Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie looking to learn as much as possible about motorbikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Vineyard Performance Team, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Hi there!

I'm planning to go for my Motorbike License this year (already have my gift certificate for my l's ready to go!) and have bike gear, just no bike as yet!

I absolutely love being a pillion rider however I am now looking to become a bike rider/owner myself.

Would appreciate any advice and any information that will assist me in gaining more knowledge about motor bikes.
  2. welcome to the nut house.
  3. The first decision you have to make is what kind of bike you want to ride when you are all "grown up"... (hehe)...

If you want to ride the latest greatest superbike, you need to learn about sports bikes...

If you want to ride a big chopper, you need to learn about cruisers...

If you want to tour australia, you want to learn about Tourers....

If you want to go offroad you want to learn about dirt bikes....

Make your decision and take it from there :)
  4. I'm the opposite. I hate being pillion. I like to be in control :LOL:

As for info? where do we start?

What kinda bike u fancy? sports/touring etc?

Budget? etc etc

Good luck on everything mate :wink:
  5. That's some great and simple advice.
    Sometime though you can think you like a certain kind of bike, but once you ride one you find you don't like them. So, you may need to try lots of bikes before you find the kind you like. (I hope I don't sound like a marrige counselor!)
  6. I started with a slightly used(2-year old) VTR250 for a couple of reasons. It was naked so less problems if I dropped the bike. Had a little more power than other starter 250s so it would keep me interested longer(especially during the long 12 months on a restriction). It was a little exy(being from a dealer) but was within my price-bracket. I new nothing about bikes so I bought from a dealer to avoid any nasty surprises from a private sale. I didn't know what sort of bike I would want in the long run so I figured it didn't matter what style of bike I started with.

Since moving states, and meeting eligibility criteria, I got off my restriction early and bought a CBR600F4i brand new. One, because I had the money and two, because I wanted to try out a sports bike first as it was the nearest style to what I was still learning on. I wanted a 600 to take an easy step up in power ie. a little more forgiving. Am looking at taking some test rides/hiring some other style of bikes now that I have about 10000km under my belt to see if I like them.

Another area to look at is bike maintenance, especially if you like getting your hands dirty, because from the first day you have your bike you will have lots of questions about how to look after it. Questions from how to best lube the chain, to how to change brake pads. There are heaps of maintenance sites, including one great one that has a GI Joe doll doing all the work(something like Sarge's bike maintenance - search it on google in the US). I also bought a Haynes techbook - Motorcycle Maintnenace Techbook. Has great information about all sorts of bike maintenance from the very basics to the very detailed. Also search the net for manuals for the bike you get. I found a Honda general service manual and a workshop manual for my current bike.

Buy magazines. I buy the Australian version of Two Wheels(monthly) and Australian Roadrider(quarterly) religiously. Heaps of great features about new and old bikes, maintenance, touring and columns on riding.

Check out all the state government road authority websites such RTA(NSW), Vic Roads(VIC), Transport SA etc. They have some good information about riding, safety and regulations. And of course, check out bike advocacy groups such as MRAA, Motorcycle Council of Australia etc.

That should keep you busy for a while.
  7. Oh dear, you asked a pack of bikers for their opinions on something.

Next week once this thread has died down, and the in-fighting stops you may be able to glean something useful. Until then it wouldn't hurt to start looking at Australian bike magazines and see what get's the heart fluttering. Two Wheels and AMCN are both widely read.
  8. welcome to the forum. and you have certainly come to the right place for info.
  9. Welcome to the forum
  10. Hi guys!

Thank you for your postings! All the information received so far has been very useful. Thank you for your assistance.

I am looking at Sport bikes specifically for on road riding and may also do some touring around the country once I have some miles under my belt. I adore the Aprilia bikes but unless I win Tattslotto I can just keep dreaming! :LOL:

Also for State restrictions/rules etc, I am based in Victoria. I have previously in the past as a pillion rider tested a number of bikes (sport and touring bikes), and I have noticed the difference in how they go, handle various road conditions, cornering etc however they are all big bikes. I am most certainly not ready and experienced enough for the bigger bikes at this stage and couldn't anyway whilst on L plates. I'd rather stick to a smaller bike and become brilliant at riding that properly first before even contemplating of a bigger bike.

Keep the info coming!
  11. Good choice mate :!:
  12. If you plan on continuing to enjoy being a pillion - don't learn to ride. However the view from the front is much much better and once you have learnt you won't go back! Thats from personal experience, I am now the world's worst pillion after 10 years of riding but can honestly say that learning to ride is the best thing I ever did!
  13. Depending on how much you want to spend, you may want to try a 98 honda CBR 250 RR. Very agreeable bike, basically bullet proof, and quick enough to keep up with the bigger kids when they're not giving it too much wrist.

Piccy is here and a site chock-full of 250's is here also.