effort and see more. I figure that that bit of primary safety is worth the slightly reduced secondary safety. But it's my choice, and I won't try to convince anyone else to do likewise.
  14. I wear glasses, and that was the reason I went for a flip-up helmet, in my case Nitro F317VZ which I got for $300. I am very happy with it, because just as I was hoping, I can get it on and off my head without taking the glasses on and off every time, which would drive me mental (as my daily riding consists of large number of short trips).
    So yeah - I think flip-ups are the way to go for us 4-eyes. BTW, as others said, it should feel too tight at first, but it will stretch and mould around your head after a while. Which means you might still take your glasses off at first, but it should get better!
  15. g'day chucks and welcome

i must say i'm sort of very interested in my next helmet being a flip(per) - as any Brisbane rider will confirm, pausing at the lights for 3 minutes in our filthy humid summer heat is simply hellish - i'd love to flip up the lid and then once moving along and the air flow improves the comfort level - then flip down.