Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Newbie looking for a bike

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Ariseno, May 31, 2012.

1. Hi guys, my name is Ari. It's been two months since I got my l's and it's been two months of no riding because I can't get the bike I want.

In saying that I would like a second opinion because I'm looking at this bike vtr 250 for around $4200 but it's got like 50,000k's on it and it's in another state.

What would you do?

All comments are welcome.

Ari.

2. Hi,

Firstly welcome.

VTR's are good bikes but a bit more information will help get you better opinions.

Height, weight and what sort of ridding you are planning to do, IE commuting, weekend to the shops, just twisters etc will help.

If you have not done so already have a good look here -
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

You may find that a lot of your questions have been asked and answered already.

Cheers Jeremy

3. As jem said, what kind of riding are you going to be mostly doing?

and have you looked on ebay,here,bikesales,gumtree,trading post... for bikes in your price range, if you're dead set on the VTR you may find more than one on any of those websites..

surely there has to be more than one.

Also regarding k;s, doesn't matter how many k's its done, if its been serviced and maintained regularly.. and not been flogged to shit or what have you, its still going to be fine for god knows how many more k's.

prime example is hornet had a bike that i'm fairly sure had over 100,000ks on it.. and is running perfectly that someone recently bought of him, why? because it was looked after and serviced and maintained properly.

Its not like once it reaches x amount of k's its going to fall apart on you, a brand new bike could do that.

There's heaps of info on here regarding all sorts of bikes, and heaps of threads on servicing and the like, so have a search and do a bit of research.
    Also regarding interstate buying, once again do your research.. don't trust the person who's selling it to you to be entirely honest unfortunately, perhaps ask someone from here who is trusted and knowledgeable and is in the particular state the bike is in, to go on your behalf and check it out.. there are certainly people who would do it free of charge for you, or you could get a mechanic there to go do a check on it maybe.. whatever suits you.

And obviously make sure the bike exists hence getting someone from here to check for you.. rather than falling for a scam and sending your money nowhere, or if you're really paranoid once again try find a bike locally.. there is thousands of bikes for sale every day.. so don't just buy the first one you see.

and good luck on your motorcycling endeavors.

4. welcome to NR, in short the VTR250 is one of the most popular bikes to learn on.
    good luck in your search

5. Thanks Jem, Mikey213 and goddie. The responses are much appreciated.

I've just purchased my first 2006 Honda VTR 250. I believe it's in great condition, only two owners and all the service history receipts supplied. It's matte black and looks awesome. I'm extremely happy! woohoo!

Cheers,

Ari