Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

newbie, long rides and sore wrists

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Nimco, Sep 16, 2011.

1. I expect a few jokes to come from this posting particularly around wrist and exercising....

I've been riding for a couple of months now every day to work and back and have built up enough confidence to go for longer rides to the royal national park and the likes. One issue I have found is by the end of a 2 hour ride I experience a pain in my wrist on the clutch arm on the underside, it seems to be from the repetitive motion of changing gear (i ride a ninja 250 and find I am constantly changing gears in traffic). It becomes so intense that I struggle to pull in the clutch by the end of the ride.

My arms are relaxed most of the time and I've been training myself to rest my hands lightly on the bars and not hold on too tight and i'm using legs and posture to hold my bodyweight. Sooooo.... i'm trying to work out what is causing the pain? Is it something that will get better the more I ride and build up muscles in the arm/wrist? Incorrect position of clutch lever? Or something I am doing wrong with my technique?

2. angle of your wrist? might be pulling the clutch too far? set it so you only need a brief pull (so to speak) less than 1/3. probably only need that already if you get the timing right.

3. as soon as you get some more experience and confidence you wont need to use the clutch to change gears

4. I've always set my bikes up with clutch lever height set so with fingers resting on the lever the back of the hand is in line with the forearm.
    Try it. If it doesn't work or you don't like it, move it back.

5. I found that a lot of that "noob wrist" came from sitting at the lights holding the clutch in rather than changing gears.

It might not be the best thing to do, but when resting at the lights, you might want to try changing into nuetral and taking your hand off the clutch to rest it. its debatable if this is safe/good thing to do, at the very least if your safe with stationary cars behind you, no chance of being rear ended and you know the lights timings is long, good time to rest your leftie.

For your info, you'll probably go thru the same thing again when you upgrade. Open bikes clutches are usually heavier than a 250cc, but the flip side is you don't have to change gears as often. I.E 70kmh on a 250cc = 5th gear, 70kmh on a 600cc = 3rd gear and on a thou, you just stay in third.

Oh yeah, obligatory use your left hand instead of your right when looking at pRon joke!

6. thanks for the replies guys, lots of great advice

I've actually realised that I pull the clutch in all the way every time, so i've been practicing today on the ride to and from work to only pull it enough to disengage it, and it seems to exert less pressure on the wrist, see how I go on longer journeys.

Definitely think that could be half the problem. I may also try adjusting the angle of the clutch to keep my wrist straight, hopefully that will help too

7. listen to what Takamii is saying; practice clutchless shifting....

8. I had the same problem originally but the more I relaxed the less the fatige appeared.

9. What is the science behind clutchless shifting? Can you shift without clutch at any time or only at a certain Rev range for each gear?

10. The clutch and brake levers are proabky set up for when you are down on bike in more of a racing position.
    When you ride you are proably more upright. This means that your wrists have to be held with the fingers high to cover the levers. (arching your wrists)

You should/might be able able to rotate them down, so in your regular position, your wrists align nicely with your forearms.

All sportsbikes are built with sports riding in mind. Down on the tank , hanging or leaning off inside the bike.
    To check this...while on the bike move your epper body down until you upper arm and forearm create a rough 90deg bend inside your elbow. Now look at your wrist/ forearm/lever position. It is probably going to be well aligned??. That is the expected position of the rider from the factory.

You can usually rotat the levers so they are down more - (rotated down and away from you). See if you can find a happy medium with the adjutments.

11. I've been rear ended after the guy behind me stopped. But only way to prevent that one would be riding on the footpath

12. #12 twistngo, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Its easiest for upshifting. I don't really do it but often only just brush the clutch when changing up. Helps the timing.
    You can hear it on this.
    [media=youtube]2qkRiytX5lQ[/media]
    There's all sorts of stuff on the web
    http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0704_clutchless_upshifting/index.html
    Clutchless downshifting is too hard for me to do deliberately. Need to have blipping sorted.

13. It's important to be proficient at both for depth of skill...
    But you should'nt be doing clutchless shifts just to avoid an excessively soar wrist!

14. Thanks guys plenty of food for thought!

Am definitely going to try adjusting the position of the clutch and continue to limit the amount I squeeze when pulling in the clutch and see how much of an impact that has on longer rides
    will keep you posted!

15. #15 raven, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    That's an interesting view. You should push it a bit at some of our noobs, so they can see clutch work...umm... working . :))

Also curious, is your habit of leaving your fingers on the lever, until you get on the gas again. I've developed the exact same habit, which i didn't know about for years. Then my partner started taking camera pics of me and there it was. I don't do it for any reason. It's just something I do.

I suspect it's road riding. I'm instinctively leaving it there in case i need to go down another gear, as i see rhe corner is tightening up, or for a slow car or rider, around the corner.
    Anyway, it was just interesting to note your control regimen.

16. it's probably not the reason the guy in the vid would give, but usually if you see someone riding with two fingers over the clutch like that it's because he's been riding two-strokes at some stage or other, I know that's why I still do it, even though I haven't been on one for over 20 years :LOL:.