Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie makes a mistake in bike purchase - oops

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by The Boc, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hey all - I know bike choice for learners has been covered over and over but I am asking again (I am sorry if I will bore some of you with my dilemma)
    I have not ridden for over 10 years and even then it was only trail bike around a paddock. I have just been and passed the learner riding course here in NSW and the computer test as well.
    I purchased a 94 model Honda VFR 750F at a good price (compared to what I saw them for on Ebay,Trading post and the usual bike sales web sites) Thinking that after my L's I could complete my P's test and I would be fully licenced (I'm mature age and in NSW you can do this)
    I am not confident in proceeding in going for my P's nor am I fully confident in riding on the roads (other than local quiet streets)
    I purchased the VFR to ride to work (Bowral to Milperra) and am unsure of how a smaller bike would handle the trip (100k's each way)

Should I sell the VFR and buy a CBR250RR or similar? Save my money until I'm confident on the CBR and then upgrade?

If I was younger and not an old man (All of 30) with no wife(She thinks the bike is a midlife crisis), Mortgage and 2 children I wouldn't care but I am older and a bit (But not much wiser) and don't want to end up with a pile of bike bits and a sore body after laying it over into some tree.

An help would be great guys (& Girls)

Thanks in advance
    Shane - "The Boc"
  2. noooo, don't get rid of the VFR; learn to ride it and enjoy, and thank your motorcyling god that you accidentally bought a bike almost perfectly suited to what you want to do with it!!!
  3. I would be inclined to invest on some good one on one training on your current bike and practice in queit roads rather than suffer the loss of reselling.

Congartulations on owning up to your situation. I dont know hoe much exposure you have had to this bike, but maybe some good training on YOUR bike might help
  4. Thank god, I thought you'd bought a Hyosung.

The VFR is a brilliant bike, and easier to ride than a CBR250.

You will, however, plough whatever you learn on into various bits of scenery and other road users. Doesn't matter if you learn on a 1000cc or a 250, chances are you're gonna drop/smash/slide/munt it.

If you can't handle that thought, stick with cars. If you can, get yourself some good safety gear, chuck a few bucks at some training courses, get out among it and stop being such a nancy!
  5. "If you can't handle that thought, stick with cars. If you can, get yourself some good safety gear, chuck a few bucks at some training courses, get out among it and stop being such a nancy!"

It doesn't really have anything to do with being a nancy just wanting be a confident rider rather than being a newbie who under estimates that next bend and takes that bloke with the big mouth on the Kawasaki........

It doesn't really have anything to do with being a nancy just wanting be a confident rider rather than being a newbie who under estimates that next bend and takes out that bloke with the big mouth on the Kawasaki........
  7. I'm also a new rider at 30, I borrowed a 250cc cruiser for my P's test and then bought a Ducati Monster 695. As long as you are mindful of your limitations there's nothing wrong with jumping on a bigger bike. If anything, the bigger bikes handle better, stop better and give you a lot more confidence.

Keep the VFR, it'll be ideal for covering the distances you're talking about commuting. Borrow or buy a cheap 250 to get back in the swing of things and pass your test, then jump on the VFR.

Riding on the roads is a strange experience at first, getting to 80km/h seems breathtaking, but it won't take long for you to feel a lot happier on the bike. Just bear in mind that you will always have a lot more to learn and treat the bike with respect and you won't go wrong.
  8. Now, play nice, boys.

Steve, Loz wasn't having a go at you, he's a good guy and a great rider. But he's right; get out there and practice, get some advanced training and ride for yourself, not what people around you are doing (not what they might expect of you).
  9. Steve, I live in Wollongong and I or a dozen blokes like me who ride the Highlands every day would be happy to give you some tips and help to get your confidence up (but STILL book in for a professional training course!).
  10. Hornet -

Thanks for the great offer, I will definitly take you up on your offer of the tips etc.

I thought it was only fair to have a gee up of Loz after the Nancy comment and it was only said as a joke and as a newbie I am expecting some ribbing

The only issue I have with getting out there on the VFR is that fact that I am not licensed to ride it and would hate to see the blue and red lights with a big fine sitting behind me.

Any advice from anyone regarding buying a POS (Piece of S%#t) bike that I could ride legally and do my P's on (Or hire one of there's) and then unleash the VFR (Unleash it to my zone of being comfortable anyway)
  11. As you are in NSW there are plenty of options on the LAMS list.

Perhaps a road registerable trail bike might be a good stopgap?
  12. Sorry, I didn't mean advice on the type of bike but thoughts on buying a POS until I get my unrestricted licence. I feel uneasy about riding the VFR because if I lose my licence there goes my job.
  13. Just hire a bike to do the test on.
  14. I'd recommend some training courses. They're brilliant and will give you the skills to be confident much faster than without them.
  15. Buy a cheapie LAMS bike, get some confidence up around the local neighbourhood again, do the test and just take it easy mate. I went from never riding a bike onto a Z 650 for six months, then onto a GTR 1000 after that. I am still here nearly two years and 25+k kms later.
    Oh yeah, and defiitely do some training, I loved my Stay Upright Advanced course, and they have a course tailored to returning riders too.

Regards, Andrew.
  16. I think the plan of jumping straight onto your VFR once you've got your P's is a good one, but until you get those P's, don't go riding a bike you're not licenced to ride! How did you imagine going for the P's? You can't rock up on your VFR, they won't let you use it for the test anyway. You'll have to hire their bike, so that alone will cost you a small bundle.

I would keep the VFR, buy another cheap bike to do the test on, book for the test quickly, and sell the bike immediately afterwards. Who cares what - any learner's legal bike you can get at a good price - you'll only use it for a couple of weeks, tops. With a bit of luck you'll come out of that deal even (or almost even) and you'll still have a good bike to use once you've got your P's.
  17. Best way to get confident is to get out and ride as much as possible in all sorts of different conditions - and do lots of courses.

...ya nancy!

18. So if I got this right, you bought a bike that's not LAMS approved, on the assumption that as mature licenced driver, you wouldn't be LAMS restricted once you got onto your P's... if that' right and you don't want to lose the VFR or your licence, so that only leaves you one option: Keep the VFR in storage and get a second bike.

Get a LAMS POS if there's no chance your wifey will come over to the dark side and learn to ride.

On the other hand, if she's keen, get a decent bike. A good ZZR250 or one of those faired suzuki 500's might be a good option.

But if you can move to any bike (I'm in Vic - we have a different system), take up Hornet's offer + courses + time in the saddle. The VFR is a good bike. Like Bangalla said - you'll get used to the speed and with practice and courses your skills will come up in no time. You seem keen. level headed and conscientious ... all in your favour bro.

Good luck.
  19. Thanks for all of your advice and tips guys.

I have decided to go down the POS route. Get a cheap LAMS approved bike - Any ideas of bikes under 250cc and under $1500 would be great ??? Old trail bike Suzuki DT or Honda XL maybe???

Ride around for a month or so on my L's, do the practice / Tuition session with the stay upright company (Are they any good???) Then get my P's - or being mature age get my open licence.

Flog the POS and ride the VFR.

By the way LOZ - It's "Miss Nancy" to you......LOL LOL
  20. You don't need to buy under 250 cc, look at the LAMS list, plenty of older, dirt cheap larger bikes out there, and none of them wil bite you hard.
    Buy a 250 and pay through the nose..........

Regards, Andrew.